Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless G on windows xp in a windows 2003 server domain

Wireless G on windows xp in a windows 2003 server domain

=?Utf-8?B?bWlrZQ==?=

I have a laptop with a built in wireless G card and wireless router connected
the network which is connected to a windows 2003 std server running active
directory, When the laptop is wired it logs in to the domain with out a
problem. But when the wire is disconnected and its time for the wireless to
work I noticed that the wireless light on the laptop will shut off before
windows XP SP2 is done shutting down and that when windows is starting the
wireless doesn't become available till after windows is fully up and running.
I've tried using the intel Proset manager that did nothing I've tried the
windows wireless manager and also didn't fix my problem.

David Hettel

I don't use windows server 2003 so perhaps I'm missing something, but I
don't really see a problem. Yes a wireless connection will take longer to
make than a wired connection, and will also end before a wired connection.
In my Intel ProSet utilities there is an option to make a wireless
connection during the booting process, this begins the making of the
wireless connection a little earlier, but there is more involved in making a
wireless connection, as both devices figure out what security to use and
what speed to use.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop with a built in wireless G card and wireless router
>connected
> the network which is connected to a windows 2003 std server running active
> directory, When the laptop is wired it logs in to the domain with out a
> problem. But when the wire is disconnected and its time for the wireless
> work I noticed that the wireless light on the laptop will shut off before
> windows XP SP2 is done shutting down and that when windows is starting the
> wireless doesn't become available till after windows is fully up and
> running.
> I've tried using the intel Proset manager that did nothing I've tried the
> windows wireless manager and also didn't fix my problem.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Your description as is does not indicate any problem.
Wire light might come on and off just by plugging or unplugging the wire,
and does not indicate the actual Status of the connection. The wireless
light might come On only when Windows is in advance stages of Booting.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop with a built in wireless G card and wireless router
>connected
> the network which is connected to a windows 2003 std server running active
> directory, When the laptop is wired it logs in to the domain with out a
> problem. But when the wire is disconnected and its time for the wireless
> work I noticed that the wireless light on the laptop will shut off before
> windows XP SP2 is done shutting down and that when windows is starting the
> wireless doesn't become available till after windows is fully up and
> running.
> I've tried using the intel Proset manager that did nothing I've tried the
> windows wireless manager and also didn't fix my problem.

=?Utf-8?B?bWlrZQ==?=

The real problem is that the laptop will not connect to the domain on the
wireless because of the delay in getting the wireless up and running under
windows. so i want to know how do i go about getting the wireless service to
start sooner in windows so that when the logon screen appears the wireless is
up and running.