Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT: Troops Answer back

OT: Troops Answer back

JaR

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 01:25:07 -0800, Cerebrus cast into the ether:

> I'd vote for you if you ran for Prez. I hope the little matter of my
> being non-American won't stand in the way !

Don't see why it should. It doesn't seem to matter here, at all, in fact,
it's illegal for a poll worker to even ask for ID when you vote.

Congress is considering a bill that will require Govt issued ID to vote in
the 2008 election, but it, like so much else in this do-nothing Congress
will likely stall till long after it's over, if not fail completely.

--
JaR
MCNGP 22

Jtyc

> That happens when the economy is in a sorry state, and the military is
> aggressively recruiting not-so-well-to-do people with catchy marketing.

I don't believe that's accurate. The GI bill has been around for decades,
through good and bad economies. Recruiters become more desperate in good
economies because there are plenty of jobs and people don't need the
military.

> It was quite apparent from Michael Moore's
> documentary.

Moore misrepresents information in the worst way.

And from a Marine standpoint, they have never sold the job as a way to
further their education. It's always been based on being the best you can
be. Improving yourself.

Cerebrus

JaR wrote:

> Don't see why it should. It doesn't seem to matter here, at all, in fact,
> it's illegal for a poll worker to even ask for ID when you vote.

What !!! Then how do they decide who is a valid voter and who is not ?
They must be asking for *some* sort of identification... ?

> Congress is considering a bill that will require Govt issued ID to vote in
> the 2008 election, but it, like so much else in this do-nothing Congress
> will likely stall till long after it's over, if not fail completely.

Governments usually stall over things that they fear will make them
lose popularity with the populace. If they executed the Voter ID scheme
effectively and efficiently, I don't see any reason for them to lose
favour with the public. (Or maybe I'm just naive)

BD[MCNGP]

news:Xns986F778B2BF30neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear "BD[MCNGP]" <CertGuard> say in news:#uQJNip$GHA.1224
> @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:
>
>> Something tells me I'll be voting even after I've died.

> someone has to do it for you

Well, if I'm gonna vote I want a voice.

JaR

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:16:04 -0800, Cerebrus cast into the ether:

>> Don't see why it should. It doesn't seem to matter here, at all, in fact,
>> it's illegal for a poll worker to even ask for ID when you vote.

> What !!! Then how do they decide who is a valid voter and who is not ?
> They must be asking for *some* sort of identification... ?

Nope. You are supposed to show proof of residence when you register, But
according to some, requiring govt issued ID will disenfranchise the
underprivileged or some twaddle. Seniors may not still have the required
birth docs, non-drivers may not have liscenes. You would not believe the
arguments I have heard to deny any sort of legislation proving legal right
to vote before doing so, other than a stern warning that if you do, it
will be against the law.

And in proof that the law works, one idot pointed me to a stat that
claimed in the last election over 50 cases of illegal voting were
prosecuted.

50.

Just 50.

Out of how many?

>> Congress is considering a bill that will require Govt issued ID to vote
>> in the 2008 election, but it, like so much else in this do-nothing
>> Congress will likely stall till long after it's over, if not fail
>> completely.

> Governments usually stall over things that they fear will make them lose
> popularity with the populace. If they executed the Voter ID scheme
> effectively and efficiently, I don't see any reason for them to lose
> favour with the public. (Or maybe I'm just naive)

Sorry, yes, your naivety is showing. There are races that are determined
by illegal voting here. It's a long and cherished American political
tradition.

All a politician has to do over here is suggest that he is for compusory
proof of voting rights, and he is in for a firestorm from the likes of
everyone from the ACLU to the farm labor board.

--
JaR
MCNGP 22

kpg

As Jtyc once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

> And from a Marine standpoint, they have never sold the job as a way to
> further their education. It's always been based on being the best you
> can be. Improving yourself.

I joined becuase I wanted to meet exotic people and kill them.

The GI bill was just a plus.

JaR

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:20:09 -0800, kpg cast into the ether:

> I joined becuase I wanted to meet exotic people and kill them.

An' shoot machine guns n' blow stuff up.

TAKATAKATAKATAKATAKAWHEEEEEEEEEBLAAAAMMMBUDDABUDDA BUDDABOOOOMM!!!!

WETSU Drill Sergeant!!!! Killem all an' let Ghod sort 'em out!

--
JaR
MCNGP 22

Cerebrus

Well then, this must be one of the (few) instances in which our
electoral system is more advanced than the American system. We have an
electoral ID system in place here. This was only possible because we
have a separate Election commission that has considerable powers and is
not subject to the whims of politicians. It was the on the
recommendation of the Election Commissioner that the system was
introduced many years back. Politicians understandably were not
pleased, but they could only twiddle their thumbs.

CertGuard

"Cerebrus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Well then, this must be one of the (few) instances in which our
> electoral system is more advanced than the American system. We have an
> electoral ID system in place here. This was only possible because we
> have a separate Election commission that has considerable powers and is
> not subject to the whims of politicians. It was the on the
> recommendation of the Election Commissioner that the system was
> introduced many years back. Politicians understandably were not
> pleased, but they could only twiddle their thumbs.

We would never get anything like that to work around here. Our pols have a
hard time trying to get their wives to work for them and not the other guy.

JaR

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:30:49 -0800, Cerebrus cast into the ether:

> This was only possible because we
> have a separate Election commission that has considerable powers and is
> not subject to the whims of politicians.

FAW! We have a Federal Election Commission, too. The six members of which
are appointed by the president. See:

http://www.fec.gov/members/members.shtml

"No more than three may belong to the same political party" So it's all
good then.

Weasels guarding the henhouse.

--
JaR