Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Close button for each tab??

Close button for each tab??

Neck & Red

So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button in
the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now I have
to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.

Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

Jason L ©

"Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l0N%g.19024$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now I
> have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
>
> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

OPTIONS>TABBED BROWSING>DISPLAY OPTIONS>"Show tab closure buttons" <NOWHERE>

This will remove the close buttons. You can close tabs by clicking your
middle mouse button over them.
Hope this helps!

FoxWolfie Galen

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:19:13 GMT, "Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
> I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
>
> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

I also don't like it. I very much prefer just the one close button on the
right side of the tab bar. I haven't had time to look to see if it can be
set back to the old way yet, but I'm sure a way will be found soon.

Everything else in 2.0 seems to be great so far.
--
FoxWolfie

Jim S

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:46:32 -0400, Jason L © wrote:

> "Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:l0N%g.19024$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
>> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
>> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now I
>> have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
>>
>> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?
>>

> OPTIONS>TABBED BROWSING>DISPLAY OPTIONS>"Show tab closure buttons" <NOWHERE>
>
> This will remove the close buttons. You can close tabs by clicking your
> middle mouse button over them.
> Hope this helps!

Use tabbrowser preferences extension 1.0.3 (new today) to re-instate it.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Ed Mullen

FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:19:13 GMT, "Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
>> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
>> I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
>>
>> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

> I also don't like it. I very much prefer just the one close button on the
> right side of the tab bar. I haven't had time to look to see if it can be
> set back to the old way yet, but I'm sure a way will be found soon.
>
> Everything else in 2.0 seems to be great so far.

My own preference is provided by Tabbrowser Extensions:

middle-click on a tab to close it
double-click on a tab to close it
double-click on the tab bar to open a new tab

Don't have find a button at all. ymmv

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Neck & Red

"Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:njfpu26e22t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:46:32 -0400, Jason L © wrote:
>
>> "Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:l0N%g.19024$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
>>> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
>>> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
>>> have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
>>>
>>> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?
>>>

>> OPTIONS>TABBED BROWSING>DISPLAY OPTIONS>"Show tab closure buttons"
>> <NOWHERE>
>>
>> This will remove the close buttons. You can close tabs by clicking your
>> middle mouse button over them.
>> Hope this helps!

> Use tabbrowser preferences extension 1.0.3 (new today) to re-instate it.

Thanks dudes, I'm liking this much better now

FoxWolfie Galen

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:46:32 -0400, "Jason L ©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:l0N%g.19024$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> > So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
> > in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
> > I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
> >
> > Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

> OPTIONS>TABBED BROWSING>DISPLAY OPTIONS>"Show tab closure buttons" <NOWHERE>
>
> This will remove the close buttons. You can close tabs by clicking your
> middle mouse button over them.
> Hope this helps!

Not here. Those options do not exist in Firefox 2.0, even in safe mode.

When I go to "options" and select "tabs", I see only the following:

New pages should be opened in:
( ) a new window
(*) a new tab

[x] Warn me when closing multiple tabs
[x] Warn me when opening multiple tabs might slow down Firefox
[x] Always show the tab bar
[ ] When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately

That is it. There are no other tab options in Firefox 2.0. This is on a
Win98se system, if that makes any difference. Having to get my mouse onto
those tiny close buttons to close multiple tabs is really annoying as I
don't have very good dexterity with a mouse. I also can't use a middle
button to close them, because that is what I use for magnifying an area of
my screen, which I need a lot more. Many things on line are way too small
for me to see without magnification.

So, how do I get the missing tab options - without an extension - so it
will act as it did in Firefox 1.5.x?

There are many other little options missing, like load images only if they
are on the same server, and the ability to dump that green go button to the
right of the location bar. I like to move my location bar and navigation
buttons to the menu bar to save as much vertical space as possible. That
green go button take up valuable horizontal space and offers nothing that
my enter key doesn't already do, so I want to dump it. Firefox used to be
very configurable, even without extensions. Now it is blocking me from
customizing it the way I want.
--
FoxWolfie

Leonidas Jones

FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:46:32 -0400, "Jason L ©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:l0N%g.19024$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
>>> So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
>>> in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
>>> I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
>>>
>>> Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

>> OPTIONS>TABBED BROWSING>DISPLAY OPTIONS>"Show tab closure buttons" <NOWHERE>
>>
>> This will remove the close buttons. You can close tabs by clicking your
>> middle mouse button over them.
>> Hope this helps!

> Not here. Those options do not exist in Firefox 2.0, even in safe mode.
>
> When I go to "options" and select "tabs", I see only the following:
>

> New pages should be opened in:
> ( ) a new window
> (*) a new tab
>
> [x] Warn me when closing multiple tabs
> [x] Warn me when opening multiple tabs might slow down Firefox
> [x] Always show the tab bar
> [ ] When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately
>

> That is it. There are no other tab options in Firefox 2.0. This is on a
> Win98se system, if that makes any difference. Having to get my mouse onto
> those tiny close buttons to close multiple tabs is really annoying as I
> don't have very good dexterity with a mouse. I also can't use a middle
> button to close them, because that is what I use for magnifying an area of
> my screen, which I need a lot more. Many things on line are way too small
> for me to see without magnification.
>
> So, how do I get the missing tab options - without an extension - so it
> will act as it did in Firefox 1.5.x?
>
> There are many other little options missing, like load images only if they
> are on the same server, and the ability to dump that green go button to the
> right of the location bar. I like to move my location bar and navigation
> buttons to the menu bar to save as much vertical space as possible. That
> green go button take up valuable horizontal space and offers nothing that
> my enter key doesn't already do, so I want to dump it. Firefox used to be
> very configurable, even without extensions. Now it is blocking me from
> customizing it the way I want.

I have the same options as you. I suspect the others cited are inserted
by an extension. Tab Mix Plus should be updated by the weekend, and will
solve all this. If you want there is an RC of TNP available:

http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3853

Lee

FoxWolfie Galen

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:58:55 -0400, FoxWolfie Galen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:19:13 GMT, "Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > So far I hate this feature. I miss the old way...having one close button
> > in the same place so I could just quickly close tabs as I read them. Now
> > I have to look for that close button for each tab I want to close.
> >
> > Anybody else not like this new 'feature'? Can it be turned off possibly?

> I also don't like it. I very much prefer just the one close button on the
> right side of the tab bar. I haven't had time to look to see if it can be
> set back to the old way yet, but I'm sure a way will be found soon.
>
> Everything else in 2.0 seems to be great so far.

I found my own answer to the tab close problem. To remove the close tab
buttons from every tab, and have a single close tab button at the far right
like 1.5 did, do the following:

Type about:config into the location bar.
Search for the browser.tabs.closeButtons line.
Set the integer value to 3.

It seems that almost everything is still able to be configured to my needs.
They just removed more choices from the options menu so people need to look
harder to make certain changes.

FoxWolfie Galen

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:41:06 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have the same options as you. I suspect the others cited are inserted
> by an extension. Tab Mix Plus should be updated by the weekend, and will
> solve all this. If you want there is an RC of TNP available:
>
> http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3853

Thanks. After google searching for a while, I managed to find about:config
options for almost everything I wanted. These links helped with not only
the tabs, but a few other things:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.tabClipWidth