Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Disable Router

Disable Router

B.W.

Newbee question. I have read one should disconnect from the Internet when
not using it. Is this only for people who leave their computers on
permanently. Surely if you switch off your PC then someone from outside
can't get into your system via your phone line router connection?

TIA

B.W.

Malke

B.W. wrote:

> Newbee question. I have read one should disconnect from the Internet
> when
> not using it. Is this only for people who leave their computers on
> permanently. Surely if you switch off your PC then someone from
> outside can't get into your system via your phone line router
> connection?

You have good common sense. If the computer is off, it is off! If you
aren't protected with a firewall and antivirus and practicing "Safe
Hex", then you will be infected very quickly when you are online. I'm
not sure what a "phone line router" is, but you don't need to turn off
a regular router used with cable or dsl and you should turn off your
cable/dsl modem, either.

Safe Hex:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971 - So How Did I Get
Infected Anyway?
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron.../05/82584.aspx - MVP
Harry Waldron - The Family PC - How to stay safe on the Internet
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm - Eric Howes on
Rogue Antispyware Programs

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

B.W.

Thanks Malke, but at then end you say I should or shouldn't turn off my adsl
modem? Not sure what you mean!

TIA

B.W.

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> B.W. wrote:
>
>> Newbee question. I have read one should disconnect from the Internet
>> when
>> not using it. Is this only for people who leave their computers on
>> permanently. Surely if you switch off your PC then someone from
>> outside can't get into your system via your phone line router
>> connection?

> You have good common sense. If the computer is off, it is off! If you
> aren't protected with a firewall and antivirus and practicing "Safe
> Hex", then you will be infected very quickly when you are online. I'm
> not sure what a "phone line router" is, but you don't need to turn off
> a regular router used with cable or dsl and you should turn off your
> cable/dsl modem, either.
>
> Safe Hex:
>
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971 - So How Did I Get
> Infected Anyway?
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
> http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron.../05/82584.aspx - MVP
> Harry Waldron - The Family PC - How to stay safe on the Internet
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm - Eric Howes on
> Rogue Antispyware Programs
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

B.W. wrote:

> Thanks Malke, but at then end you say I should or shouldn't turn off
> my adsl modem? Not sure what you mean!

Typo! Sorry about that - as you cleverly intuited, I *meant* to say you
should *not* turn off your DSL modem.

Cheers,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

There is No big theory behind it.

If you leave them On they just sit idle, and waste electricity In places
like NYC, at the end of the month it can be reflected in the $$$ amount).
However, the Internet connection is kept alive, and available immediately
when you switch the computer On.

If you turn the DSL Modem, and Router Off, you save on the electrical bill,
but you have the wait a little when you switch the system On in the sequence
Modem, Router, Computer.

Therefore, there is No good-bad, right-wrong, what ever you personally
prefer would be OK.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"B.W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Newbee question. I have read one should disconnect from the Internet when
> not using it. Is this only for people who leave their computers on
> permanently. Surely if you switch off your PC then someone from outside
> can't get into your system via your phone line router connection?
>
> TIA
>
> B.W.

B.W.

Thanks Jack, it was more in the line of security I was concerned about as to
whether these things should be on or not.

B.W.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> There is No big theory behind it.
>
> If you leave them On they just sit idle, and waste electricity In places
> like NYC, at the end of the month it can be reflected in the $$$ amount).
> However, the Internet connection is kept alive, and available immediately
> when you switch the computer On.
>
> If you turn the DSL Modem, and Router Off, you save on the electrical
> bill, but you have the wait a little when you switch the system On in the
> sequence Modem, Router, Computer.
>
> Therefore, there is No good-bad, right-wrong, what ever you personally
> prefer would be OK.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "B.W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Newbee question. I have read one should disconnect from the Internet
>> when not using it. Is this only for people who leave their computers on
>> permanently. Surely if you switch off your PC then someone from outside
>> can't get into your system via your phone line router connection?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> B.W.

Homer Jay

Just out of interest, how much $$$ would (theoretically) be saved by
powering off modem and router when not in use? Do they use a large amount of
power, or is it a small amount that over the course of a year is not really
all that much.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> There is No big theory behind it.
>
> If you leave them On they just sit idle, and waste electricity In places
> like NYC, at the end of the month it can be reflected in the $$$ amount).
> However, the Internet connection is kept alive, and available immediately
> when you switch the computer On.
>
> If you turn the DSL Modem, and Router Off, you save on the electrical
> bill, but you have the wait a little when you switch the system On in the
> sequence Modem, Router, Computer.
>
> Therefore, there is No good-bad, right-wrong, what ever you personally
> prefer would be OK.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "B.W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Newbee question. I have read one should disconnect from the Internet
>> when not using it. Is this only for people who leave their computers on
>> permanently. Surely if you switch off your PC then someone from outside
>> can't get into your system via your phone line router connection?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> B.W.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

No, it is not as much.

It probably takes about 40W, assuming that I end up that in average it is
Off for 10 hours every 24 hours, then keeping the units Off, saves 400WH for
a day (0.4KWH) or 15KWH per month. Given the total cost of electricity, it
amounts in my "neck in the woods" to saving of $3 to $4 a month.

$4 is negligible in the scope of my expenses (E.g. I pay $420 a month for
Car Parking). However, I gain nothing from keeping the devices On.

When you try to summarize the reasons that people gives for keeping their
system always On, it looks like 90% of the reasons amount to a Social need.
I.e it is perceived “Macho” by many to be able to state: “I keep my system
On 24/7”. LOL, I am too old for Macho .

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:%23Fa$(E-Mail Removed)...