Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FF 2.0 and tracking cookies

FF 2.0 and tracking cookies

History Fan

With FF 1.5, there was a setting in the Privacy tab/Cookies heading
that let you accept cookies from the original site only. Selecting that
option really kept out tracking cookies. At least it did on my PC.
However, I don't see this option with FF 2.0, or else it has been re-worded.
How do I similarly configure FF 2.0?

Leonidas Jones

History Fan wrote:
> With FF 1.5, there was a setting in the Privacy tab/Cookies heading
> that let you accept cookies from the original site only. Selecting that
> option really kept out tracking cookies. At least it did on my PC.
> However, I don't see this option with FF 2.0, or else it has been re-worded.
> How do I similarly configure FF 2.0?

I don't know why they hid the pref, but you can fix it in about:config

Filter for:

network.cookie.cookieBehavior

Set the value to 1.

Lee

Rom

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:38:19 -0500, History Fan wrote:

> With FF 1.5, there was a setting in the Privacy tab/Cookies heading
> that let you accept cookies from the original site only. Selecting that
> option really kept out tracking cookies. At least it did on my PC.
> However, I don't see this option with FF 2.0, or else it has been re-worded.
> How do I similarly configure FF 2.0?

That's not the only pref I used and found no longer in Options.
Quick Preference Button: <https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1851/>,
adds "Prefs" to the menu bar for easy access to that and other prefs.

--
Rom

History Fan

> Quick Preference Button: <https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1851/>,
> adds "Prefs" to the menu bar for easy access to that and other prefs.

Thanks for the info. An interesting extension. Just installed it,
and enabled the setting to accept cookies from original site only. If
Spybot fails to find any Firefox tracking cookies in the future, I'll know
it worked.