Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cant see Master on network

Cant see Master on network

justintime

Im sure the answer to this is in the NG somplace but I cant find it.

I had to reinstall XP pro on my Master (office)computer. Im using a
Lynksys Router. I can see my laptop, the wife's computer and my media
computer from the master, I can see all the other computers from each of
the computers but I cant see my master from any of them.
The master does not show up in the work group computers. I dont know how
to add it. When I click on sharing it wont let me check anything. When I
re installed XP I used the same work group.

Can someone tell me how to get this computer on the network? I have
tried and cant.

Thanks

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
to be shared.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"justintime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im sure the answer to this is in the NG somplace but I cant find it.
>
> I had to reinstall XP pro on my Master (office)computer. Im using a
> Lynksys Router. I can see my laptop, the wife's computer and my media
> computer from the master, I can see all the other computers from each of
> the computers but I cant see my master from any of them.
> The master does not show up in the work group computers. I dont know how
> to add it. When I click on sharing it wont let me check anything. When I
> re installed XP I used the same work group.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get this computer on the network? I have tried
> and cant.
>
> Thanks

justintime

Jack:
Nice guide. However Im using Simple file sharing and the problem is
when I click sharing on a drive the Network Sharing and Security section
"Share This Folder" is grayed out. I cant click it.

(MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is allowed
> to be shared.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "justintime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Im sure the answer to this is in the NG somplace but I cant find it.
>>
>> I had to reinstall XP pro on my Master (office)computer. Im using a
>> Lynksys Router. I can see my laptop, the wife's computer and my media
>> computer from the master, I can see all the other computers from each of
>> the computers but I cant see my master from any of them.
>> The master does not show up in the work group computers. I dont know how
>> to add it. When I click on sharing it wont let me check anything. When I
>> re installed XP I used the same work group.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to get this computer on the network? I have tried
>> and cant.
>>
>> Thanks

justintime

It appears that my server services is not started, I can not find it in
the Services directory.

justintime wrote:
> Jack:
> Nice guide. However Im using Simple file sharing and the problem is
> when I click sharing on a drive the Network Sharing and Security section
> "Share This Folder" is grayed out. I cant click it.
>

> (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>> Hi
>> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
>> settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is
>> allowed to be shared.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "justintime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Im sure the answer to this is in the NG somplace but I cant find it.
>>>
>>> I had to reinstall XP pro on my Master (office)computer. Im using a
>>> Lynksys Router. I can see my laptop, the wife's computer and my media
>>> computer from the master, I can see all the other computers from each
>>> of the computers but I cant see my master from any of them.
>>> The master does not show up in the work group computers. I dont know
>>> how to add it. When I click on sharing it wont let me check anything.
>>> When I re installed XP I used the same work group.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to get this computer on the network? I have
>>> tried and cant.
>>>
>>> Thanks

justintime

Trying to fix the problem using MS help > 1. Click Start, click Run,
type services.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
> 2. In the Services list, click Server.
> 3. On the Action menu, click Start.

I find that there is NO Server in the services list.

Does anyone know how to add it?

justintime wrote:
> It appears that my server services is not started, I can not find it in
> the Services directory.
>

> justintime wrote:
>> Jack:
>> Nice guide. However Im using Simple file sharing and the problem is
>> when I click sharing on a drive the Network Sharing and Security
>> section "Share This Folder" is grayed out. I cant click it.
>>

>> (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
>>> settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>>> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is
>>> allowed to be shared.
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "justintime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

David Hettel

Have you clicked on | Start (menu) | Control Panel | Network Setup Wizard?
or have you clicked Add or Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Componets |
and checked Networking Services?

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"justintime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trying to fix the problem using MS help > 1. Click Start, click Run, type
> services.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
>> 2. In the Services list, click Server.
>> 3. On the Action menu, click Start.

> I find that there is NO Server in the services list.
>
> Does anyone know how to add it?
>

> justintime wrote:
>> It appears that my server services is not started, I can not find it in
>> the Services directory.
>>

>> justintime wrote:
>>> Jack:
>>> Nice guide. However Im using Simple file sharing and the problem is
>>> when I click sharing on a drive the Network Sharing and Security section

justintime

Yes I did both I did the network setup and then I removed the network
services and then re installed them. I still get the same error when I
select Sharing,
"The Service is not started"

David Hettel wrote:
> Have you clicked on | Start (menu) | Control Panel | Network Setup Wizard?
> or have you clicked Add or Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Componets |
> and checked Networking Services?

Eric Cross [MVP]

Hello justintime,

Try these steps which is described in this MS KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885859/en-us

If the Server Service is not listed, install File and Printer Sharing for
Microsoft Networks. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, and type ncpa.cpl in the Open box, and then click
Ok.
2. Right-click the Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
3. click the General tab, and then click Install.
4. Click Service, and then click Add.
5. In the Network Services list, click File and Printer Sharing for
Microsoft Networks, and then click Ok.
6. Click Close.

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"justintime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Hettel wrote:
>> Have you clicked on | Start (menu) | Control Panel | Network Setup
>> Wizard?
>> or have you clicked Add or Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Componets
>> |
>> and checked Networking Services?

justintime

There was no File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks only
"Service Advertising Protocol"

I guess its looking like a complete new install of XP inst it?

thanks