Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Close button for each tab??

Close button for each tab??

Leonidas Jones

FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:58:55 -0400, FoxWolfie Galen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:19:13 GMT, "Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
>>> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
>>> I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
>>>
>>> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

>> I also don't like it. I very much prefer just the one close button on the
>> right side of the tab bar. I haven't had time to look to see if it can be
>> set back to the old way yet, but I'm sure a way will be found soon.
>>
>> Everything else in 2.0 seems to be great so far.

> I found my own answer to the tab close problem. To remove the close tab
> buttons from every tab, and have a single close tab button at the far right
> like 1.5 did, do the following:
>
> Type about:config into the location bar.
> Search for the browser.tabs.closeButtons line.
> Set the integer value to 3.
>
> It seems that almost everything is still able to be configured to my needs.
> They just removed more choices from the options menu so people need to look
> harder to make certain changes.

This issue goes back to Netscape days, when the Edit>>Preferences dialog
was deemed too bloated and confusing for users.

I dunno, never confused me.

Still, the effort by FF devs have always been to keep preferences
(options) lean and clean is a laudable one. If everyones needed pref was
accessible from options, it would be a mess.

That being said, I agree, this should be configurable in options. The
devs will say it should be via extension, and it will be. Still......

lee

FoxWolfie Galen

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 00:26:34 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > It seems that almost everything is still able to be configured to my
> > needs. They just removed more choices from the options menu so people
> > need to look harder to make certain changes.

> This issue goes back to Netscape days, when the Edit>>Preferences dialog
> was deemed too bloated and confusing for users.
>
> I dunno, never confused me.
>
> Still, the effort by FF devs have always been to keep preferences
> (options) lean and clean is a laudable one. If everyones needed pref was
> accessible from options, it would be a mess.
>
> That being said, I agree, this should be configurable in options. The
> devs will say it should be via extension, and it will be. Still......

After looking through all the google links related to the tab changes in
Firefox 2.0, it appears to be a very personal preference and controversial
change. It's hard to be sure, but it appears that about 75 percent seem to
want it the way it was in 1.5.x. This could be just because those are the
ones who feel the need to say something though. In any case, when something
is this important to so many people, it should be a configuration option.

Comparing both versions of Firefox, I'm noticing a fair amount of options
that were just plain removed, but they are still changeable using
about:config. I don't think it's a good direction for them to be going.
Ideally, there would be a checkbox for advanced options. If that is
checked, almost everything within reason could be available to configure.
Otherwise, the user gets a simple uncluttered configuration screen - which
could be the default. That would benefit almost everyone.

I've never been confused by more options, though some entry values in
about:config aren't so easy to guess. Google easily answers most questions,
but users shouldn't need to do that. I'm one of those people who likes to
tweak Firefox myself, and avoid the need for many extensions. The browser
tends to load faster and remain more stable that way.

Leonidas Jones

FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 00:26:34 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> It seems that almost everything is still able to be configured to my
>>> needs. They just removed more choices from the options menu so people
>>> need to look harder to make certain changes.

>> This issue goes back to Netscape days, when the Edit>>Preferences dialog
>> was deemed too bloated and confusing for users.
>>
>> I dunno, never confused me.
>>
>> Still, the effort by FF devs have always been to keep preferences
>> (options) lean and clean is a laudable one. If everyones needed pref was
>> accessible from options, it would be a mess.
>>
>> That being said, I agree, this should be configurable in options. The
>> devs will say it should be via extension, and it will be. Still......

> After looking through all the google links related to the tab changes in
> Firefox 2.0, it appears to be a very personal preference and controversial
> change. It's hard to be sure, but it appears that about 75 percent seem to
> want it the way it was in 1.5.x. This could be just because those are the
> ones who feel the need to say something though. In any case, when something
> is this important to so many people, it should be a configuration option.
>
> Comparing both versions of Firefox, I'm noticing a fair amount of options
> that were just plain removed, but they are still changeable using
> about:config. I don't think it's a good direction for them to be going.
> Ideally, there would be a checkbox for advanced options. If that is
> checked, almost everything within reason could be available to configure.
> Otherwise, the user gets a simple uncluttered configuration screen - which
> could be the default. That would benefit almost everyone.
>
> I've never been confused by more options, though some entry values in
> about:config aren't so easy to guess. Google easily answers most questions,
> but users shouldn't need to do that. I'm one of those people who likes to
> tweak Firefox myself, and avoid the need for many extensions. The browser
> tends to load faster and remain more stable that way.

Well, I can report from doing Mozilla support, that one of the most
frequently asked questions was how to put close boxes in tabs. There
have been several extensions written to add this in.

So the devs add it in. They tried to respond to user requests. Now thisT

Again, I think the main problem is not putting in a UI to change it.
T'would have been nice. But I am not a developer, only a lowly support
person.

At the least, it is easily changed from about:config. Lets see what
happens in future releases.

Lee

Joseph S. Powell, III

Another thing I don't like about 2.0 is that (unless I've missed something),
it will only display one row of tabs at a time, instead of the max of 3 rows
like in the ff 1.5x - this bugs me, as I usually have around 2 rows of tabs
up most of the time, and now the beginning tabs remain out of sight - I hate
having to go back to the little drop-down feature to see them - is there any
way to get FF 2.0 to display two or three rows of tabs?

> I have the same options as you. I suspect the others cited are inserted
> by an extension. Tab Mix Plus should be updated by the weekend, and will
> solve all this. If you want there is an RC of TNP available:
>
> http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3853
>
> Lee

Leonidas Jones

Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
> Another thing I don't like about 2.0 is that (unless I've missed something),
> it will only display one row of tabs at a time, instead of the max of 3 rows
> like in the ff 1.5x - this bugs me, as I usually have around 2 rows of tabs
> up most of the time, and now the beginning tabs remain out of sight - I hate
> having to go back to the little drop-down feature to see them - is there any
> way to get FF 2.0 to display two or three rows of tabs?
>
>> I have the same options as you. I suspect the others cited are inserted
>> by an extension. Tab Mix Plus should be updated by the weekend, and will
>> solve all this. If you want there is an RC of TNP available:
>>
>> http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3853
>>
>> Lee

Either wait for the Tab Mix Plus extension to be updated, hopefully
soon, or try the RC version:

http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3515

Lee