Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > 70-536 exam

70-536 exam

=?Utf-8?B?Um9tbWVs?=

hi, i would like to know if, after completion of this exam, you would qualify
as Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)?

=?Utf-8?B?aG93YXJkIGRpZXJraW5n?=

Hi Rommel,

70-536 is the prerequisite exam for other MCTS credential exams (web, win,
dist apps). However, this exam grants no credential of its own.

thanks,

_howard

Howard Dierking
Product Planner
Developer and Database Certifications
Microsoft Learning

"Rommel" wrote:

> hi, i would like to know if, after completion of this exam, you would qualify
> as Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)?

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlXZXN0TUNTRA==?=

Howard: If this exam grants no credential of its own, then Microsoft needs
to update its MCP Certification Requirements webpage. That page
(http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp) states:

Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) candidates are required to pass one
current Microsoft certification exam that provides a valid and reliable
measure of technical proficiency and expertise (a current exam is any that
has not been retired).
Note: Exam 70-058: Networking Essentials is an exception to the one exam
requirement. Passing this exam alone will not certify an individual as an
MCP.

Note the word "current". Exam 70-536 is a current exam and thus should
count towards your MCP, right? This implies that it is also possible to be an
MCSD in Visual Studio 6, and NOT be an MCP, as all MCSD-VS6 exams have
retired.

Can someone actually from Microsoft verify this?
--
Larry J. West, MCSD, MOUS, FLMI, ACS

"howard dierking" wrote:

> Hi Rommel,
>
> 70-536 is the prerequisite exam for other MCTS credential exams (web, win,
> dist apps). However, this exam grants no credential of its own.
>
> thanks,
>
> _howard
>
> Howard Dierking
> Product Planner
> Developer and Database Certifications
> Microsoft Learning
>
> "Rommel" wrote:
>
> > hi, i would like to know if, after completion of this exam, you would qualify
> > as Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)?

=?Utf-8?B?aG93YXJkIGRpZXJraW5n?=

Hi Larry,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will change the language on
the MCP requirements page to add 70-536 as an exception.

http://blogs.msdn.com/howard_dierking

"LarryWestMCSD" wrote:

> Howard: If this exam grants no credential of its own, then Microsoft needs
> to update its MCP Certification Requirements webpage. That page
> (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp) states:
>
> Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) candidates are required to pass one
> current Microsoft certification exam that provides a valid and reliable
> measure of technical proficiency and expertise (a current exam is any that
> has not been retired).
> Note: Exam 70-058: Networking Essentials is an exception to the one exam
> requirement. Passing this exam alone will not certify an individual as an
> MCP.
>
> Note the word "current". Exam 70-536 is a current exam and thus should
> count towards your MCP, right? This implies that it is also possible to be an
> MCSD in Visual Studio 6, and NOT be an MCP, as all MCSD-VS6 exams have
> retired.
>
> Can someone actually from Microsoft verify this?
> --
> Larry J. West, MCSD, MOUS, FLMI, ACS
>

> "howard dierking" wrote:
>
> > Hi Rommel,
> >
> > 70-536 is the prerequisite exam for other MCTS credential exams (web, win,
> > dist apps). However, this exam grants no credential of its own.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > _howard
> >
> > Howard Dierking
> > Product Planner
> > Developer and Database Certifications
> > Microsoft Learning
> >
> > "Rommel" wrote:
> >
> > > hi, i would like to know if, after completion of this exam, you would qualify
> > > as Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)?

Kev

When I passed the 70-536 exam last month I got the MCP certification
welcome email and also got access to the MCP website, so you do get a
certification for it.

Kev

>> "howard dierking" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Rommel,
>> >
>> > 70-536 is the prerequisite exam for other MCTS credential exams
>> > (web, win, dist apps). However, this exam grants no credential of
>> > its own.
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> >
>> > _howard

=?Utf-8?B?aG93YXJkIGRpZXJraW5n?=

So here's where it gets a little confusing. When you pass 70-536, you
officially get all of the MCP benefits (e.g. - access to the website, welcome
pack, etc...) - but you are not actually awarded MCP status.

Sorry for the confusion. We are currently working on clarifying this on the
website.

"Kev" wrote:

> When I passed the 70-536 exam last month I got the MCP certification
> welcome email and also got access to the MCP website, so you do get a
> certification for it.
>
> Kev

Kev

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> So here's where it gets a little confusing. When you pass 70-536, you
> officially get all of the MCP benefits (e.g. - access to the website,
> welcome pack, etc...) - but you are not actually awarded MCP status.
>
> Sorry for the confusion. We are currently working on clarifying this
> on the website.
>
> _howard
>
> Howard Dierking
> Product Planner
> Developer and Database Certifications, Microsoft Learning
> http://blogs.msdn.com/howard_dierking

Howard
Yes I got all the benefits, I actually thought I was an MCP at that
time. The funny thing is, the 70-536 exam was the most difficult exam
I've sat so far, the others have seemed easier due to not covering as
many areas.

Seems strange that the largest exam doesn't have any benefits on its
own.

--
Kev

MCTS: Windows Developer
MCTS: Distributed Applications Developer

Indu Indu is offline
Junior Member

Hello Kev..

I am also planning to take the 70-536 exam.I am almost done reading the MCTS Self trainning kit..so I am planning to take the exam in next couple of weeks..
would you please let me know the pass percentage of this exam and number of questions they ask and the time interval for this exam...

Thank you,
Indu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
When I passed the 70-536 exam last month I got the MCP certification
welcome email and also got access to the MCP website, so you do get a
certification for it.

Kev

>> "howard dierking" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Rommel,
>> >
>> > 70-536 is the prerequisite exam for other MCTS credential exams
>> > (web, win, dist apps). However, this exam grants no credential of
>> > its own.
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> >
>> > _howard

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgTG9jaw==?=

I agree with Kev. (Although I am an MCP) I just took this test and thought
that it was pretty tough compared with the VB.Net ASP.Net 1.1 test that I
took 3 years ago. There are a lot of areas covered with this test. Also, I
think that Microsoft needs to make this extremely clear since partners are
working on getting employees certified based on the posted information. So
for example, if I need an additional MCP on staff to earn points towards a
partner level I would like to know that this test will not count towards that
goal. We want our employees to work towards certifications that are
beneficial to their career and to the company.

So Howard, when you are reviewing the content please consider doing
something to help partners understand when things are eligible and when they
are not for MCP.

One other point on this, I had a very hard time finding out if the MCPD even
counted for compentencies that required MCSD credentials. It was not posted
in the partner management site (partners.microsoft.com) but was listed on the
main site (partner.microsoft.com).

Very confusing.

"Kev" wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > So here's where it gets a little confusing. When you pass 70-536, you
> > officially get all of the MCP benefits (e.g. - access to the website,
> > welcome pack, etc...) - but you are not actually awarded MCP status.
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion. We are currently working on clarifying this
> > on the website.
> >
> > _howard
> >
> > Howard Dierking
> > Product Planner
> > Developer and Database Certifications, Microsoft Learning
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/howard_dierking

> Howard
> Yes I got all the benefits, I actually thought I was an MCP at that
> time. The funny thing is, the 70-536 exam was the most difficult exam
> I've sat so far, the others have seemed easier due to not covering as
> many areas.
>
> Seems strange that the largest exam doesn't have any benefits on its
> own.
>
> --
> Kev
>
> MCTS: Windows Developer
> MCTS: Distributed Applications Developer

Chris Mullins

"Scott Lock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> One other point on this, I had a very hard time finding out if the MCPD
> even
> counted for compentencies that required MCSD credentials. It was not
> posted
> in the partner management site (partners.microsoft.com) but was listed on
> the
> main site (partner.microsoft.com).

It's funny that you mention this. I was recently tasked with:
"Get our company up to Certified Partner Status. Gold Partner if possible."

Some of this is easy to understand:
- Get our products tested by MS to have the various "designed for" logos on
them.
- Customer References
- Sell lots of Microsoft Software

The area in which I'm confused is related to the MCP stuff. I can't tell how
many MCP's I need, and how many points are given for specific things. None
of the net new certs (.Net 2.0, Sql2k5, etc) were listed that I could find.
I'm talking here about the general, "you need 50 points for Certified
Partner, and 100 points for Certified Gold Partner" stuff. I'm just trying
to figure out how best to achieve our point totals.

I can't tell if our DBA should go get an older MCDBA, or the newer SQL 2005
track. I can't tell if my MCPD counts towards this or not. I can't tell if I
get bonus points for being both MCSD, MCPD:Enterprise. I can't tell if I
should go get the MCPD:Win / Web certs for more points. Hell, I can't tell
if our DBA should punt on the SQL cert all together and get his MCAD / MCSD
/ MCTS / MCPD.

I general I'm hoping this gets cleared up soon. I understand we're still in
the transistion period between Certs, and MS has alot of stuff to update,
but it's coming up quick on a year and this needs to get cleaned up.

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise
http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins