Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > printing off home printer from laptop?

printing off home printer from laptop?

=?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHlwYXBl?=

hello, i setup my printer for sharing from my desktop. i want to print from
my wireless connection through my laptop. when i try to add a new printer
with the computer name and printer name to my laptop, it says driver not
loaded on source computer . i know it is though because the printer works
fine. any ideas? also i have a security program like zonelabs that says i
should add the ip address from the laptop into the trusted zone of the
program. where do i locate the ip address of my laptop when i'm connected? i
have no problem doing the ipconfig on the desktop from a command prompt but
this doesn't work on my laptop, it doesn't show anything. thanks for any
help.. Randy

Malke

randypape wrote:

> hello, i setup my printer for sharing from my desktop. i want to print
> from my wireless connection through my laptop. when i try to add a new
> printer with the computer name and printer name to my laptop, it says
> driver not loaded on source computer . i know it is though because the
> printer works fine. any ideas? also i have a security program like
> zonelabs that says i should add the ip address from the laptop into
> the trusted zone of the program. where do i locate the ip address of
> my laptop when i'm connected? i have no problem doing the ipconfig on
> the desktop from a command prompt but this doesn't work on my laptop,
> it doesn't show anything. thanks for any help.. Randy

For the printer, install the printer on the laptop from either the cd
that came with the printer or download the installation program from
the printer mftr.'s website. Then you'll be able to add the printer to
the laptop through the Add Printer routine.

For the firewall, use an IP range for your subnet such as
subnet.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

David Hettel

What OS is running on your laptop? What happens when you type ipconfig.exe
on the laptop? Sounds like you may have a problem on the laptop it should
show something, even if all it shows is it can't find the command.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"randypape" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello, i setup my printer for sharing from my desktop. i want to print
> from
> my wireless connection through my laptop. when i try to add a new printer
> with the computer name and printer name to my laptop, it says driver not
> loaded on source computer . i know it is though because the printer works
> fine. any ideas? also i have a security program like zonelabs that says i
> should add the ip address from the laptop into the trusted zone of the
> program. where do i locate the ip address of my laptop when i'm connected?
> have no problem doing the ipconfig on the desktop from a command prompt
> but
> this doesn't work on my laptop, it doesn't show anything. thanks for any
> help.. Randy

=?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHlwYXBl?=

win xp and when i put in ipconfig in a command prompt window, nothing comes up
as far as ip addresses . how do i find my subnet #

"David Hettel" wrote:

> What OS is running on your laptop? What happens when you type ipconfig.exe
> on the laptop? Sounds like you may have a problem on the laptop it should
> show something, even if all it shows is it can't find the command.
>
> --
> David Hettel

> E-mail or news groups.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> no rights.
>

> "randypape" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hello, i setup my printer for sharing from my desktop. i want to print
> > from
> > my wireless connection through my laptop. when i try to add a new printer
> > with the computer name and printer name to my laptop, it says driver not
> > loaded on source computer . i know it is though because the printer works
> > fine. any ideas? also i have a security program like zonelabs that says i
> > should add the ip address from the laptop into the trusted zone of the
> > program. where do i locate the ip address of my laptop when i'm connected?
> > have no problem doing the ipconfig on the desktop from a command prompt
> > but
> > this doesn't work on my laptop, it doesn't show anything. thanks for any
> > help.. Randy

David Hettel

Normally you would use ipconfig.exe In theory you should have the same
subnet as any of the other computers in the network check one of them, I
would suggest that you try rebuilding the Winsock see this page;
http://www.soton.ac.uk/iss/computing...s/winsock.html you may also
want to take a look at this page; http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm