Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > setting up a in home network

setting up a in home network

=?Utf-8?B?Z21hbg==?=

hi I have to hp computers 1 desk top 1 laptop both have internal wireless
modems do i need a wireless router to make then talk to each other? the main
useage would be for printing. both unit seam to be sending the signals but
niether can find the other.

Lem

gman wrote:
> hi I have to hp computers 1 desk top 1 laptop both have internal wireless
> modems do i need a wireless router to make then talk to each other? the main
> useage would be for printing. both unit seam to be sending the signals but
> niether can find the other.

No, you don't need a wireless router, but depending on what you want to
do, it probably is the easiest, most secure, and most flexible option.

Do you just want the computer and the laptop to be able to share files
and possibly share a printer that's physically connected to one of them?

Do you want to share an Internet connection?

Do you want to be able to use the laptop more than a few feet away from
the desktop?

Take a look at this Linksys "Network Basics" flash tutorial:
http://tinyurl.com/eczd7
And this one on network security: http://tinyurl.com/appyq

You don't have to buy Linksys products, but the two tutorial gave you a
good introduction. They also will help you understand the terminology
used in networking. For example, you almost certainly do not have
"wireless modems" in either of your computers. If the laptop is new,
it's likely that it does have a built-in wireless network adapter.
Whether you have an internal wireless network adapter in your desktop is
less likely, but perhaps you ordered it that way (or installed it yourself).

Assuming that you do have a wireless network adapter in each computer,
the best answer to your question is yes, go buy a wireless router.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

AJR

Router not necessary. Review documentation to set up an "ad-hoc" (wireless
computer to computer) network

news:(E-Mail Removed)...