Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Redirect network drive

Redirect network drive

Neil

did you hear JaR <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:47:33 -0800, Jtyc cast into the ether:
>
>> What's AD BOOM?

> The sound you get when they forget to put the pin back in the commercial.

ba-doom-AD-BOOM!

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- I left my tart in Aunt Fran's Crisco...

LRM

Clearly you've stumbled into a group that is not interested in just handing
you the answer to your problem. We like to see people figure things out for
themselves.
I'm not sure you are able to figure this out on your own.

You will need to do the following:
Decide how you are going to run your little shortcut login script. Are you
going to add it in the profile of each user? This is very time consuming if
you have lots of users. If we are talking about a dozen then hey no biggie
add it in the user profile.
If you need to use GPO, then you need to learn a few things about how to
create a gpo and how to apply the script so that all the users get it when
they log on.You do not need to connect via RDP to do this, you will need
access to sysvol and the Admin Pack needs to be installed on your machine.
How are you logging onto the network you are supporting? If you are
accessing it via vpn, then you simply need to make sure that the Admin tools
are installed on the machine you are using, and that you have admin creds.
GPO is the fastest way to get this done from your current starting point.
Now go forth and do great things. Next time look stuff up or hit a group
that will give you the answers without you having to do any of the work.

Here is the little VBS you can use to change out the goofy shortcut on your
cluser's desktops.

On Error Resume Next

set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
sDesktop = oShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
DesktopPath = Shell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

FSO.DeleteFile DesktopPath & "\Old.lnk"

set oSLink = oShell.CreateShortcut(sDesktop & "\New.lnk")

oSLink.TargetPath = "\\NewServer\NewFileShareName"

oSLink.Save

--
LRM
MCNGP 7^2

"Paul Telesco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, if terminal services wasn't scerwed up by one of the two previous
> admins, I'd not have a problem. I have to write login scripts and get them
> working without terminal services beig installed on that server - and yes,
> I've tried to activate it but somewhere along the way before i got into
> this
> company, it got removed - don't ask me how as I'm not the one who was
> here
> when it happened.
>
> And in general I think I'll just take care of the problem myself. The
> folks
> here seem to be more interested in being smart asses than helpful. Thanks
> for
> at least asking an intelligent question. I should have included more
> detail
> to start with to avoid the clowns.
> --
> The meaning of life? Easy - You ain''''t dead yet!
>

> "CBIC" wrote:
>

>> "Paul Telesco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > We have a new file server and I'm looking for a simple way to re-direct
>> > the
>> > current shortcuts on over 250 computers to the new location.
>> >
>> > Example - on each desktop there is a shortcut to the current location
>> > (\\old
>> > server\documents) and they need to go to (\\new server\documents)
>> >
>> > Any suggetions on doing this without having to hit each user's machine?
>> > The
>> > old server is Server 2000 SR4 and the new one is Server 2003 with all
>> > the
>> > newest whistles and bells.

>> I must be missing something here but can't you just modify the login
>> script?

LRM

"Dragon Without Wings" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "BD[MCNGP]" wrote:
>

>> "JaR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 15:13:49 -0500, FrisbeeĀ® cast into the ether:

>> > We really need to think about charging more.
>> >

>> FINE!!!! I'm DOUBLING my rate!!!
>>

> Cheer up guys, you are the employees of the month

That's because they wear the most flare.

Neil

did you hear "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Clearly you've stumbled into a group that is not interested in just
> handing you the answer to your problem. We like to see people figure
> things out for themselves.
> I'm not sure you are able to figure this out on your own.
>
> You will need to do the following:
> Decide how you are going to run your little shortcut login script. Are
> you going to add it in the profile of each user? This is very time
> consuming if you have lots of users. If we are talking about a dozen
> then hey no biggie add it in the user profile.
> If you need to use GPO, then you need to learn a few things about how
> to create a gpo and how to apply the script so that all the users get
> it when they log on.You do not need to connect via RDP to do this, you
> will need access to sysvol and the Admin Pack needs to be installed on
> your machine. How are you logging onto the network you are supporting?
> If you are accessing it via vpn, then you simply need to make sure
> that the Admin tools are installed on the machine you are using, and
> that you have admin creds. GPO is the fastest way to get this done
> from your current starting point. Now go forth and do great things.
> Next time look stuff up or hit a group that will give you the answers
> without you having to do any of the work.
>
> Here is the little VBS you can use to change out the goofy shortcut on
> your cluser's desktops.
>
> On Error Resume Next
>
> set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> sDesktop = oShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
> DesktopPath = Shell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
> Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>
> FSO.DeleteFile DesktopPath & "\Old.lnk"
>
> set oSLink = oShell.CreateShortcut(sDesktop & "\New.lnk")
>
> oSLink.TargetPath = "\\NewServer\NewFileShareName"
>
> oSLink.Save

is it sick that I found this technological brainpower display coming from
a female oddly arousing?

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- If it compiles, ship it.

LRM

news:Xns9874CFA068D1Eneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

> is it sick that I found this technological brainpower display coming from
> a female oddly arousing?

That's it! Get nekkid I'm coming over with the cuffs and leather paddle.
Hope you made toast.

Neil

did you hear "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:uQ$(E-Mail Removed):

> news:Xns9874CFA068D1Eneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
>> did you hear "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>> is it sick that I found this technological brainpower display coming
>> from a female oddly arousing?
>>

> That's it! Get nekkid I'm coming over with the cuffs and leather
> paddle. Hope you made toast.

I'll even get an extra loaf out of teh freezer. but do I get bonus points
for balancing my laptop on a single digit with no hands?

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- Walls. One of the few things you can just gloss over.

Neil

did you hear "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:uHudiQtAHHA.4740
@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

>> Cheer up guys, you are the employees of the month

> That's because they wear the most flare.

I have 17 pieces! What's wrong with that?

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- A cannibal only opens his mouth to change your feet.

LRM

news:Xns9874D666A94Cneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.16 ...
> did you hear "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
> news:uQ$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "Neil" <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9874CFA068D1Eneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
>>> did you hear "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>>

>>> is it sick that I found this technological brainpower display coming
>>> from a female oddly arousing?
>>>

>> That's it! Get nekkid I'm coming over with the cuffs and leather
>> paddle. Hope you made toast.
>>

> I'll even get an extra loaf out of teh freezer. but do I get bonus points
> for balancing my laptop on a single digit with no hands?

I don't see why you need extra points for that, you've already won as
evidenced by my bringing the leather paddle.

CertGuard

"LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> That's because they wear the most flare.

Speaking of....Aren't we about due for a Hawaiian Shirt Friday soon?

CertGuard

news:Xns9874CFA068D1Eneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...

> is it sick that I found this technological brainpower display coming from
> a female oddly arousing?

Not necessarily sick, but at your age, I'd say it's more luck that you can
find anything arousing. Then again, yeah, at your age it's sick too.

No....NOT...Just kidding....