Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > unconstrained two-dimensional array?

unconstrained two-dimensional array?

andrea2 andrea2 is offline
Junior Member

Hello,

I am using a two-dimensional array, the type is declared in a package:
type my_array is array (natural range <>) of std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);
Then I can use signals or ports of this type throughout my design:
signal my_signal: my_array(a downto 0);
where a is a generic value.

Now I wonder is it possible to make the second dimension of my 2-dim-array also depend on a generic? (Because in most cases I won't need a length of 32 bit...)
As I cannot use the generics in my package, this would mean to declare an array which is unconstrained in both dimensions...

I'll be very grateful if anyone can help me with this topic. Thanks!