Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > SSL VPN for PIX coming soon?

SSL VPN for PIX coming soon?

you know who maybe

By this time next year I'll need to service at least 20 clients and it sure
would be nice to use SSL. We've been doing PIX-toPIX for five sites (515 at
HQ and 506's at remotes) and a handful of remote users but that's expected
to increase next year. SSL would be nice.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
you know who maybe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:By this time next year I'll need to service at least 20 clients and it sure
:would be nice to use SSL. We've been doing PIX-toPIX for five sites (515 at
:HQ and 506's at remotes) and a handful of remote users but that's expected
:to increase next year. SSL would be nice.

There was a recent thread in which a summary of the features of
PIX 7.0 was posted. Look for the loud argument about non-disclosure
agreements and trade secret law.

you know who maybe

news:cu0d53$d9n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> you know who maybe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :By this time next year I'll need to service at least 20 clients and it
> sure
> :would be nice to use SSL. We've been doing PIX-toPIX for five sites (515
> at
> :HQ and 506's at remotes) and a handful of remote users but that's
> expected
> :to increase next year. SSL would be nice.
>
> There was a recent thread in which a summary of the features of
> PIX 7.0 was posted. Look for the loud argument about non-disclosure
> agreements and trade secret law.

Thanks. I can't imagine version 7 would work with an old 515e or 506e and be
a free upgrade for those on smartnet.... or could it?

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
you know who maybe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Thanks. I can't imagine version 7 would work with an old 515e or 506e and be
:a free upgrade for those on smartnet.... or could it?

On the contrary, the 515E and 506E are two of the newest models.
The 515E in particular is, I gather, selling in volume. My
*expectation* is that the first release of 7.0 will work on the 515E;
it might, though, take to 7.0(2) or even 7.0(3) for 506E support.

If you have a CON- series smartnet contract, or an SAU- series
smartnet, then you will be entitled to 7.0 when it is released.
However, the SA- (or is it SAP-, I keep forgetting) series contracts
would in theory not be so entitled.
--
What is "The Ultimate Meme"? Would it, like Monty Python's
"The World's Funniest Joke", lead to the deaths of everyone who

you know who maybe

news:cu0ou2$rgj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> you know who maybe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :Thanks. I can't imagine version 7 would work with an old 515e or 506e and
> be
> :a free upgrade for those on smartnet.... or could it?
>
> On the contrary, the 515E and 506E are two of the newest models.
> The 515E in particular is, I gather, selling in volume. My
> *expectation* is that the first release of 7.0 will work on the 515E;
> it might, though, take to 7.0(2) or even 7.0(3) for 506E support.

That would be great. I'd would not be surprised if it need more memory -
that's simple and I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks if required..
However I'm not sure there are that many changes or are major advancements
that would require much more memory, such as adding SSL VPN. I don't
supposed the ability to use URL's for VPN peers has been added?

> If you have a CON- series smartnet contract, or an SAU- series
> smartnet, then you will be entitled to 7.0 when it is released.
> However, the SA- (or is it SAP-, I keep forgetting) series contracts
> would in theory not be so entitled.

Always the CON.

Thanks!