Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Unable to dl mp3's from program streaming sites in FF 1.5 or 2.0

Unable to dl mp3's from program streaming sites in FF 1.5 or 2.0

Dan

Lately I have not been able to dl mp3's from sites offering downloads of
programming in FF. This was the case with my previous version (1.5, I
think, whatever came just before the new release) as well as with the
new 2.0. Examples of sites are
http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/bydate.html,
http://www.transom.org/shows/archives.html, and
http://www.democracynow.org/index.pl. I can dl the mp3's from all of
these sites in IE 7. Has IE, somehow "stolen" this ability? When I go
to one of the dl links, FF just tries indefinitely to connect, but
cannot. Virus & spyware scans are clean. Any help appreciated

TIA

Dan

Leonidas Jones

Dan wrote:
> Lately I have not been able to dl mp3's from sites offering downloads of
> programming in FF. This was the case with my previous version (1.5, I
> think, whatever came just before the new release) as well as with the
> new 2.0. Examples of sites are
> http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/bydate.html,
> http://www.transom.org/shows/archives.html, and
> http://www.democracynow.org/index.pl. I can dl the mp3's from all of
> these sites in IE 7. Has IE, somehow "stolen" this ability? When I go
> to one of the dl links, FF just tries indefinitely to connect, but
> cannot. Virus & spyware scans are clean. Any help appreciated
>
> TIA
>
> Dan

Try right clickimg on the link, and selecting Save Link As. That should
start a download of the file. Report back with how that wols.

Lee

Dan

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>> Lately I have not been able to dl mp3's from sites offering downloads
>> of programming in FF. This was the case with my previous version
>> (1.5, I think, whatever came just before the new release) as well as
>> with the new 2.0. Examples of sites are
>> http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/bydate.html,
>> http://www.transom.org/shows/archives.html, and
>> http://www.democracynow.org/index.pl. I can dl the mp3's from all of
>> these sites in IE 7. Has IE, somehow "stolen" this ability? When I
>> go to one of the dl links, FF just tries indefinitely to connect, but
>> cannot. Virus & spyware scans are clean. Any help appreciated
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Dan

> Try right clickimg on the link, and selecting Save Link As. That should
> start a download of the file. Report back with how that wols.
>
> Lee

Lee-Thanks for the reply. Yup, that works! Thank you. But why would
this have changed? I've been listening to these programs for years in
FF, all I ever hd to do up until the last few days was click on the link.

Dan

Leonidas Jones

Dan wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> Dan wrote:
>>> Lately I have not been able to dl mp3's from sites offering downloads
>>> of programming in FF. This was the case with my previous version
>>> (1.5, I think, whatever came just before the new release) as well as
>>> with the new 2.0. Examples of sites are
>>> http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/bydate.html,
>>> http://www.transom.org/shows/archives.html, and
>>> http://www.democracynow.org/index.pl. I can dl the mp3's from all of
>>> these sites in IE 7. Has IE, somehow "stolen" this ability? When I
>>> go to one of the dl links, FF just tries indefinitely to connect, but
>>> cannot. Virus & spyware scans are clean. Any help appreciated
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Dan

>> Try right clickimg on the link, and selecting Save Link As. That
>> should start a download of the file. Report back with how that wols.
>>
>> Lee

> Lee-Thanks for the reply. Yup, that works! Thank you. But why would
> this have changed? I've been listening to these programs for years in
> FF, all I ever hd to do up until the last few days was click on the link.
>
> Dan

First, I am glad it works for you. Second, Look in FF 2.0:

Tools>>Options>>Content

Under File Types, click the Manage button:

If you find an entry for MP3's, remove it.

Try again. Nte the path for FF 1.5.0.7 is different, though the dialog
is the same.

Lee

Dan

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> First, I am glad it works for you. Second, Look in FF 2.0:
>
> Tools>>Options>>Content
>
> Under File Types, click the Manage button:
>
> If you find an entry for MP3's, remove it.
>
> Try again. Nte the path for FF 1.5.0.7 is different, though the dialog
> is the same.
>
> Lee

The REMOVE option was not available (dimmed), so I went into "Change
Action" & specified "save to disk". That did it! I recently loaded
Video Lan VLC, & despite the fact mp3's are set to opne with winamp (and
they do) VLC was listed as the program in FF. I think this is what
brought about the change. Anyway, all is well now!

Thanks Lee!

Dan

Leonidas Jones

Dan wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>
>> First, I am glad it works for you. Second, Look in FF 2.0:
>>
>> Tools>>Options>>Content
>>
>> Under File Types, click the Manage button:
>>
>> If you find an entry for MP3's, remove it.
>>
>> Try again. Nte the path for FF 1.5.0.7 is different, though the
>> dialog is the same.
>>
>> Lee

> The REMOVE option was not available (dimmed), so I went into "Change
> Action" & specified "save to disk". That did it! I recently loaded
> Video Lan VLC, & despite the fact mp3's are set to opne with winamp (and
> they do) VLC was listed as the program in FF. I think this is what
> brought about the change. Anyway, all is well now!
>
> Thanks Lee!
>
> Dan

Great news!!

Lee