Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Question about scope of ADI DNS replication

Question about scope of ADI DNS replication

Wingnut

Hello,

I have a quick question about the scopes of ADI DNS replication that
are available. If you are told that "DNS replication of the forest
root domain must be limited to forest domain controllers only" would
you in fact install the DNS service on all domain controllers and
create active directory integrated zones on each. And then replicate
the zones to all DNS servers in the FOREST

I assume when it says forest domain controllers only it means all
domain controlers in the forest? Or is there a chance it could mean
all domain controllers in the forest root domain?

Thanks for the clarification

Regards

=?Utf-8?B?VGVyZW5jZSBSYWJl?=

Hi Wingnut,

What is the context of your question? Where does it say "DNS replication of
the forest root domain must be limited to forest domain controllers only"?

To try answer your question anyway, if you choose the option that says "All
DNS servers in the Active Directory forest", then the ADI-zone data will go
to all DC's in the forest which have the DNS service installed on them.

This is an advisable option for the Forest Root domain DNS zones, because
the Forest Root domain hosts the default Global Catalogue, and therefore the
GC DNS records will be inthe Forest Root DNS zone. You want this zone to be
present on all the DNS servers in your network... it makes it quicker for all
clients to get the GC IP address.

See Technet (http://tinyurl.com/ycrxau) for more.

Hope that helps.
Terence Rabe
N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, MCT

"Wingnut" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a quick question about the scopes of ADI DNS replication that
> are available. If you are told that "DNS replication of the forest
> root domain must be limited to forest domain controllers only" would
> you in fact install the DNS service on all domain controllers and
> create active directory integrated zones on each. And then replicate
> the zones to all DNS servers in the FOREST
>
> I assume when it says forest domain controllers only it means all
> domain controlers in the forest? Or is there a chance it could mean
> all domain controllers in the forest root domain?
>
> Thanks for the clarification
>
> Regards

Frisbee«

"Terence Rabe" <Terence http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Terence Rabe
> N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, MCT

^^^^^^

Wow. With all due respect, Terence, that MCP musta been really hard to
achieve.

No wonder you display it so proudly.

Kline Sphere

>Wow. With all due respect, Terence, that MCP musta been really hard to
>achieve.

Yes, but which to do first, MCP or go straight for the MCSE?

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Frisbee«

"Kline Sphere" <.@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Wow. With all due respect, Terence, that MCP musta been really hard to
>>achieve.

> Yes, but which to do first, MCP or go straight for the MCSE?

I'm pretty sure that MCSE is one of the electives you can take for your MCP.

Neil

did you hear "Frisbee«" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:ur7Xqb2
$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Terence Rabe" <Terence (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Terence Rabe
>> N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, MCT

> ^^^^^^
>
> Wow. With all due respect, Terence, that MCP musta been really hard to
> achieve.
>
> No wonder you display it so proudly.

Be nice to Terence. He's a regular on Channel 2.

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- A dry sense of humor is better than slobbering everywhere

Kline Sphere

>> Yes, but which to do first, MCP or go straight for the MCSE?
>
>I'm pretty sure that MCSE is one of the electives you can take for your MCP.

really? i thought that was for A+, oh well...

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Frisbee«

news:Xns9870803A32B28neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear "Frisbee«" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:ur7Xqb2
> $(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "Terence Rabe" <Terence (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Terence Rabe
>>> N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, MCT

>> ^^^^^^
>>
>> Wow. With all due respect, Terence, that MCP musta been really hard to
>> achieve.
>>
>> No wonder you display it so proudly.
>>

> Be nice to Terence. He's a regular on Channel 2.

What do you think "With all due respect" means?

Oh, I see. You didn't think he was due any.

I noticed he altered his sig, and never thanked me, either.

furrfu

=?Utf-8?B?VGVyZW5jZSBSYWJl?=

"Frisbee®" wrote:

> "Terence Rabe" <Terence (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Terence Rabe
> > N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, MCT

> ^^^^^^
>
> Wow. With all due respect <SNIP>

^^^^^^^^
Oh yeah, I can feel the respect. Keep it coming

Neil

did you hear "Frisbee«" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:Oc1du#2
$(E-Mail Removed):

> I noticed he altered his sig, and never thanked me, either.

he's a brit IIRC...whatchagonnado

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.