Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > sharing " do not have permission"

sharing " do not have permission"

=?Utf-8?B?SmFjcXVlcw==?=

after many more hrs, still nothing. I can see the network. Runned (nbtstat
-n) on
both computers and both see the network. Desktop runs ok and has the
printer attached to it and the dsl modem wireless. My wireless laptop is
attached to the same network ( called it MY NETWORK ) and I can use the
internet.. From my desktop i can go and get files from the laptop. From my
laptop I can print to the desktop printer (networked) . From my laptop I can
see the network but when I click on the desktop icon it I get this error
\\Office is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the admisnistrator of this server to find ou if
you have access permission. Access is denied.
I even changed my password on both computer to be the same. Hope you have
a solution. Running windows xp home on both computers. Tried everything
and looked at many other sites but still nothing. Looked at what "Jack
(MVP_Networking) and still nothing.
Jacques

David Hettel

With home only certain folders can be shared, you can't for example share
your C:\ drive at the root level. With home you can not set permissions on a
per user base, if something is shared it's shared to all who have access to
the network. You might want to check your names, try only using A to Z, a
to z, and 0 to 9. No spaces in names, and make sure no two computers have
more than the first three letters in their name the same.

If you are using names as in \\office\ can you ping \\office\ from the other
computer by name? Does it return the correct IP address of office? What
happens if you used the IP address such as \\192.168.0.101\ to browse the
computer?

--
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

"Jacques" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> after many more hrs, still nothing. I can see the network. Runned
> (nbtstat
> -n) on
> both computers and both see the network. Desktop runs ok and has the
> printer attached to it and the dsl modem wireless. My wireless laptop is
> attached to the same network ( called it MY NETWORK ) and I can use the
> internet.. From my desktop i can go and get files from the laptop. From
> my
> laptop I can print to the desktop printer (networked) . From my laptop I
> can
> see the network but when I click on the desktop icon it I get this error
> \\Office is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the admisnistrator of this server to find ou if
> you have access permission. Access is denied.
> I even changed my password on both computer to be the same. Hope you
> have
> a solution. Running windows xp home on both computers. Tried everything
> and looked at many other sites but still nothing. Looked at what "Jack
> (MVP_Networking) and still nothing.
> Jacques

=?Utf-8?B?SmFjcXVlcw==?=

Hi David
I did a ping from my laptop to 192.168.2.11 and 192.168.2.11 both returned
ok. my desktop has folder \\office . but my laptop will not open to it. I
see the network and they have both icons (2 computers) ( I see this from both
networks) the desktop can see \\laptop and scan the folders shared their.
Everything else works, printer sharing. All firewalls are down. still get
the same error.

"David Hettel" wrote:

> With home only certain folders can be shared, you can't for example share
> your C:\ drive at the root level. With home you can not set permissions on a
> per user base, if something is shared it's shared to all who have access to
> the network. You might want to check your names, try only using A to Z, a
> to z, and 0 to 9. No spaces in names, and make sure no two computers have
> more than the first three letters in their name the same.
>
> If you are using names as in \\office\ can you ping \\office\ from the other
> computer by name? Does it return the correct IP address of office? What
> happens if you used the IP address such as \\192.168.0.101\ to browse the
> computer?
>
> --
> David Hettel

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights
>

> "Jacques" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > after many more hrs, still nothing. I can see the network. Runned
> > (nbtstat
> > -n) on
> > both computers and both see the network. Desktop runs ok and has the
> > printer attached to it and the dsl modem wireless. My wireless laptop is
> > attached to the same network ( called it MY NETWORK ) and I can use the
> > internet.. From my desktop i can go and get files from the laptop. From
> > my
> > laptop I can print to the desktop printer (networked) . From my laptop I
> > can
> > see the network but when I click on the desktop icon it I get this error
> > \\Office is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > network resource. Contact the admisnistrator of this server to find ou if
> > you have access permission. Access is denied.
> > I even changed my password on both computer to be the same. Hope you
> > have
> > a solution. Running windows xp home on both computers. Tried everything
> > and looked at many other sites but still nothing. Looked at what "Jack
> > (MVP_Networking) and still nothing.
> > Jacques

mostgear mostgear is offline
Junior Member

mostgear.com/en/Easy_Lan_Folder_Share_Detail.aspx

hope this helps.