Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Limit Limewire port

Limit Limewire port

gencode

I have a T1 on a 1720 that our ruel neighborhood is sharing over
wireless. Some people are using file sharing programs like Limewire
and that is using a lot of bandwidth. All I want to do is make sure
that port only gets 256K and all other ports get full bandwidth.

Or it so that web and ftp ports are guaranteed full T1 bandwidth, that
may work better.

I have "read" that QoS can do this but since I am no network person I
really don't know how. Is there a couple commands that someone can
post that I can just enter into our router to make this happen. Is QoS
something I need to buy or is it just something I can do on the routers
command line?

Thanks,

Ed,

Paul Cocker

Ed,

I use the following commands to limit the upload bandwidth for the ip
address 192.168.20.5 to 256k.

access-list 101 permit ip host 192.168.20.5 any

interface Ethernet0/0
rate-limit input access-group 101 256000 2000 2000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop

From my experience file sharing programs tend to cause most problems with
the upload speed rather than the download speed. If you've no experience
of cisco routers at all then I'd probably say this was beyond your
capabiities. If you want to learn then you could try this book

but it's not something you're likely to manage in a weekend, and that's just
an introduction.

If you'd like I'd be happy to try and help you if you gave me access to the
router. Though you don't know my from Adam so maybe that's not a good idea
on your part!

I've seen people who advertise their services on ebay, maybe that would be a
good alternative.

Regards
Paul

"gencode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a T1 on a 1720 that our ruel neighborhood is sharing over
> wireless. Some people are using file sharing programs like Limewire
> and that is using a lot of bandwidth. All I want to do is make sure
> that port only gets 256K and all other ports get full bandwidth.
>
> Or it so that web and ftp ports are guaranteed full T1 bandwidth, that
> may work better.
>
> I have "read" that QoS can do this but since I am no network person I
> really don't know how. Is there a couple commands that someone can
> post that I can just enter into our router to make this happen. Is QoS
> something I need to buy or is it just something I can do on the routers
> command line?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed,

gencode

Found this too, thanks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08010a38c.html

I guess really what I want to do is be sure that all "web" traffic and
"ftp" traffic have priority or full bandwidth (1.5mb) and all other
traffic like Games, KAZA ports have to fight it out over .5 mb

Thanks again,

Ed,

Paul Cocker wrote:
> Ed,
>
> I use the following commands to limit the upload bandwidth for the ip

> address 192.168.20.5 to 256k.
>
> access-list 101 permit ip host 192.168.20.5 any
>
> interface Ethernet0/0
> rate-limit input access-group 101 256000 2000 2000 conform-action

transmit
> exceed-action drop
>
> From my experience file sharing programs tend to cause most problems

with
> the upload speed rather than the download speed. If you've no

experience
> of cisco routers at all then I'd probably say this was beyond your
> capabiities. If you want to learn then you could try this book

> but it's not something you're likely to manage in a weekend, and

that's just
> an introduction.
>
> If you'd like I'd be happy to try and help you if you gave me access

to the
> router. Though you don't know my from Adam so maybe that's not a good

idea
> on your part!
>
> I've seen people who advertise their services on ebay, maybe that

would be a
> good alternative.
>
> Regards
> Paul
>

> "gencode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I have a T1 on a 1720 that our ruel neighborhood is sharing over
> > wireless. Some people are using file sharing programs like

Limewire
> > and that is using a lot of bandwidth. All I want to do is make

sure
> > that port only gets 256K and all other ports get full bandwidth.
> >
> > Or it so that web and ftp ports are guaranteed full T1 bandwidth,

that
> > may work better.
> >
> > I have "read" that QoS can do this but since I am no network person

> > really don't know how. Is there a couple commands that someone can
> > post that I can just enter into our router to make this happen. Is

QoS
> > something I need to buy or is it just something I can do on the

routers
> > command line?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ed,

gencode

Paul,

Thanks, yes I did notice that the upload had dropped down yesterday,
but they have turned sharing off, I know enough to do basic routes, one
to one NATS etc, but not much more than basic stuff.

So this will only limit upload...is there a way to limit download by IP
too?

They were affecting download speeds by kicking off 50 download
connections at once on Limewire, they were more than happy to set it
back to 1 at a time, they don't want to see problems on the network
either...hey even that is better than dial-up, but I would rather the
router do the managing for us instead of me having to "watch" what is
going on.

Thanks for the reading advice,

Ed,

Paul Cocker wrote:
> Ed,
>
> I use the following commands to limit the upload bandwidth for the ip

> address 192.168.20.5 to 256k.
>
> access-list 101 permit ip host 192.168.20.5 any
>
> interface Ethernet0/0
> rate-limit input access-group 101 256000 2000 2000 conform-action

transmit
> exceed-action drop
>
> From my experience file sharing programs tend to cause most problems

with
> the upload speed rather than the download speed. If you've no

experience
> of cisco routers at all then I'd probably say this was beyond your
> capabiities. If you want to learn then you could try this book

> but it's not something you're likely to manage in a weekend, and

that's just
> an introduction.
>
> If you'd like I'd be happy to try and help you if you gave me access

to the
> router. Though you don't know my from Adam so maybe that's not a good

idea
> on your part!
>
> I've seen people who advertise their services on ebay, maybe that

would be a
> good alternative.
>
> Regards
> Paul
>

> "gencode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I have a T1 on a 1720 that our ruel neighborhood is sharing over
> > wireless. Some people are using file sharing programs like

Limewire
> > and that is using a lot of bandwidth. All I want to do is make

sure
> > that port only gets 256K and all other ports get full bandwidth.
> >
> > Or it so that web and ftp ports are guaranteed full T1 bandwidth,

that
> > may work better.
> >
> > I have "read" that QoS can do this but since I am no network person

> > really don't know how. Is there a couple commands that someone can
> > post that I can just enter into our router to make this happen. Is

QoS
> > something I need to buy or is it just something I can do on the

routers
> > command line?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ed,

Some shareware has a time limit and the software will not work after the time limit has expired. anthony crowder Computer Support 20 01-16-2007 10:01 AM
Nbar, Limewire v4 Paul Spears Cisco 0 12-16-2005 11:22 PM
limewire v4 Paul Spears Cisco 0 12-16-2005 11:17 PM
c program, file size limit, how to solve? 2G bytes limit. guru.slt@gmail.com C++ 1 06-27-2005 11:05 PM
Downloading on Limewire and Kazaa Jenn Computer Support 6 04-29-2004 02:31 PM

Advertisments