Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Cookies

Cookies

Dan C

Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or
computer to Firefox 1.0.7 on second?

If so how?

Dan C

Ed Mullen

Dan C wrote:
> Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or computer to Firefox
> 1.0.7 on second?
>
> If so how?
>
> Dan C

Copy

cookies.txt
hostperm.1

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Mumia W. (reading news)

On 11/04/2006 09:44 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> Dan C wrote:
>> Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or computer to
>> Firefox 1.0.7 on second?
>>
>> If so how?
>>
>> Dan C

> Copy
>
> cookies.txt
> hostperm.1

These files are in the profile folder: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile

SteveG

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Dan C wrote:
>> Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or computer to
>> Firefox 1.0.7 on second?
>>
>> If so how?
>>
>> Dan C

> Copy
>
> cookies.txt
> hostperm.1

Ed,

Surely this method only works if the browser on the first computer is
Firefox? The OP doesn't specifically say he's got FF on both computers.
With IE (for example) there is no cookies.txt file as each cookie is
stored separately - albeit in the same folder.

--
Regards

Steve G

Ed Mullen

SteveG wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Dan C wrote:
>>> Is there a way to copy cookies from one browser or computer to
>>> Firefox 1.0.7 on second?
>>>
>>> If so how?
>>>
>>> Dan C

>> Copy
>>
>> cookies.txt
>> hostperm.1
>>

> Ed,
>
> Surely this method only works if the browser on the first computer is
> Firefox? The OP doesn't specifically say he's got FF on both computers.
> With IE (for example) there is no cookies.txt file as each cookie is
> stored separately - albeit in the same folder.

Good point; there is some ambiguity in the phrasing of the OP. IE does
have the ability to export cookies to a cookie.txt file if that is,
indeed, what the OP needs.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Dan C

Ed Mullen wrote:
> SteveG wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Copy
>>>
>>> cookies.txt
>>> hostperm.1
>>>

>> Ed,
>>
>> Surely this method only works if the browser on the first computer is
>> Firefox? The OP doesn't specifically say he's got FF on both
>> computers. With IE (for example) there is no cookies.txt file as each
>> cookie is stored separately - albeit in the same folder.
>>

> Good point; there is some ambiguity in the phrasing of the OP. IE does
> have the ability to export cookies to a cookie.txt file if that is,
> indeed, what the OP needs.

A couple of items. First, yes FF is same on both
computers, both are xp pro.
Secondly, I should have been more specific. I was
wondering where cookie.txt was hiding out, but I was
really wanting information on copying a specific cookie
set from one cookie.txt to another. Why? Example: My
wife subscribes to NYT and she uses Netscape 7.2. I don't
want to load her program to have to read it. And I think
it is crazy to pay another subscription. So I though that
I could go into her cookie.txt file, copy all the NYT
cookie stuff and paste it into mine. I don't see why it
would not work, on the face of it. But I am probably
missing something that I know nothing about.

There you have it, more flesh for the bones.

Dan

Ed Mullen

Dan C wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> SteveG wrote:

>>> Ed,
>>>
>>> Surely this method only works if the browser on the first computer is
>>> Firefox? The OP doesn't specifically say he's got FF on both
>>> computers. With IE (for example) there is no cookies.txt file as each
>>> cookie is stored separately - albeit in the same folder.
>>>

>> Good point; there is some ambiguity in the phrasing of the OP. IE does
>> have the ability to export cookies to a cookie.txt file if that is,
>> indeed, what the OP needs.
>>

> A couple of items. First, yes FF is same on both computers, both are xp
> pro.
> Secondly, I should have been more specific. I was wondering where
> cookie.txt was hiding out, but I was really wanting information on
> copying a specific cookie set from one cookie.txt to another. Why?
> Example: My wife subscribes to NYT and she uses Netscape 7.2. I don't
> want to load her program to have to read it. And I think it is crazy to
> pay another subscription. So I though that I could go into her
> cookie.txt file, copy all the NYT cookie stuff and paste it into mine.
> I don't see why it would not work, on the face of it. But I am probably
> missing something that I know nothing about.
>
> There you have it, more flesh for the bones.
>
> Dan

Make backup copies of cookie files on both profiles. Open the
cookies.txt files in Notepad or some other plain-text editor. Set word
wrap off. Copy and paste the cookie info from your wife's file to
yours. Save your file. See if it works.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

SteveG

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Dan C wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Good point; there is some ambiguity in the phrasing of the OP. IE
>>> does have the ability to export cookies to a cookie.txt file if that
>>> is, indeed, what the OP needs.
>>>

>> A couple of items. First, yes FF is same on both computers, both are
>> xp pro.
>> Secondly, I should have been more specific. I was wondering where
>> cookie.txt was hiding out, but I was really wanting information on
>> copying a specific cookie set from one cookie.txt to another. Why?
>> Example: My wife subscribes to NYT and she uses Netscape 7.2. I
>> don't want to load her program to have to read it. And I think it is
>> crazy to pay another subscription. So I though that I could go into
>> her cookie.txt file, copy all the NYT cookie stuff and paste it into
>> mine. I don't see why it would not work, on the face of it. But I am
>> probably missing something that I know nothing about.
>>
>> There you have it, more flesh for the bones.
>>
>> Dan

> Make backup copies of cookie files on both profiles. Open the
> cookies.txt files in Notepad or some other plain-text editor. Set word
> wrap off. Copy and paste the cookie info from your wife's file to
> yours. Save your file. See if it works.

Yep, pretty sure that will work

--
Regards