Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 837 Software IOS upgrade

Cisco 837 Software IOS upgrade

Richard Lane

Gday

I have a Cisco 827 which I intend to use in conjunction with a PIX 501
to provide a VPN network from headoffice to a remote location.

The 827 is an earlier machine which has an early IOS system software.

My question is, how do I upgrade the software and what actually am I
upgrading? Looking on the cisco website made me quite dizzy from all
the options...

The sho ver tells me this

adslrtr#sho ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software542), with hardware
revision 0000
IOS (tm) C820 Software (C820-Y6-M), Version 12.1(5)YB4, EARLY
DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
Compiled Tue 03-Jul-01 18:18 by ealyon
Image text-base: 0x80013170, data-base: 0x80672A1C

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(1r)XE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
ROM: C820 Software (C820-Y6-M), Version 12.1(5)YB4, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
RELEASE SOF
TWARE (fc1)

adslrtr uptime is 2 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c820-y6-mz.121-5.YB4"

CISCO C827 (MPC855T) processor (revision 0x701) with 15360K/1024K
bytes of memor
y.
Processor board ID JAD0543093E (2220698542), with hardware revision
0000
CPU rev number 5
Bridging software.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
1 ATM network interface(s)
8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

adslrtr#
Any help would be appreicated.

X--Eliminator

You can upgrade only to version 12.2, but not to version 12.3 which
requires the newer 827 which supports 48MB DRAM.

On 3 Feb 2005 16:30:51 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Lane)
wrote:

>Gday
>
>I have a Cisco 827 which I intend to use in conjunction with a PIX 501
>to provide a VPN network from headoffice to a remote location.
>
>The 827 is an earlier machine which has an early IOS system software.
>
>My question is, how do I upgrade the software and what actually am I
>upgrading? Looking on the cisco website made me quite dizzy from all
>the options...
>
>The sho ver tells me this

>adslrtr#sho ver
>Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software542), with hardware
>revision 0000
>IOS (tm) C820 Software (C820-Y6-M), Version 12.1(5)YB4, EARLY
>DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
>Compiled Tue 03-Jul-01 18:18 by ealyon
>Image text-base: 0x80013170, data-base: 0x80672A1C
>
>ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(1r)XE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
>ROM: C820 Software (C820-Y6-M), Version 12.1(5)YB4, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
>RELEASE SOF
>TWARE (fc1)
>
>adslrtr uptime is 2 minutes
>System returned to ROM by power-on
>System image file is "flash:c820-y6-mz.121-5.YB4"
>
>CISCO C827 (MPC855T) processor (revision 0x701) with 15360K/1024K
>bytes of memor
>y.
>Processor board ID JAD0543093E (2220698542), with hardware revision
>0000
>CPU rev number 5
>Bridging software.
>1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
>1 ATM network interface(s)
>128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
>8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
>
>Configuration register is 0x2102
>
>adslrtr#
>Any help would be appreicated.

BradReeseCom

Hi Richard,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco IOS Planner:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Softwar....cgi?majorRel=

The Cisco IOS Planner allows you more flexibility to browse for your
preferred software. You can view all major releases, all platforms, and
all software features from a single interface. Choosing a platform, a
maintenance release, or software feature will automatically limit the
other menu choices based on your selection, until you arrive at your
preferred software.

Cisco IOS Security Advisories: Cisco recommends that you read all
posted Security Advisories to ensure your release is not affected
and/or to provide you with the Software solutions... More Info

Note: To download 12.0 and older releases, please select "Library".

Narrow your choices by choosing a major release.
12.3 12.2 12.1
Library

Select options from the table below to find the software you want:

Choose Options
Select Platform Select Release Select Software Feature Set
350WIRELESSACCESSPOINT
827H
827-4V
10000-PRE1
10000-PRE2
1003-1004
1005
1100WIRELESSACCESSPOINT
1130WIRELESSACCESSPOINT
1200WIRELESSACCESSPOINT
1310WIRELESSBRIDGE
1400
1410WIRELESSBRIDGE
1601-1604
1601R-1605R
1751-V
2500FRAD
2501-2525
25FX
2610-2613
2610XM-2611XM
2620-2621
2620XM-2621XM
2650-2651
2650XM-2651XM
2651XM
3201-WMIC
3640A
4000-M
4500
4500-M/4700/4700-M
4700
6400-NRP-1
6400-NRP-2SV
6400-NSP
7304-NPE-G100
7304-NSE-100
7600-CMM
7600-MWAM
7600-SUP2/MSFC2
7600-SUP720/MSFC3
8850RPM-PR
8850RPM-XF
AS5200
AS5300
AS5350
AS5400
AS5400HPX
AS5800
AS5850-ERSC
AS5850-RSC
CAT2900XL-ATM
CAT2940
CAT2950
CAT2950LRE
CAT2955
CAT2970
CAT3550
CAT3560
CAT3750
CAT3750-METRO
CAT4000-AGM
CAT4000-SUP2-PLUS
CAT4000-SUP3
CAT4000-SUP4
CAT4000-SUP5
CAT4224
CAT4500-SUP2-PLUS-TS
CAT4500-SUP5-10GE
CAT4948
CAT5000-ATM
CAT5000-RSFC
CAT5000-RSM
CAT6000-ATM
CAT6000-CMM
CAT6000-MSFC
CAT6000-MSFC2
CAT6000-MSFC3
CAT6000-MWAM
CAT6000-SUP1/MSFC1
CAT6000-SUP1/MSFC2
CAT6000-SUP2/MSFC2
CAT6000-SUP720/MSFC3
CAT8510CSR
CAT8510MSR
CAT8540CSR
CAT8540MSR
CVA120
CVA120CVC
DISTRIBUTEDDIRECTOR2501/2502
DISTRIBUTEDDIRECTOR4700M
IAD2420
IAD2430
IAD2431-IAD2432
ICS7700
IGX8400-URM
LS1010
MC3810
MWR1900
NI2-6015
NI2-6100
NI2-6130
NI2-6160
NI2-6260
ONS15104
ONS15454-ML100-12T
ONS15454-ML1000-2
ONS15530
ONS15540
SB101
SB106
SB107
SLT
SOHO71
SOHO76
SOHO77
SOHO77H
SOHO78
SOHO91
SOHO96
SOHO97
UBR10K-PRE1
UBR10K-PRE2
UBR7100
UBR7200
UBR900
UBR905
UBR905CVC
UBR910
UBR920
UBR925
UBR925CVC
VG200
VG224

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide
United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
Website: http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm

Richard Lane

Gday

Thanks for the replies so far. I have checked out the website and it
certainly looks a little easier to understand. Just one last question
though...

How do i tell if I have any options in my 827. I gather in the sho ver
that a hardware revision of 0000 means it is the first model released.
How do you then know that it will only support an earlier version due
to memory requirments? Does this then mean I should be looking for a
general or limited deployment. I am a bit of a novice with software
updates for ciscos.

I intend to use the 827 in bridge mode with authentication to talk to
a PIX501 which will handle access-lists, etc.

Rich

"BradReeseCom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) oups.com>...
> Hi Richard,
>
> You may wish to investigate the Cisco IOS Planner:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Softwar....cgi?majorRel=
>
> The Cisco IOS Planner allows you more flexibility to browse for your
> preferred software. You can view all major releases, all platforms, and
> all software features from a single interface. Choosing a platform, a
> maintenance release, or software feature will automatically limit the
> other menu choices based on your selection, until you arrive at your
> preferred software.
>
> Cisco IOS Security Advisories: Cisco recommends that you read all
> posted Security Advisories to ensure your release is not affected
> and/or to provide you with the Software solutions... More Info
>
> Note: To download 12.0 and older releases, please select "Library".
>
> Narrow your choices by choosing a major release.
> 12.3 12.2 12.1
> Library
>
> Select options from the table below to find the software you want:
>
> Choose Options
> Select Platform Select Release Select Software Feature Set
> [...]

X-Eliminator

When you go to the Cisco website to download IOS, it tells you the
DRAM & memory requirements. All the IOS for ver 12.3 require 48/12 of
DRAM/memory. If you download the images for ver 12.2 then it will show
the requirement of 32/8. It.s not a question of general or limited
deployment. The older routers CANNOT be upgraded to 48 MB DRAM.

On 6 Feb 2005 15:54:39 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Lane)
wrote:

> [...]
>> preferred software. You can view all major releases, all platforms, and
>> all software features from a single interface. Choosing a platform, a
>> maintenance release, or software feature will automatically limit the
>> other menu choices based on your selection, until you arrive at your
>> preferred software.
>>
>> Cisco IOS Security Advisories: Cisco recommends that you read all
>> posted Security Advisories to ensure your release is not affected
>> and/or to provide you with the Software solutions... More Info
>>
>> Note: To download 12.0 and older releases, please select "Library".
>>
>> Narrow your choices by choosing a major release.
>> 12.3 12.2 12.1
>> Library
>>
>> Select options from the table below to find the software you want:
>>
>> Choose Options
>> Select Platform Select Release Select Software Feature Set

Arnoud Helmantel

X-Eliminator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When you go to the Cisco website to download IOS, it tells you the
> DRAM & memory requirements. All the IOS for ver 12.3 require 48/12 of
> DRAM/memory. If you download the images for ver 12.2 then it will show
> the requirement of 32/8. It.s not a question of general or limited
> deployment. The older routers CANNOT be upgraded to 48 MB DRAM.

Not entirely correct:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/..._fix/800/800up
grd.htm

Arnoud

--
Please use my first and last name in the address & remove '.invalid'
Mijn voor- en achternaam gebruiken in het adres zonder '.invalid'

X-Eliminator

That's a good link, but if you go back and look at his question then
you will see that according to the DRAM table in the link, the max
DRAM that he can put onto the 827 is 32MB. He didn't say that he has
the newer 827 which can be expanded to 48MB DRAM which is required by
the 12.3 IOS images.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:08:45 +0100, (E-Mail Removed)lid
(Arnoud Helmantel) wrote:

>X-Eliminator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> When you go to the Cisco website to download IOS, it tells you the
>> DRAM & memory requirements. All the IOS for ver 12.3 require 48/12 of
>> DRAM/memory. If you download the images for ver 12.2 then it will show
>> the requirement of 32/8. It.s not a question of general or limited
>> deployment. The older routers CANNOT be upgraded to 48 MB DRAM.

>Not entirely correct:
>
>http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/..._fix/800/800up
>grd.htm
>
>Arnoud

Arnoud Helmantel

X-Eliminator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That's a good link, but if you go back and look at his question then
> you will see that according to the DRAM table in the link, the max
> DRAM that he can put onto the 827 is 32MB. He didn't say that he has
> the newer 827 which can be expanded to 48MB DRAM which is required by
> the 12.3 IOS images.
>
> ================================================== =======
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:08:45 +0100, (E-Mail Removed)lid
> (Arnoud Helmantel) wrote:
>
> >X-Eliminator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> When you go to the Cisco website to download IOS, it tells you the
> >> DRAM & memory requirements. All the IOS for ver 12.3 require 48/12 of
> >> DRAM/memory. If you download the images for ver 12.2 then it will show
> >> the requirement of 32/8. It.s not a question of general or limited
> >> deployment. The older routers CANNOT be upgraded to 48 MB DRAM.

> >Not entirely correct:
> >
> >http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/..._fix/800/800up
> >grd.htm
> >
> >Arnoud

Oh, right, I didn't read careful enough... Judging by the topic I
thought we were still talking about an early 837... Nevermind my
ramblings

Arnoud

--
Please use my first and last name in the address & remove '.invalid'
Mijn voor- en achternaam gebruiken in het adres zonder '.invalid'

Spiff59 Spiff59 is offline
Junior Member

This is an old thread, but since it still comes up second from the top on a google search of "827 IOS memory", I thought I'd correct the record.

My 827H (bootstrap ver 12.2) is maxed at 32/8 memory and I've made the following conversions without a glitch:
First, from:
c820-oy6-mz.122-4.YA2.bin
to:
c820-oy6-mz.122-4.YA11.bin
and now, to:
c820-k9osy6-mz.123-15.bin

The coolest thing is that CRWS (3.3.0.31), which I'd always thought failed due to java problems, runs fine with the 12.3 IOS.

Here's some "show ver" data:

IOS (tm) C820 Software (C820-K9OSY6-M), Version 12.3(15), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Compiled Wed 25-May-05 07:26 by ssearch
Image text-base: 0x80013148, data-base: 0x80AA68F8

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(4r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
ROM: C820 Software (C820-K9OSY6-M), Version 12.3(15), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

xxxxxxxx uptime is 1 hour, 23 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload
System image file is "flash:c820-k9osy6-mz.123-15.bin"
CISCO C827H (MPC855T) processor (revision 0x205) with 31744K/1024K bytes of memo
ry.
Processor board ID xxxxxxxxxxx (xxxxxxxxxx), with hardware revision F503
CPU rev number 5
Bridging software.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
1 ATM network interface(s)
8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
2048K bytes of processor board Web flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Cisco's IOS Configurator clearly shows that 12.3 runs fine on a 32MB 827/827h. A 48MB 827-4V, 837 or newer router is NOT required.

jawid jawid is offline
Junior Member

Does anyone know what privilage level you need to download this?
Comes up with this for me:

--------------
Forbidden File or Application
The file or application you are trying to access may require additional entitlement or you are trying to access a file with an invalid name. Additional entitlement levels are granted based on a users relationship with Cisco on a per-application basis.

If you feel you have reached this page in error, please try one of the following methods to locate your document:

If you are manually entering the URL into your browser location bar, be sure to include the file name of the page you are trying to access (file names typically end in .htm, .html or .shtml).
Use the Search feature located in the upper right section of this page.
Return to the Cisco.com Home or select a primary site area from the top navigation bar.
Consult with your Cisco Account Manager to confirm you have the appropriate entitlement to access this page.
If you would like to contact someone about this problem, please click on the Contacts & Feedback link below.

If anyone has the IOS images handy, could someone please upload it somewhere?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.