Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > General Computer Support > I cannot get my computer to recognize my modem/router

I cannot get my computer to recognize my modem/router

nubwithoutinternet nubwithoutinternet is offline
Junior Member

I just got a new hard drive, and installed windows XP Professional on it. I cannot get the computer to recognize my router or my cable modem. It is not a hardware issue, because I can plug in one of my old hard drives, one that I barely use because it is my "backup" hard drive, and it will recognize my router and modem.

How do I get windows to recognize my modem and router?

JimmyD JimmyD is offline
Junior Member

Hello nubwithoutinternet,

This is long, but have a look

Have you checked the drivers for the NIC? Look in Device Manager and make sure your NIC is displayed, and does not have an (!) mark beside it, or displayed as an "Unknown Device" with a yellow (?).

Assumoing you have installed the NIC drivers, and all is well with that, have you tried running the "Internet Connection Wizard" in the new installation of Windows? You may simply need to "tell" Windows that you are connecting through a LAN.

Here's a link to a site that may help:

http://www.rescom.psu.edu/pages/icw/

Once the wizard has completed, try connecting to the Internet.

If you are not able to connect, open a command prompt (Start > Run > CMD), and type IPCONFIG /ALL in the black, DOS window - then press "Enter".

This should give you the IP Address, the subnet mask, the Default Gateway, and the list of DNS servers.

If that works, try to "ping" the gateway address. Type PING <the address of the gateway>. It should be something like 192.168.0.1. So in that case you would type PING 192.168.0.1. If you get a "Reply", you can "see" the gateway (your router).

If that does not work, try assigning a static IP in the same subnet as the router (by default most routers use 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x). substitute 3 for "x" when assigning a static IP.

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_configur...p_address.html

You could also try "Network Magic" to help you get the network setup - http://www.networkmagic.com/.

Hope this is helpful,

Jimmy