Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 2900XL password recovery and configuration

2900XL password recovery and configuration

fassler fassler is offline
Junior Member
Location: Buffalo

I've read up on the Cisco site and some posting in here back in July and performed a password recovery on our 2900XL switch. All seemed to go fine. I got in and was able to set some configuration stuff, but when I left the station for a while it booted me off and low and behold the password change I implemented apparently did not take effect. Now I can't get in to make sure my other configuration changes stuck. I did a "write memory" when I was complete and I also did a show running-config etc to verify my password change could be seen. What am I missing? People at work are going to get ****ed off at me if I keep having to power down the switch and interupt Internet and VoIP service every time I want to work with the switch.

HELP.

globalchicken globalchicken is offline
Member
Location: Sacramento

Did you do everything that is listed in this link for password recovery? It sounds as if you might have missed a step at the end.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...4.shtml#topic1

fassler fassler is offline
Junior Member
Location: Buffalo

Thanks for responding. I did forget to disable secret prior to trying to change the password so perhaps that explains part of it. This still doesn't explain why I lost my priority assignment to the VoIP port upon a reboot or why I can no longer ping or telnet into the Switch from a workstation. However, I do seem to have everything set up properly at the moment and our VoIP traffic appears to be getting the proper preference over generic web traffic. I just have my doubts if my configuration changes will survive a power outage or a reboot.

I did do the ^Z and write to memory before quiting.

Regards,
Bill

globalchicken globalchicken is offline
Member
Location: Sacramento

Try instead of a wr command use copy run start.
Then issue a show start to see if your config is in your startup-configuration.
You want your configuration to be held in your startup as well as your running. Your startup configuration is the one that will hold passwords, ip addresses, and all other configuration information and this will be loaded on a reboot.
Also i am assuming you are using hyperterminal to console in. Am i right? you can issue your show run and copy the output. Save this to your pc as a text file in wordpad. Now you have a copy of the config and to put it back into the switch, just console back in, go to enable mode, config mode, then paste the configuration back into the switch.

fassler fassler is offline
Junior Member
Location: Buffalo

Ah, very good advice. Thanks for all, will get back later today or tomorrow and let you know how things went.

globalchicken globalchicken is offline
Member
Location: Sacramento

No problem hope all goes well for you.

fassler fassler is offline
Junior Member
Location: Buffalo

globalchicken if you are still out there, Please see my new thread for the continuation of this saga.