Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Ghost DHCP server

Ghost DHCP server

=?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

Here goes: (in order)
1. Installed Server 2003
2. After a while installed ICS
3. Played with it for a while
4. Prestaged DNS Server
5. Promoted to first DC in the forest.
6. Went to netconnections just to find out that ICS dissapeared without a
trace.
It just was not there anymore. One adapter was still assigned 192.168.0.1.
The other was set to DHCP. ICS option was not available, as if I only had one
network adapter installed. The whole part about ICS was missing. I wondered,
then forgot about it.
7. Assigned 192.168.1.1, installed DHCP server. Authorized, activated, works
fine. Second computer gets address.
8. Ran 'netsh dhcp show server' and found out that there are two dhcp
servers running. One with "my" 192.1681 scope, the other with 192.168.0.
"ICS" scope.
GHOST ICS Dhcp server.
Any ideas on how to remove it? "Using minimum administrative effort" =)

Ask lowdes or Stan. They seem to be THEE Most Knowledgeable Technicians in
here. And well, since all of us MCNGP folk are unemployed and none of us
have the technical know-how to assist people with problems that we've run
into over the past 20 years or so in our daily job operations, then we are
unable to help at this time.

I'm just kidding...don't ask lowdes or Stan a damb thing, they're here to
screw anyone that shows up.

Seriously now,

I had this same problem and found out that my RRAS had screwed the whole ICS
up. I believe that RRAS and ICS cannot be running on the same computer at
the same time, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It just seemed like as soon
as I turned one of them off, then the other worked fine.

I'm not saying that's your problem, but it may be something to look at.

51

"Sergey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here goes: (in order)
> 1. Installed Server 2003
> 2. After a while installed ICS
> 3. Played with it for a while
> 4. Prestaged DNS Server
> 5. Promoted to first DC in the forest.
> 6. Went to netconnections just to find out that ICS dissapeared without a
> trace.
> It just was not there anymore. One adapter was still assigned 192.168.0.1.
> The other was set to DHCP. ICS option was not available, as if I only had
> one
> network adapter installed. The whole part about ICS was missing. I
> wondered,
> then forgot about it.
> 7. Assigned 192.168.1.1, installed DHCP server. Authorized, activated,
> works
> fine. Second computer gets address.
> 8. Ran 'netsh dhcp show server' and found out that there are two dhcp
> servers running. One with "my" 192.1681 scope, the other with 192.168.0.
> "ICS" scope.
> GHOST ICS Dhcp server.
> Any ideas on how to remove it? "Using minimum administrative effort" =)

=?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

This is not a problem. This is a case scenario. It's happening in my lab
environment. I've created a monster, and now I am feeding it discovery
broadcasts. =)
My conspiracy theory is that it had something to do with dcpromo.
ICS dissapeared right after server got promoted to DC. Weird thing is that I
can actually ping 192.168.0.1 even though neither of my NICs are configured
with that address. Netsh is also showing ghost dhcp server to be running on
192.168.0.1. Weird. Anyway, I am trying to trick ghost dhcp server to
actually assign a lease to Computer2 within ICS subnet. In addition ghost
server responds to discovery broadcasts, and sends offers. It's alive!

Thanks for your reply. Even though I am not running RRAS on this server, I
suspect that I should not be running ICS on any of my servers.

"BD" wrote:

> Ask lowdes or Stan. They seem to be THEE Most Knowledgeable Technicians in
> here. And well, since all of us MCNGP folk are unemployed and none of us
> have the technical know-how to assist people with problems that we've run
> into over the past 20 years or so in our daily job operations, then we are
> unable to help at this time.
>

> I'm just kidding...don't ask lowdes or Stan a damb thing, they're here to
> screw anyone that shows up.
>
> Seriously now,
>
> I had this same problem and found out that my RRAS had screwed the whole ICS
> up. I believe that RRAS and ICS cannot be running on the same computer at
> the same time, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It just seemed like as soon
> as I turned one of them off, then the other worked fine.
>
> I'm not saying that's your problem, but it may be something to look at.
>
> 51
>
> "Sergey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Here goes: (in order)
> > 1. Installed Server 2003
> > 2. After a while installed ICS
> > 3. Played with it for a while
> > 4. Prestaged DNS Server
> > 5. Promoted to first DC in the forest.
> > 6. Went to netconnections just to find out that ICS dissapeared without a
> > trace.
> > It just was not there anymore. One adapter was still assigned 192.168.0.1.
> > The other was set to DHCP. ICS option was not available, as if I only had
> > one
> > network adapter installed. The whole part about ICS was missing. I
> > wondered,
> > then forgot about it.
> > 7. Assigned 192.168.1.1, installed DHCP server. Authorized, activated,
> > works
> > fine. Second computer gets address.
> > 8. Ran 'netsh dhcp show server' and found out that there are two dhcp
> > servers running. One with "my" 192.1681 scope, the other with 192.168.0.
> > "ICS" scope.
> > GHOST ICS Dhcp server.
> > Any ideas on how to remove it? "Using minimum administrative effort" =)

Lnkwizard2

If I am following your conversation correctly you are trying to find
a the missing ICS (that is Internet connection Sharing, right). If so
you really don't need it on a domain controller, the DC itself
provides the internet connections. At least that is the way my network
runs.

I have a broadband wireless card providing the network connection,
and a seperate NIC connected to a switch to connect the
rest of the systems. The second NIC points to the wireless card
as the gateway and the other systems use the second NIC as their
gateway and DNS server.

> [...]
>> > trace.
>> > It just was not there anymore. One adapter was still assigned
>> > 192.168.0.1.
>> > The other was set to DHCP. ICS option was not available, as if I only
>> > had
>> > one
>> > network adapter installed. The whole part about ICS was missing. I
>> > wondered,
>> > then forgot about it.
>> > 7. Assigned 192.168.1.1, installed DHCP server. Authorized, activated,
>> > works
>> > fine. Second computer gets address.
>> > 8. Ran 'netsh dhcp show server' and found out that there are two dhcp
>> > servers running. One with "my" 192.1681 scope, the other with
>> > 192.168.0.
>> > "ICS" scope.
>> > GHOST ICS Dhcp server.
>> > Any ideas on how to remove it? "Using minimum administrative effort" =)

Neil

did you hear "Lnkwizard2" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:uW3HoXc#(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a broadband wireless card providing the network connection,
> and a seperate NIC connected to a switch to connect the
> rest of the systems. The second NIC points to the wireless card
> as the gateway and the other systems use the second NIC as their
> gateway and DNS server.

PUH-LEASE tell me there is a firewall/proxy/NAT somewhere in the mix

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- Maybe hard work never hurt anyone, but why take the risk?

Lnkwizard2

Small Business Server, with Exchange, SQL, and IAS built in and
running, plus each box on the network has its own firewall.

The DC provides the NAT function, Broadband is a class A address
and am using class C addresses on the local net.

news:Xns98695CD5DD563neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear "Lnkwizard2" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
> news:uW3HoXc#(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a broadband wireless card providing the network connection,
>> and a seperate NIC connected to a switch to connect the
>> rest of the systems. The second NIC points to the wireless card
>> as the gateway and the other systems use the second NIC as their
>> gateway and DNS server.
>>

> PUH-LEASE tell me there is a firewall/proxy/NAT somewhere in the mix
>
> --
> The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
> PotD 10/23/2006
>
> - Maybe hard work never hurt anyone, but why take the risk?

=?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5?=

Actually I am trying to find out where the dhcp server, which was installed
by ICS, or anything providing that function, is still hiding on the DC. It
would be nice to understand why ICS dissapeared and where it is now, but that
is my secondary objective. If anybody is interested I found a whole ICS
troubleshooting article here:
I didn't go through it yet, but I hope it explains what services provide
dhpc functions in ICS.

"Lnkwizard2" wrote:

> If I am following your conversation correctly you are trying to find
> a the missing ICS (that is Internet connection Sharing, right). If so
> you really don't need it on a domain controller, the DC itself
> provides the internet connections. At least that is the way my network
> runs.
>
> I have a broadband wireless card providing the network connection,
> and a seperate NIC connected to a switch to connect the
> rest of the systems. The second NIC points to the wireless card
> as the gateway and the other systems use the second NIC as their
> gateway and DNS server.
>
> "Sergey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This is not a problem. This is a case scenario. It's happening in my lab
> > environment. I've created a monster, and now I am feeding it discovery
> > broadcasts. =)
> > My conspiracy theory is that it had something to do with dcpromo.
> > ICS dissapeared right after server got promoted to DC. Weird thing is that
> > can actually ping 192.168.0.1 even though neither of my NICs are
> > configured
> > with that address. Netsh is also showing ghost dhcp server to be running
> > on
> > 192.168.0.1. Weird. Anyway, I am trying to trick ghost dhcp server to
> > actually assign a lease to Computer2 within ICS subnet. In addition ghost
> > server responds to discovery broadcasts, and sends offers. It's alive!
> >
> > Thanks for your reply. Even though I am not running RRAS on this server, I
> > suspect that I should not be running ICS on any of my servers.
> >

> > "BD" wrote:
> >
> >> Ask lowdes or Stan. They seem to be THEE Most Knowledgeable Technicians
> >> in
> >> here. And well, since all of us MCNGP folk are unemployed and none of us
> >> have the technical know-how to assist people with problems that we've run
> >> into over the past 20 years or so in our daily job operations, then we
> >> are
> >> unable to help at this time.
> >>

> >> I'm just kidding...don't ask lowdes or Stan a damb thing, they're here to
> >> screw anyone that shows up.
> >>
> >> Seriously now,
> >>
> >> I had this same problem and found out that my RRAS had screwed the whole
> >> ICS
> >> up. I believe that RRAS and ICS cannot be running on the same computer at
> >> the same time, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It just seemed like as
> >> soon
> >> as I turned one of them off, then the other worked fine.
> >>
> >> I'm not saying that's your problem, but it may be something to look at.
> >>
> >> 51
> >>
> >> "Sergey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Neil

did you hear "Lnkwizard2" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:ehu#Juc#(E-Mail Removed):

> and IAS built

actually RRAS/IAS has the NAT, but I feel a bit better now.

--

news:Xns9869830131C5Eneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6...
> did you hear "Lnkwizard2" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
> news:ehu#Juc#(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> and IAS built

> actually RRAS/IAS has the NAT, but I feel a bit better now.
>
> --

BTW, this is a personal network, not a production network.

Neil

did you hear "Lnkwizard2" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:OQjBnag#(E-Mail Removed):

> BTW, this is a personal network, not a production network.

WHEW!

*Neil stops worrying about Link's employment status*

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
PotD 10/23/2006

- "I'll pay off that customs official," said Tom dutifully.

Producting Ghost bootable CD with ghost image on BertieBigBollox@gmail.com Computer Support 0 09-19-2007 10:26 AM
Ghost - DHCP startup slow Ned Cisco 3 07-03-2006 08:27 AM
I used ghost to mirror my C: drive, worked fine, but now when I double-click C: in 'my computer' it opens Ghost. wtf??? jeff Computer Support 7 05-08-2005 07:23 PM
How to make a bootable Ghost CD with Norton Ghost 2003 van A+ Certification 2 10-14-2003 07:53 PM

Advertisments