Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problems setting up bluetooth on laptop

Problems setting up bluetooth on laptop

Doo0592

Hi all,

I have been trying to get bluetooth set up on my laptop (came
pre-installed) since I got it last year. Yesterday I got a new mobile
(windows mobile) with bluetooth so i installed activesnyc had again had
no luck finding the device. After checking the help (which actually did
help for a change, lol), i followed the instructions and set the
computer to discoverable and added a comm port. Now at least i have two
error messages to work with! (progress).

The bluetooth radio is not currently plugged in (when adding comm
port)

and

error occured while saving your settings: settings not saved

discoverability settings
connection settings

There is also nothing in the devices and hardware tabs, is this normal?
Or does it mean i'm missing some vital bluetooth hardware? *gulp and
sigh*

Thanks for any help

Doo x

BobC

On 3 Nov 2006 15:47:14 -0800, Doo0592 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been trying to get bluetooth set up on my laptop (came
> pre-installed) since I got it last year. Yesterday I got a new mobile
> (windows mobile) with bluetooth so i installed activesnyc had again had
> no luck finding the device. After checking the help (which actually did
> help for a change, lol), i followed the instructions and set the
> computer to discoverable and added a comm port. Now at least i have two
> error messages to work with! (progress).
>
> The bluetooth radio is not currently plugged in (when adding comm
> port)
>
> and
>
> error occured while saving your settings: settings not saved
>
> discoverability settings
> connection settings
>
> There is also nothing in the devices and hardware tabs, is this normal?
> Or does it mean i'm missing some vital bluetooth hardware? *gulp and
> sigh*
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Doo x

Did you turn on the bluetooth in the laptop? Some laptops have a switch,
some use a function key, and some have some software that enables
bluetooth. Check your laptop manufacturer's documentation.

Doo0592

Ah, now I remember! I have a memory like a fish these days! I'd missed
one of the switches.

Thanks muchly x

Doo

BobC wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2006 15:47:14 -0800, Doo0592 wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been trying to get bluetooth set up on my laptop (came
> > pre-installed) since I got it last year. Yesterday I got a new mobile
> > (windows mobile) with bluetooth so i installed activesnyc had again had
> > no luck finding the device. After checking the help (which actually did
> > help for a change, lol), i followed the instructions and set the
> > computer to discoverable and added a comm port. Now at least i have two
> > error messages to work with! (progress).
> >
> > The bluetooth radio is not currently plugged in (when adding comm
> > port)
> >
> > and
> >
> > error occured while saving your settings: settings not saved
> >
> > discoverability settings
> > connection settings
> >
> > There is also nothing in the devices and hardware tabs, is this normal?
> > Or does it mean i'm missing some vital bluetooth hardware? *gulp and
> > sigh*
> >
> > Thanks for any help
> >
> > Doo x

> Did you turn on the bluetooth in the laptop? Some laptops have a switch,
> some use a function key, and some have some software that enables
> bluetooth. Check your laptop manufacturer's documentation.

Doo0592

I have to admit I did forget about that other switch, but i'm still
getting the same error messages

Doo

BobC wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2006 15:47:14 -0800, Doo0592 wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been trying to get bluetooth set up on my laptop (came
> > pre-installed) since I got it last year. Yesterday I got a new mobile
> > (windows mobile) with bluetooth so i installed activesnyc had again had
> > no luck finding the device. After checking the help (which actually did
> > help for a change, lol), i followed the instructions and set the
> > computer to discoverable and added a comm port. Now at least i have two
> > error messages to work with! (progress).
> >
> > The bluetooth radio is not currently plugged in (when adding comm
> > port)
> >
> > and
> >
> > error occured while saving your settings: settings not saved
> >
> > discoverability settings
> > connection settings
> >
> > There is also nothing in the devices and hardware tabs, is this normal?
> > Or does it mean i'm missing some vital bluetooth hardware? *gulp and
> > sigh*
> >
> > Thanks for any help
> >
> > Doo x

> Did you turn on the bluetooth in the laptop? Some laptops have a switch,
> some use a function key, and some have some software that enables
> bluetooth. Check your laptop manufacturer's documentation.

binoms binoms is offline
Junior Member

Hi Doo

I'm having the exact same problem, I have an Acer 8204 and for some reason I can't change my discoverable status, it gives me the same message you described. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

TheGUS TheGUS is offline
Junior Member

hey i had the same problem in "bluetooth devices" where it says it cannot save those settings to make it discoverable. and i just figured it out. hope this works for you all.

all i did from this point was install the bluetooth stack CD from my dell bluetooth 360 chip. then with no COM ports set on my mobile device, the software was able to recognize "activesync" on my mobile device, and it synced up in activesync when i set the computer's activesync software to the COM port that my bluetooth stack software said was for serial port. remember, no com port setting needs to be set on your mobile device!

GOOD LUCK!

hardy hardy is offline
Junior Member

hi and good day to all
the allow a device to connect option on my bluetooth panel is blurred gray and i can't click it.
i'm running a windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on my acer aspire, i've already tried everything posted on the net, i've uninstall and installed it a million times already but it's still blurred gray.
plz i need your help on this one so bad this problem is giving me many sleepless nights.
i even configured it on the local service menu and set it to automatic but still no effect...
really hoping you could help me this one...