Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Acquiring IP animated icon despite DNS

Acquiring IP animated icon despite DNS

=?Utf-8?B?U2Fneg==?=

I have a laptop (running WinXP Home) in a WiFi network with USR MaxG wireless
router/modem. I previously used DHCP to connect to the router. I have changed
it to use DNS. Have specified IP on the laptop and the router is configured
to allow the specified IP and the router's DHCP is turned off and so is the
DHCP client service on the laptop. My network is fine.

Problem is: Sometimes, especially when I bring the laptop out of hibernation
or standby and it attempts to reconnect the WiFi, it displays the "acquiring
network address" balloon tip and the animated icon of acquiring network
address. It does connect and I can surf the Internet, but the icon stays the
same (i.e. displaying "acquiring network address"). I don't think it affects
connectivity, but the icon is rather irritating and illogical.

Please help.

David Hettel

Not sure how you have your network configured, but DHCP and DNS are NOT the
same thing! DNS is used to translate www.msn.com into it's IP address
207.68.172.246 DHCP is what gives your laptop it's IP address on the
network. By disabling DHCP and not preconfiguring everything into the
network adapter you created the error condition you see. You need both DHCP
and DNS running or you'll need to hard code your network adapters.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Sagz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop (running WinXP Home) in a WiFi network with USR MaxG
>wireless
> router/modem. I previously used DHCP to connect to the router. I have
> changed
> it to use DNS. Have specified IP on the laptop and the router is
> configured
> to allow the specified IP and the router's DHCP is turned off and so is
> the
> DHCP client service on the laptop. My network is fine.
>
> Problem is: Sometimes, especially when I bring the laptop out of
> hibernation
> or standby and it attempts to reconnect the WiFi, it displays the
> "acquiring
> network address" balloon tip and the animated icon of acquiring network
> address. It does connect and I can surf the Internet, but the icon stays
> the
> same (i.e. displaying "acquiring network address"). I don't think it
> affects
> connectivity, but the icon is rather irritating and illogical.
>
> Please help.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Probably you mean Static IP, rather then DNS.
Make sure that the laptop does not run any other Wireless Manger beside
Windows Zero Configuration.http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
It looks like some thing else is trying to acquire an IP (that is what the
running Icon means).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sagz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop (running WinXP Home) in a WiFi network with USR MaxG
>wireless
> router/modem. I previously used DHCP to connect to the router. I have
> changed
> it to use DNS. Have specified IP on the laptop and the router is
> configured
> to allow the specified IP and the router's DHCP is turned off and so is
> the
> DHCP client service on the laptop. My network is fine.
>
> Problem is: Sometimes, especially when I bring the laptop out of
> hibernation
> or standby and it attempts to reconnect the WiFi, it displays the
> "acquiring
> network address" balloon tip and the animated icon of acquiring network
> address. It does connect and I can surf the Internet, but the icon stays
> the
> same (i.e. displaying "acquiring network address"). I don't think it
> affects
> connectivity, but the icon is rather irritating and illogical.
>
> Please help.

=?Utf-8?B?U2Fneg==?=

Thanks Jack and David,
Yes, I did use the wrong term. I meant Static IP, as Jack correctly deduced.
I can't see any other wireless manager other than WZC. Is there a way to find
out? I had installed Intel's latest drivers, which forcibly installed Intel's
wireless manager. Uninstalling the Intel manager removed the drivers too. So
I manually installed the drivers (through device manager). This was months
ago. As of now, my laptop does not show Intel's manager being installed and
Wireless Network Connection properties shows that Windows manages my wireless
network.