Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > A question about the Portable Edition of Firefox and Thunderbird

Reply
Thread Tools

A question about the Portable Edition of Firefox and Thunderbird

 
 
Juan I. Cahis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2006
Dear friends:

I have a question about the Portable Edition of Firefox and
Thunderbird:

I use the Portable Edition of both products in an USB Pen Drive, and
from time to time, both products ask me to accept the automatic
upgrade to the newest version of them.

Is the upgrade mechanism for the Portable Edition the same of the
Standard Edition? Or, if I accept the automatic upgrade, my Portable
software will become non-portable, that is, "Standard"?


Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2006
*Juan I. Cahis* wrote on 24.10.06 01:43:

> Is the upgrade mechanism for the Portable Edition the same of the
> Standard Edition?


Yep, it is.

> Or, if I accept the automatic upgrade, my Portable
> software will become non-portable, that is, "Standard"?


No, it won't. I've updated my "portables" recently and they
still work like they're supposed to.
cu, Miller
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2006
Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> I have a question about the Portable Edition of Firefox and
> Thunderbird:
>
> I use the Portable Edition of both products in an USB Pen Drive, and
> from time to time, both products ask me to accept the automatic
> upgrade to the newest version of them.
>
> Is the upgrade mechanism for the Portable Edition the same of the
> Standard Edition? Or, if I accept the automatic upgrade, my Portable
> software will become non-portable, that is, "Standard"?
>
>
> Thanks
> Juan I. Cahis
> Santiago de Chile (South America)
> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!


Firefox/Thunderbird Portable are just rebranded editions of the exact
programs issued by Mozilla.com. John has preset preferences in the
profile to minimize writes to the disk, thus extending its life.

Upgrading to newer versions has no effect on the profile. As long as
you continue to open the program using the portable firefox starter, you
should have no problems.

Lee
 
Reply With Quote
 
Juan I. Cahis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2006
Thanks a lot, friends.

Your answer applies to the "Standard Portable Edition", or the "U3P
Portable Edition", or both?

Which of the above do you recommend to use mostly?

Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Juan I. Cahis wrote:
>> Dear friends:
>>
>> I have a question about the Portable Edition of Firefox and
>> Thunderbird:
>>
>> I use the Portable Edition of both products in an USB Pen Drive, and
>> from time to time, both products ask me to accept the automatic
>> upgrade to the newest version of them.
>>
>> Is the upgrade mechanism for the Portable Edition the same of the
>> Standard Edition? Or, if I accept the automatic upgrade, my Portable
>> software will become non-portable, that is, "Standard"?
>>
>>
>> Thanks
>> Juan I. Cahis
>> Santiago de Chile (South America)
>> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

>
>Firefox/Thunderbird Portable are just rebranded editions of the exact
>programs issued by Mozilla.com. John has preset preferences in the
>profile to minimize writes to the disk, thus extending its life.
>
>Upgrading to newer versions has no effect on the profile. As long as
>you continue to open the program using the portable firefox starter, you
>should have no problems.
>
>Lee

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Leonidas Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2006
Juan I. Cahis wrote:
> Thanks a lot, friends.
>
> Your answer applies to the "Standard Portable Edition", or the "U3P
> Portable Edition", or both?
>
> Which of the above do you recommend to use mostly?
>
> Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Juan I. Cahis wrote:
>>> Dear friends:
>>>
>>> I have a question about the Portable Edition of Firefox and
>>> Thunderbird:
>>>
>>> I use the Portable Edition of both products in an USB Pen Drive, and
>>> from time to time, both products ask me to accept the automatic
>>> upgrade to the newest version of them.
>>>
>>> Is the upgrade mechanism for the Portable Edition the same of the
>>> Standard Edition? Or, if I accept the automatic upgrade, my Portable
>>> software will become non-portable, that is, "Standard"?
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Juan I. Cahis
>>> Santiago de Chile (South America)
>>> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

>> Firefox/Thunderbird Portable are just rebranded editions of the exact
>> programs issued by Mozilla.com. John has preset preferences in the
>> profile to minimize writes to the disk, thus extending its life.
>>
>> Upgrading to newer versions has no effect on the profile. As long as
>> you continue to open the program using the portable firefox starter, you
>> should have no problems.
>>
>> Lee

> Thanks
> Juan I. Cahis
> Santiago de Chile (South America)
> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!


O'm using Thunderbird Portable from portableapps.com as we correspond!

Lee
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
installed Portable Thunderbird gk Java 3 05-18-2010 10:35 AM
Re: Links won't open in Portable Thunderbird, fix? Leonidas Jones Firefox 0 01-03-2010 05:11 AM
Portable Python - free portable development environment ! perica.zivkovic@gmail.com Python 7 01-13-2007 11:19 AM
portable (VHDL) vs. non-portable (altera LPM) approaches to signed computations Eli Bendersky VHDL 1 03-01-2006 02:43 PM
Portable Firefox question cygnian@despammed.com Computer Support 0 09-10-2005 06:58 PM



Advertisments