Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can anyone please help - proxy address refuses to go!

Can anyone please help - proxy address refuses to go!

David

Can anyone PLEASE herlp!

I have used the penultimate Mozilla Firefox for many months now,
but suddenly found that a proxy address had appeared in in the
settings and this slows the connection down, but also cannot be
properly removed.

After I delete it and close the browser, on starting up again, the
proxy address is still there in the 'Manual Proxy Configuration'

I therefore downlaoded Mozilla 2 and much to my amazement, on
going to the
Tools
Network
Settings

it is still there!

I then delete it, click on the 'Direct Conenction to the internet' ,
click on 'OK', and refresh the browser and things are back to normal.
However, after I close the browser and restart it, the proxy address
is still there!
I cannoit find the file in which the address is present Ii intended
amending that file to stop it adding this address), so can anyone
advise please?

Thanks

David

Mumia W. (reading news)

On 10/26/2006 04:38 AM, David wrote:
> Can anyone PLEASE herlp!
>
> I have used the penultimate Mozilla Firefox for many months now,
> but suddenly found that a proxy address had appeared in in the
> settings and this slows the connection down, but also cannot be
> properly removed.
>
> After I delete it and close the browser, on starting up again, the
> proxy address is still there in the 'Manual Proxy Configuration'
>
> I therefore downlaoded Mozilla 2 and much to my amazement, on
> going to the
> Tools
> Network
> Settings
>
> it is still there!
>
> I then delete it, click on the 'Direct Conenction to the internet' ,
> click on 'OK', and refresh the browser and things are back to normal.
> However, after I close the browser and restart it, the proxy address
> is still there!
> I cannoit find the file in which the address is present Ii intended
> amending that file to stop it adding this address), so can anyone
> advise please?
>
> Thanks
>
> David

What is the proxy address (and port number[s])?

Simon Kellett

David <isp.user> writes:

> I then delete it, click on the 'Direct Conenction to the internet' ,
> click on 'OK', and refresh the browser and things are back to normal.
> However, after I close the browser and restart it, the proxy address
> is still there!
> I cannoit find the file in which the address is present Ii intended
> amending that file to stop it adding this address), so can anyone
> advise please?

user.js ?

--
Simon Kellett, Darmstadt, Germany | http://www.zoxed.eu
Gentoo Linux, Fvwm, Firefox | Xemacs, vm, Gnus

Chuck

David wrote:
> Can anyone PLEASE herlp!
>
> I have used the penultimate Mozilla Firefox for many months now,
> but suddenly found that a proxy address had appeared in in the
> settings and this slows the connection down, but also cannot be
> properly removed.
>
> After I delete it and close the browser, on starting up again, the
> proxy address is still there in the 'Manual Proxy Configuration'
>
> I therefore downlaoded Mozilla 2 and much to my amazement, on
> going to the
> Tools
> Network
> Settings
>
> it is still there!
>
> I then delete it, click on the 'Direct Conenction to the internet' ,
> click on 'OK', and refresh the browser and things are back to normal.
> However, after I close the browser and restart it, the proxy address
> is still there!
> I cannoit find the file in which the address is present Ii intended
> amending that file to stop it adding this address), so can anyone
> advise please?
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Sounds like some sort of browser hijack. Someone wants to know where you
are going and maybe even steal your passwords.

Like Mumia said. What's the hostname (or IP address) and port #.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Leonidas Jones

David wrote:
> Can anyone PLEASE herlp!
>
> I have used the penultimate Mozilla Firefox for many months now,
> but suddenly found that a proxy address had appeared in in the
> settings and this slows the connection down, but also cannot be
> properly removed.
>
> After I delete it and close the browser, on starting up again, the
> proxy address is still there in the 'Manual Proxy Configuration'
>
> I therefore downlaoded Mozilla 2 and much to my amazement, on
> going to the
> Tools
> Network
> Settings
>
> it is still there!
>
> I then delete it, click on the 'Direct Conenction to the internet' ,
> click on 'OK', and refresh the browser and things are back to normal.
> However, after I close the browser and restart it, the proxy address
> is still there!
> I cannoit find the file in which the address is present Ii intended
> amending that file to stop it adding this address), so can anyone
> advise please?
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Are you using anyh sort of web accellerator on a dial up connection?

Lee