Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Other people using my wireless connection... what to do?

Other people using my wireless connection... what to do?

=?Utf-8?B?QW5nZWx1Y2hhNTI=?=

A few weeks ago when I turn on my computer... the screen shows that
unsecurity wireless connection are on my pc computer.... that I should check
it out.

Going to Wireless network list, it appears as several computers are linked
to my wireless network.... What should I do in order to prevent other people
get into my computer and my wireless conection ? thanks.

angela

JP Bless

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm

"Angelucha52" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>A few weeks ago when I turn on my computer... the screen shows that
> unsecurity wireless connection are on my pc computer.... that I should
> check
> it out.
>
> Going to Wireless network list, it appears as several computers are
> linked
> to my wireless network.... What should I do in order to prevent other
> people
> get into my computer and my wireless conection ? thanks.
>
> angela

David Hettel

You may also want to take a look at, Wireless, Basic Configuration -
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html and

David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"JP Bless" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OuQargE$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm
>

> "Angelucha52" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>A few weeks ago when I turn on my computer... the screen shows that
>> unsecurity wireless connection are on my pc computer.... that I should
>> check
>> it out.
>>
>> Going to Wireless network list, it appears as several computers are
>> linked
>> to my wireless network.... What should I do in order to prevent other
>> people
>> get into my computer and my wireless conection ? thanks.
>>
>> angela

Diamontina Cocktail

"Angelucha52" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>A few weeks ago when I turn on my computer... the screen shows that
> unsecurity wireless connection are on my pc computer.... that I should
> check
> it out.
>
> Going to Wireless network list, it appears as several computers are
> linked
> to my wireless network.... What should I do in order to prevent other
> people
> get into my computer and my wireless conection ? thanks.
>
> angela

Turn on wireless encryption on your router and computer.

Turn off DHCP in your router and manually assign the IP address at your
computer.

If you have it, turn ON MAC filtering at your router (may also be known as
Access List) and allow only those that you allow on your network to easily
use it.

While all the above are security things you can employ, please note that
wireless isn't really all that safe no matter what you do when using it.
Most people will be kept out with the above but a serious hacker wont and it
is very easy to find programs on Internet to allow you to get in anyway.

GTS

I think you're confusing the list of available wireless connections with
computers "linked to my wireless network." What you are seeing is a list of
Wireless Access points within range. You needn't be concerned if your
neighbors are running unsecured WAP's. You need only make sure that your
own is properly secured and that that is the one you connect to.
--

"Angelucha52" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>A few weeks ago when I turn on my computer... the screen shows that
> unsecurity wireless connection are on my pc computer.... that I should
> check
> it out.
>
> Going to Wireless network list, it appears as several computers are
> linked
> to my wireless network.... What should I do in order to prevent other
> people
> get into my computer and my wireless conection ? thanks.
>
> angela

joe6840 joe6840 is offline
Junior Member

Go into your router and check to see if SSID is broadcasting, if so, turn boadcasting off. This, together with the MAC filtering, should send your neighbors looking for a new "free meal". If not, engage your router's WPA security. Good luck & let us know if it worked.

ProjectD ProjectD is offline
Junior Member
Location: Sunshine State

Enable your security for the wireless settings. Although they are not suppose to piggy back on your network, you can't stop them unless you have security settings enabled.