Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Setting up wireless home network

Setting up wireless home network

=?Utf-8?B?dnNlbW9yeQ==?=

I have 3 PC's (2 running XP and 1 running XP Media) and 2 laptops both running
Win98se. All Sony comperters except of the 1 PC. Can I network them all?
What all do I need. My biggest problum is with the PC that is not Sony (it
may be to far away). Please help I am about to give up.

Malke

vsemory wrote:

> I have 3 PC's (2 running XP and 1 running XP Media) and 2 laptops both
> running Win98se. All Sony comperters except of the 1 PC. Can I network
> them all? What all do I need. My biggest problum is with the PC that
> is not Sony (it may be to far away). Please help I am about to give
> up.

Why are you about to give up? What have you tried that didn't work?

Computers running all MS operating systems can share files and printers.
The brand of the computer is irrelevant. Is file/printer sharing the
problem you're grappling with or is it the actual wireless network
setup?

You haven't told us what wireless hardware you're using - the router and
the wireless network adapters in the computers. What is "too far away"?

Without more specific information from you, it's impossible to give you
focused help. In the meantime, here are links explaining basic
networking which may help you:

Naturally you don't need to buy Linksys equipment, but this site has
good information geared to home/end users:
Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/