Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > blocked COX IPs

blocked COX IPs

Jeff

I have a 3 PC home wireless network using a router and WPA encryption in
Windows XP. It works fine except for intermittent loss of internet access
by one OR the other PC every week or two. This is not simultaneous and I
could not ever find the reason.

I also have Zone Alarm (free version) and just noticed what might be the
reason but am not sure. I noticed that the following IPs are being blocked
ns2.dc.cox.net [68.100.16.25]
ns1.dc.cox.net [68.0.16.30]
ns1.ri.cox.net [68.9.16.30]
Searching on the internet, I discovered these are COX servers. I plan to
place them in the "trusted" firewall zone but was wondering if this was the
obvious problem I have been searching for.

Is there something I should do with the router too?

Thanks.

Jeff

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If the blockage is permanent, then unblock it, other wise it does not mean
too much, there can be pings, and or irrelevant traffic that were blocked
from these IPs.
Try another Software Firewall, I personally do not find the ZA free, to be
friendly for Networks.
http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a 3 PC home wireless network using a router and WPA encryption in
>Windows XP. It works fine except for intermittent loss of internet access
>by one OR the other PC every week or two. This is not simultaneous and I
>could not ever find the reason.
>
> I also have Zone Alarm (free version) and just noticed what might be the
> reason but am not sure. I noticed that the following IPs are being blocked
> ns2.dc.cox.net [68.100.16.25]
> ns1.dc.cox.net [68.0.16.30]
> ns1.ri.cox.net [68.9.16.30]
> Searching on the internet, I discovered these are COX servers. I plan to
> place them in the "trusted" firewall zone but was wondering if this was
> the obvious problem I have been searching for.
>
> Is there something I should do with the router too?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff

Jeff

Thank you. These blocks were listed as incoming and UDP protocols.

Jeff