Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT: Not too impressed with ASR

OT: Not too impressed with ASR

Jim Hatfield

I've just finished the MS study guide for 70-290.

I used VMWare Server to host Windows Server 2003, which made it nice
and easy to play around with the hardware, set up different disk
configurations etc.

I did the initial install into a 5Gb partition on an 8Gb disk, more or
less following the guidelines in the book. However this is much too
small, it really should have been 10Gb at least. Especially since I
might want to add Exchange Server 2003 later.

But...you can't span the system volume, so I can't extend it.

So I tried to use ASR. I assigned a second drive, ran the ASR Wizard
to do the backup, disconnected the first drive and connected an empty
20Gb one, then booted off the CD and let the ASR complete. And I get a
nice 20Gb drive - with a 5Gb system partition!!!! Aaargh! It would be
*really* useful if ASR would let you adjust the partitioning during
recovery.

What would happen if I did a fresh install - would the activation fail
since the product has already been activated?

BTW I'm amazed that ASR needs a floppy - who makes machines with
floppy drives nowadays? Thankfully VMWare helps again, I just used an
image.

JaR

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:34:26 +0000, Jim Hatfield cast into the ether:

> I used VMWare Server to host Windows Server 2003, which made it nice
> and easy to play around with the hardware, set up different disk
> configurations etc.

See, that's what I get for not reading all the posts before replying to
one

AFAIK, you can reinstall Server 2003 as many times as you want. And yes,
ASR sucks.

--
JaR
MCNGP 22

Jonathan Roberts

"Jim Hatfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> So I tried to use ASR. I assigned a second drive, ran the ASR Wizard
> to do the backup, disconnected the first drive and connected an empty
> 20Gb one, then booted off the CD and let the ASR complete. And I get a
> nice 20Gb drive - with a 5Gb system partition!!!! Aaargh! It would be
> *really* useful if ASR would let you adjust the partitioning during
> recovery.

You should be able to expand the size using Ghost or a Linux boot cd. (Look
at GParted, I believe is the name).

Jonathan