Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > no wireless networks were found in range error

no wireless networks were found in range error

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

i continue to receive this error. i can connect wirelessly with third party
connection management software such as boingo and config utility that came
with my adapter card, but whenever i try to connect with windows utility i
get the same error. even in the system tray it says wireless networks
detected in range and when i click on it to see them, i get the same message,
no wireless networks were found in range.
i've made sure that wireless zero configuration is running and have stopped
and restarted it but still nothing.....any help is greatly appreciated.

paul

Mike Bernstein

To be able to use the XP WZC software, you need to make sure that no bits of
the other software (Boingo or adapter) are loading. Any such remnants will
prevent WZC from running properly. Check your startup by running 'msconfig',
disable any bits of the other programs that you find and re-boot.

Mike Bernstein

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i continue to receive this error. i can connect wirelessly with third
>party
> connection management software such as boingo and config utility that came
> with my adapter card, but whenever i try to connect with windows utility i
> get the same error. even in the system tray it says wireless networks
> detected in range and when i click on it to see them, i get the same
> message,
> no wireless networks were found in range.
> i've made sure that wireless zero configuration is running and have
> stopped
> and restarted it but still nothing.....any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> paul

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
In addition to the above check the settings of WZC and make sure that it is
not set with security or other settings that do not match your Wireless
Client.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> To be able to use the XP WZC software, you need to make sure that no bits
> of the other software (Boingo or adapter) are loading. Any such remnants
> will prevent WZC from running properly. Check your startup by running
> 'msconfig', disable any bits of the other programs that you find and
> re-boot.
>
> Mike Bernstein

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>i continue to receive this error. i can connect wirelessly with third
>>party
>> connection management software such as boingo and config utility that
>> came
>> with my adapter card, but whenever i try to connect with windows utility
>> get the same error. even in the system tray it says wireless networks
>> detected in range and when i click on it to see them, i get the same
>> message,
>> no wireless networks were found in range.
>> i've made sure that wireless zero configuration is running and have
>> stopped
>> and restarted it but still nothing.....any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> paul

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

thanks for your reply.....however, im not sure what to look for in msconfig
or even what to do if i did find it. could you possibly elaborate on it??

thxxx

paul

"Mike Bernstein" wrote:

> To be able to use the XP WZC software, you need to make sure that no bits of
> the other software (Boingo or adapter) are loading. Any such remnants will
> prevent WZC from running properly. Check your startup by running 'msconfig',
> disable any bits of the other programs that you find and re-boot.
>
> Mike Bernstein

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >i continue to receive this error. i can connect wirelessly with third
> >party
> > connection management software such as boingo and config utility that came
> > with my adapter card, but whenever i try to connect with windows utility i
> > get the same error. even in the system tray it says wireless networks
> > detected in range and when i click on it to see them, i get the same
> > message,
> > no wireless networks were found in range.
> > i've made sure that wireless zero configuration is running and have
> > stopped
> > and restarted it but still nothing.....any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > paul

Mike Bernstein

When you load 'msconfig' it can look rather confusing. Select the final tab,
the one named 'startup'. This lists every program that is loaded at startup,
either from your startup folder or from the registry. It lists the name of
the file and also under 'Command' gives the executable file and its
location. Form those 2 aspects, you may be able to spot something that
relates to your other wireless programs. If you do spot such items, untick
the boxes on the left of the items in the list, click OK and re-boot. If you
ever want to undo what you did, just reload 'msconfig', tick the boxes that
you previously unticked and re-boot.

Mike Bernstein

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> thanks for your reply.....however, im not sure what to look for in
> msconfig
> or even what to do if i did find it. could you possibly elaborate on it??
>
> thxxx
>

> paul
>
> "Mike Bernstein" wrote:
>
>> To be able to use the XP WZC software, you need to make sure that no bits
>> of
>> the other software (Boingo or adapter) are loading. Any such remnants
>> will
>> prevent WZC from running properly. Check your startup by running
>> 'msconfig',
>> disable any bits of the other programs that you find and re-boot.
>>
>> Mike Bernstein
>>
>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >i continue to receive this error. i can connect wirelessly with third
>> >party
>> > connection management software such as boingo and config utility that
>> > came
>> > with my adapter card, but whenever i try to connect with windows
>> > utility i
>> > get the same error. even in the system tray it says wireless networks
>> > detected in range and when i click on it to see them, i get the same
>> > message,
>> > no wireless networks were found in range.
>> > i've made sure that wireless zero configuration is running and have
>> > stopped
>> > and restarted it but still nothing.....any help is greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > paul

=?Utf-8?B?d2FuZ3hpYW9odQ==?=

I have the same problem. However, I do not have any third party in the
startup list.

The problem occurs since two days ago. Another Windows XP on my computer has
wireless working. The difference is that one do not have a rencent update
from update.microsoft.com

"Mike Bernstein" wrote:

> To be able to use the XP WZC software, you need to make sure that no bits of
> the other software (Boingo or adapter) are loading. Any such remnants will
> prevent WZC from running properly. Check your startup by running 'msconfig',
> disable any bits of the other programs that you find and re-boot.
>
> Mike Bernstein

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >i continue to receive this error. i can connect wirelessly with third
> >party
> > connection management software such as boingo and config utility that came
> > with my adapter card, but whenever i try to connect with windows utility i
> > get the same error. even in the system tray it says wireless networks
> > detected in range and when i click on it to see them, i get the same
> > message,
> > no wireless networks were found in range.
> > i've made sure that wireless zero configuration is running and have
> > stopped
> > and restarted it but still nothing.....any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > paul

permafrost91 permafrost91 is offline
Junior Member

I'm having the same problems ... windows can't find any wireless networks in range for the last few days ... I fully updated everything via WindowsUpdate to no avail. Still cannot access any wireless networks.

What's the problem? What's the fix?

Thanks!

FakerMcFakerson FakerMcFakerson is offline
Junior Member

Here's my experience

~: The Wireless Zero Configuration services was set to Automatic and the service was set to control my wireless connections.
~: I could automatically connect to my wireless router, but could not VIEW any networks via the Wireless Zero Configuration controls.
~: There was no Third Party software installed for managing wireless connections
~: Having "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" CHECKED within the interface's driver allowed the adapter to connect to my router automatically.

~/~Having the EVENT LOG service Disabled was apparently the culprit in this situation. Having re-enabled it Wireless Zero Configuration can now view all networks that broadcast their SSID. Which was not the case beforehand.

Hope that helps someone.

jorlando jorlando is offline
Junior Member

Your answer surely helped me, Faker!

Thanks a LOT!

I had the same problem, with an Atheros 5005B on my notebook (Acer Aspire 5102 wlmi)

The problem started just after a driver update with the same simptoms:

- Wireless button in the notebook turned on
- Windows Zero Configuration service started
- A popup baloon on the taskbar informing that networks were in range
- Windows Zero Configuration could not find netorks in range error

Solution:

- start the eventlog service
- restart the Windows Zero Configuration service

Note: the eventlog service is NOT LISTED as dependence in Windows Zero Configuration service!

The Atheros driver installer, by some unknown reason, stops the eventlog service and changes it from "Automatic" to "Manual"
during the install and don't restart the service after finishing the install proccess.

Since the service was changed to "Manual" restarting the computer won't solve the problem, you must open the Administrative
Tools applet and open the Services tool, look for the eventlog entry and change it to Automatic and start it again. I restarted the
Windows Zero Configuration service too, but I don't know if it is really necessary.