Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > VB6 to VN.net, asp.net guidance

VB6 to VN.net, asp.net guidance

rg

I am starting the journey from VB6 to the dotnet world.

Are there web sites available to guide an old VB6 developer through this?

What is the best way to start this?

I need to learn dotnet vb.net, asp.net then crm.

Regards.

RobinS

I'd check out Tim Patrick's new book --
Start-to-Finish Visual Basic 2005 -- that comes out 11/15.
From what I understand, you get to learn VB2005 and write
a whole application, not just lots of little ones. I think
it has web stuff in it, too. I noticed it on amazon, and am
looking forward to it coming out.

Good luck.
Robin S

"rg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am starting the journey from VB6 to the dotnet world.
>
> Are there web sites available to guide an old VB6 developer through this?
>
> What is the best way to start this?
>
> I need to learn dotnet vb.net, asp.net then crm.
>

> Regards.

Scott M.

Check out http://ASP.NET as well as the Quickstart Tutorials provided with
the .NET SDK.

Most importantly, if your coming to ASP.NET with a background in VB6 and /
or classic ASP, you should not approach ASP.NET with any pre-conceived ideas
about how to get stuff done. VB.NET and ASP.NET are completely different
beasts than VB6 & Classic ASP.

"rg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am starting the journey from VB6 to the dotnet world.
>
> Are there web sites available to guide an old VB6 developer through this?
>
> What is the best way to start this?
>
> I need to learn dotnet vb.net, asp.net then crm.
>

> Regards.

RobinS

Do you have any other books you recommend for ASP.Net? I want to
learn that, but don't know anything other than basic HTML. I know
VB.Net, and want to learn ASP.Net, but there are a lot of books to
choose from. A recommendation or two would be helpful.

Since I haven't done any ASP.Net, I have preconceived notions.
Isn't that keen?

Thanks,
Robin S.
-----------------------------
news:OA2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check out http://ASP.NET as well as the Quickstart Tutorials provided with
> the .NET SDK.
>
> Most importantly, if your coming to ASP.NET with a background in VB6 and /
> or classic ASP, you should not approach ASP.NET with any pre-conceived
> ideas about how to get stuff done. VB.NET and ASP.NET are completely
> different beasts than VB6 & Classic ASP.
>

> "rg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am starting the journey from VB6 to the dotnet world.
>>
>> Are there web sites available to guide an old VB6 developer through this?
>>
>> What is the best way to start this?
>>
>> I need to learn dotnet vb.net, asp.net then crm.
>>

>> Regards.

Scott M.

I really like "Programming Visual Basic .NET" by Francesco Balena (published
by MS Press).

The book is an excellent way to get into many aspects of .NET including
ASP.NET.

"RobinS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have any other books you recommend for ASP.Net? I want to
> learn that, but don't know anything other than basic HTML. I know
> VB.Net, and want to learn ASP.Net, but there are a lot of books to
> choose from. A recommendation or two would be helpful.
>
> Since I haven't done any ASP.Net, I have preconceived notions.
> Isn't that keen?
>
> Thanks,
> Robin S.
> -----------------------------
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OA2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Check out http://ASP.NET as well as the Quickstart Tutorials provided
>> with the .NET SDK.
>>
>> Most importantly, if your coming to ASP.NET with a background in VB6 and
>> / or classic ASP, you should not approach ASP.NET with any pre-conceived
>> ideas about how to get stuff done. VB.NET and ASP.NET are completely
>> different beasts than VB6 & Classic ASP.
>>

>> "rg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am starting the journey from VB6 to the dotnet world.
>>>
>>> Are there web sites available to guide an old VB6 developer through
>>> this?
>>>
>>> What is the best way to start this?
>>>
>>> I need to learn dotnet vb.net, asp.net then crm.
>>>

>>> Regards.

RobinS

Okay, that's really entertaining. My favorite book is
"Programming Visual Basic 2005: The Language" by
Mr. Balena. Mine doesn't really has ASP.Net
specific info, though -- it's just about the
VB language.

Is the book to which you refer the prior
version? Does it have a lot lf ASP.Net-specifics
in it, or is it primarily about the VB.Net language?

Great minds think alike,
Robin S.
--------------------------

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I really like "Programming Visual Basic .NET" by Francesco Balena
>(published by MS Press).
>
> The book is an excellent way to get into many aspects of .NET including
> ASP.NET.
>
> "RobinS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Do you have any other books you recommend for ASP.Net? I want to
>> learn that, but don't know anything other than basic HTML. I know
>> VB.Net, and want to learn ASP.Net, but there are a lot of books to
>> choose from. A recommendation or two would be helpful.
>>
>> Since I haven't done any ASP.Net, I have preconceived notions.
>> Isn't that keen?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robin S.
>> -----------------------------
>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OA2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Check out http://ASP.NET as well as the Quickstart Tutorials provided
>>> with the .NET SDK.
>>>
>>> Most importantly, if your coming to ASP.NET with a background in VB6 and
>>> / or classic ASP, you should not approach ASP.NET with any pre-conceived
>>> ideas about how to get stuff done. VB.NET and ASP.NET are completely
>>> different beasts than VB6 & Classic ASP.
>>>

>>> "rg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Scott M.

I am referring to the edition about the 1.1 Framework and VS .NET 2003.

The book is nearly 1400 pages, 227 of which (part IV of the book) is on
Internet Applications.

I realize this may not work for you if you are using 2005 and the 2.0
Framework, but I haven't started with that yet, so I can't really offer a
suggestion on that.

"RobinS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Okay, that's really entertaining. My favorite book is
> "Programming Visual Basic 2005: The Language" by
> Mr. Balena. Mine doesn't really has ASP.Net
> specific info, though -- it's just about the
> VB language.
>
> Is the book to which you refer the prior
> version? Does it have a lot lf ASP.Net-specifics
> in it, or is it primarily about the VB.Net language?
>
> Great minds think alike,
> Robin S.
> --------------------------
>
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I really like "Programming Visual Basic .NET" by Francesco Balena
>>(published by MS Press).
>>
>> The book is an excellent way to get into many aspects of .NET including
>> ASP.NET.
>>
>> "RobinS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Do you have any other books you recommend for ASP.Net? I want to
>>> learn that, but don't know anything other than basic HTML. I know
>>> VB.Net, and want to learn ASP.Net, but there are a lot of books to
>>> choose from. A recommendation or two would be helpful.
>>>
>>> Since I haven't done any ASP.Net, I have preconceived notions.
>>> Isn't that keen?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Robin S.
>>> -----------------------------
>>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:OA2$(E-Mail Removed)...

RobinS

Okay. Thanks for the info! Have a good day.
Robin S.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

MPLS Guidance Mark Cisco 2 11-11-2005 12:16 PM
Certification Guidance Azi Farooquee MCSE 1 03-05-2004 01:27 AM
MCP looking for guidance Storm MCSE 4 03-04-2004 07:01 PM
Guidance Needed for MCSD .net exam Kishor Jadhav MCSD 1 02-11-2004 09:12 AM
Re: Coding a c# wrapper class to unmanaged C++ program, need some guidance Brendan Duffy ASP .Net 0 07-25-2003 12:49 AM

Advertisments