Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Creative timed route-maps?

Creative timed route-maps?

Rob

Is there a way to configure IOS so that during a 1 hour period weekly
all IP traffic that is addressed to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx could be
redirected to address yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy? The respective traffic would
be going through a Cisco router, so I'm wondering if there is a
network solution to this problem before I ask the developers to change
their program. This is for a maintenance window.

-Bob

Matthew Melbourne

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a way to configure IOS so that during a 1 hour period weekly
> all IP traffic that is addressed to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx could be
> redirected to address yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy? The respective traffic would
> be going through a Cisco router, so I'm wondering if there is a
> network solution to this problem before I ask the developers to change
> their program. This is for a maintenance window.

You could certainly change the next-hop for certain packets using a
time-of-day access-list, but this may not be exactly what you require.

time-range ONEHOUREACHWEEK
periodic Sunday 08:00 to 09:00

access-list 100 permit ip any host x.x.x.x time-range ONEHOUREACHWEEK

route-map MAINTENANCE permit 10
match ip address 100
set ip next-hop y.y.y.y

interface Ethernet0
ip policy route-map MAINTENANCE
ip route-cache policy

You would, of course, need to ensure an accurate time reference on the
router, using NTP for example.

Other than that, you may be able to perform some creative conditional
outside NAT, again using time-of-day access-lists if the traffic is
traversing a router and you want to change the ultimate destination
address for specific packets.

Cheers,

Matt

--
Matthew Melbourne

Rob

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Bob

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:51:07 GMT, Matthew Melbourne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is there a way to configure IOS so that during a 1 hour period weekly
>> all IP traffic that is addressed to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx could be
>> redirected to address yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy? The respective traffic would
>> be going through a Cisco router, so I'm wondering if there is a
>> network solution to this problem before I ask the developers to change
>> their program. This is for a maintenance window.

>You could certainly change the next-hop for certain packets using a
>time-of-day access-list, but this may not be exactly what you require.
>
> time-range ONEHOUREACHWEEK
> periodic Sunday 08:00 to 09:00
>
> access-list 100 permit ip any host x.x.x.x time-range ONEHOUREACHWEEK
>
> route-map MAINTENANCE permit 10
> match ip address 100
> set ip next-hop y.y.y.y
>
> interface Ethernet0
> ip policy route-map MAINTENANCE
> ip route-cache policy
>
>You would, of course, need to ensure an accurate time reference on the
>router, using NTP for example.
>
>Other than that, you may be able to perform some creative conditional
>outside NAT, again using time-of-day access-lists if the traffic is
>traversing a router and you want to change the ultimate destination
>address for specific packets.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Matt

merv.hrabi@rogers.com

There are some additional things to consider. For example what protocol
is used between the end device and the target destination device? If
TCP could it be the case that a user has a TCP session open to x.x.x.x
when you want to switch it to y.y.y.y

Is DNS used or do users use the IP address to access the device in
question ?

Rob

Unfortunately, it is IP addresses.

On 5 Feb 2005 13:27:56 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>There are some additional things to consider. For example what protocol
>is used between the end device and the target destination device? If
>TCP could it be the case that a user has a TCP session open to x.x.x.x
>when you want to switch it to y.y.y.y
>

>Is DNS used or do users use the IP address to access the device in
>question ?

merv.hrabi@rogers.com

How many IP addresses need to be redirected during the maintenance
window ?

Are they being redirected to a DRP site ?

What IP protocols are in use - TCP, UDP, other ?

Are there sessions open to the production IP addresses at the
commencement of the maintenance window ?

Rob

I need to find out more myself. This was put upon me from an
application I am not familiar with (yet). Once I know more, I'll
repost.

Thanks for the help so far.