Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > WIC-4ESW Setup

WIC-4ESW Setup

Crispin @ IME

Hi,

We have a managed 1721 router that works just fine - it was
preconfigured by our ISP

I have installed a 4-port expansion card (WIC-4ESW) and expected to it
to either "just work" or to be configure it through additional
FastEthernet options on the router interface

But all I get listed in the config is our original ethernet interface?

<MYROUTER>(config)#interface range fastethernet ?
<0-0> FastEthernet interface number

Does this mean the card is not OK or I am missing a major step?

Thanks in advance,

Crispin

PES

Crispin @ IME wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a managed 1721 router that works just fine - it was
> preconfigured by our ISP
>
> I have installed a 4-port expansion card (WIC-4ESW) and expected to it
> to either "just work" or to be configure it through additional
> FastEthernet options on the router interface
>
> But all I get listed in the config is our original ethernet interface?
>
> <MYROUTER>(config)#interface range fastethernet ?
> <0-0> FastEthernet interface number
>
> Does this mean the card is not OK or I am missing a major step?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Crispin

Do a show version. If the 4esw doesn't show up, you don't have IOS to
support it. Also note, this is are layer switched ports card to make it
route between each port (I don't know if this is what you want), you
will need to configure each port in its own vlan and configure a virtual
trunk (IIRC). I think they will show up as one ethernet interface.

I don't have the particulars on the versions and configuration, but this
has been discussed in this group in the past. I think if you google
group comp.dcom.sys.cisco for the 4esw you will find good info.

--
-------------------------
Paul Stewart

Crispin @ IME

Thanks,

I did a show version, I get "12.3(6b)" and the docs from the WIC-4ESW
pages say I need "Cisco IOS Software Release12.3(2)XC (this is an early
deployment release that will merge into Cisco IOS Software Release
12.4T)"

I would have thought that 12.3(6b) was later than Release12.3(2)XC but
can't find a release history between them - and not sure about the XC
definition so even if I need to up the IOS how am I sure it is WIC-4ESW
compatible.

Crispin

show version...
IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-IPBASE-M), Version 12.3(6b), RELEASE
SOFTWARE (fc1)
Compiled Thu 20-May-04 00:20 by dchih
Image text-base: 0x80008120, data-base: 0x80C73B38

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

PES

Crispin @ IME wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I did a show version, I get "12.3(6b)" and the docs from the WIC-4ESW
> pages say I need "Cisco IOS Software Release12.3(2)XC (this is an early
> deployment release that will merge into Cisco IOS Software Release
> 12.4T)"
>
> I would have thought that 12.3(6b) was later than Release12.3(2)XC but
> can't find a release history between them - and not sure about the XC
> definition so even if I need to up the IOS how am I sure it is WIC-4ESW
> compatible.
>
> Crispin
>

> show version...
> Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
> IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-IPBASE-M), Version 12.3(6b), RELEASE
> SOFTWARE (fc1)
> Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
> Compiled Thu 20-May-04 00:20 by dchih
> Image text-base: 0x80008120, data-base: 0x80C73B38
>
> ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

In the show version did it show the 4esw? It should show all installed
wic's. 12.3(2)XC likely has far more features than 12.3(6b), and would
be considered a later release. I think you do need to upgrade the ios.

--
-------------------------
Paul Stewart

Doug McIntyre

"Crispin @ IME" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I did a show version, I get "12.3(6b)" and the docs from the WIC-4ESW
>pages say I need "Cisco IOS Software Release12.3(2)XC (this is an early
>deployment release that will merge into Cisco IOS Software Release
>12.4T)"

>I would have thought that 12.3(6b) was later than Release12.3(2)XC but
>can't find a release history between them - and not sure about the XC
>definition so even if I need to up the IOS how am I sure it is WIC-4ESW
>compatible.

Nope, 12.3(2)XC is a different train altogether than 12.3(6b), (and 12.4(x)T
is a different train altogether).

The 12.3(x)XX trains are usually special builds done just to support a
specific hardware item, in this case, it most likely is for your WIC-4ESW
which is a brand new piece of hardware, released something in the last
3-4 months. So, you'll have to specificly get the 12.3(x)XC train
loaded on your router.

Since the note mentions it, it'll probably be some time until code to
support this is in the mainline train (it the one without letters), as
the note says the XC train will migrate into 12.4(x)T, and all the
features of the 12.4(x)T train will migrate into the 12.5(x) mainline
train (ie. no letters).