Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to access the external storage unit of storage router

How to access the external storage unit of storage router

=?Utf-8?B?SWduYXRpdXM=?=

Recently I bought a D-Link DI-624S Storage Router and it has two USB ports
that allows the attachment of an external storage device, such as USB flash
(in future, I want to attach an HDD). In the administrator page of the
D-Link, I can see the folders of the USB flash drive. But I canNOT see the
folders from my computer. Pls advise me how to access it?

David Hettel

Well what have you done? Have you checked the Share box under USB1 assuming
that your USB flash device is connected to it. Have you given it a name? Do
you have File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks enabled? Have you
launched My Network places?

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Ignatius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently I bought a D-Link DI-624S Storage Router and it has two USB ports
> that allows the attachment of an external storage device, such as USB
> flash
> (in future, I want to attach an HDD). In the administrator page of the
> D-Link, I can see the folders of the USB flash drive. But I canNOT see
> the
> folders from my computer. Pls advise me how to access it?

=?Utf-8?B?SWduYXRpdXM=?=

David,

Thanks.

I have checked the share box as well as giving it a name and it is confirmed
on the status page of the D-Link. I do not quite understand what you mean
for the rest of your question. However, I had successfully enabled the print
server and I can use it. I did try My Network Places and I cannot figure it
out. Mind you, I never did this before thus I do not even know the basic and
proper steps in installing such router and its storage unit. Perhaps could
you or someone can help what I need to do from step 1 and let me try and
learn!

"David Hettel" wrote:

> Well what have you done? Have you checked the Share box under USB1 assuming
> that your USB flash device is connected to it. Have you given it a name? Do
> you have File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks enabled? Have you
> launched My Network places?
>
> --
> David Hettel

> E-mail or news groups.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> no rights.
>

> "Ignatius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Recently I bought a D-Link DI-624S Storage Router and it has two USB ports
> > that allows the attachment of an external storage device, such as USB
> > flash
> > (in future, I want to attach an HDD). In the administrator page of the
> > D-Link, I can see the folders of the USB flash drive. But I canNOT see
> > the
> > folders from my computer. Pls advise me how to access it?

David Hettel

OK I don't have one of these, and instructions on the web are poor IMHO.
Based on what info it ask for, and does not ask for, I would suggest that
you try ftp://192.168.0.1 and see if they show up. Or change 192.168.0.1 to
what ever your default gateway address is if you changed that from the
default setting.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Ignatius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> David,
>
> Thanks.
>
> I have checked the share box as well as giving it a name and it is
> confirmed
> on the status page of the D-Link. I do not quite understand what you mean
> for the rest of your question. However, I had successfully enabled the
> print
> server and I can use it. I did try My Network Places and I cannot figure
> it
> out. Mind you, I never did this before thus I do not even know the basic
> and
> proper steps in installing such router and its storage unit. Perhaps
> could
> you or someone can help what I need to do from step 1 and let me try and
> learn!
>
> "David Hettel" wrote:
>
>> Well what have you done? Have you checked the Share box under USB1
>> assuming
>> that your USB flash device is connected to it. Have you given it a name?
>> Do
>> you have File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks enabled? Have
>> you
>> launched My Network places?
>>
>> --
>> David Hettel
>>
>> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
>> everyone
>> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
>> in
>> E-mail or news groups.

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
>> kind,
>> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
>> reliability
>> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
>> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
>> or
>> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
>> confers
>> no rights.
>>

>> "Ignatius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Recently I bought a D-Link DI-624S Storage Router and it has two USB
>> > ports
>> > that allows the attachment of an external storage device, such as USB
>> > flash
>> > (in future, I want to attach an HDD). In the administrator page of the
>> > D-Link, I can see the folders of the USB flash drive. But I canNOT see
>> > the
>> > folders from my computer. Pls advise me how to access it?

=?Utf-8?B?SWduYXRpdXM=?=

David,

It works after I set up the FTP server in the router. Thanks. By the way,
I have more questions:
1. how can place it on My Network Places so that I do not have placed
ftp://192.168.0.1 everytime to access the storage device.
2. what is the difference between File Sharing and FTP stated in the router
(my understanding is that Ican config FTP to accept access from WAN)?
3. I am going to purchase an application so that 2 of us can access to the
application with the embedded database via the wireless network. My old ICT
knowledge tells me to implement it using the Netware or Window Server. And
this is not the option I prefer (there are only 2 of us in the company plus
the maintenance efforts and knowledge to run the Window Server). I see there
is a function "Application Server". does it mean it can function Windows
Server such that we can access the application with record-locking
funtionality?

Thanks!
Thanks.