Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > %CRYPTO-4-RECVD_PKT_MAC_ERR: decrypt: mac verify failed

%CRYPTO-4-RECVD_PKT_MAC_ERR: decrypt: mac verify failed

James Harris

I am getting %CRYPTO-4-RECVD_PKT_MAC_ERR: decrypt: mac verify failed for
connection id=2056

on a new router-to-router VPN. I can't work out what it is trying to do.
Cisco's web site gives:

CRYPTO-4-RECVD_PKT_MAC_ERR : decrypt: mac verify failed for connection
id=[dec]
Explanation The MAC verify processing failed. This may be caused by
the use of the wrong key by either party during the MAC calculations.
This activity could be considered a hostile event.
Recommended Action Contact the peer administrator.

Which sounds OK but I have set up both ends of the link and traffic is
passing. The isakmp keys are preshared and correct. The security
associations for isakmp and ipsec look to be correct as well. I just get
this occasional message on one router only.

James Harris

"James Harris" <no.email.please> wrote in message
news:42049232$0$7711$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am getting %CRYPTO-4-RECVD_PKT_MAC_ERR: decrypt: mac verify failed for
>connection id=2056
>
> on a new router-to-router VPN. I can't work out what it is trying to do.
> Cisco's web site gives:
>
> CRYPTO-4-RECVD_PKT_MAC_ERR : decrypt: mac verify failed for connection
> id=[dec]
> Explanation The MAC verify processing failed. This may be caused by
> the use of the wrong key by either party during the MAC calculations.
> This activity could be considered a hostile event.
> Recommended Action Contact the peer administrator.
>
> Which sounds OK but I have set up both ends of the link and traffic is
> passing. The isakmp keys are preshared and correct. The security
> associations for isakmp and ipsec look to be correct as well. I just get
> this occasional message on one router only.

Found this error message in a few bugs on Cisco's bug tracker. One
workaround, to disable fast switching (no ip route-cache) seems to have
done the trick.

Jim

Hello James,

I am facing the same situation you are facing below. The fast
switching is disabled on the serial interfaces and enabled on the
Fastethernet. However, on the peer router they are enabled on both
serial and ethernet interface. I will try to enable this feature on
both sides and see the result. Please keep me updated if you have any
other work arround.

Regards,