Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > IOS update - something went wrong :-)

IOS update - something went wrong :-)

elmar bschorer

hi @all,

i updated my ios from version 12.2 -> 12.3
i did the following:
CISCO# copy tftp flash
i was asked to confirm erasing the old ios. well, i confirmed that
k! the new ios was copied to flash and i was told that the flashing
process went "[OK]" fine!

so i decided to restart the router to take the new ios in place.
now i have the following situation after power on:

----------------------console--------------------------------------------
System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(11r)YV, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) TAC Support:
http://www.cisco.com/tac Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C800/SOHO series (Board ID: 30-132) platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80013000, size: 0x95e7d8
Self decompressing the image : #######################.....[OK]

then the boot-process stops. well, it seems to me because there is
no more output nor reaction on any input via console

did I do something wrong? did i forget any procedure-step ?
if there went something wrong? how can i reproduce the old situation?

many thanks in advance
greets

elmar

Neil

Did you check if your router has enough RAM to support the new IOS version?

If you didn't you can try using the link below to find out how much memory
is required to run the 12.3 image, you'll need a CCO account to use it
though, or just post the exact filename of the image you uploaded and I'll
check it for you.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

> i updated my ios from version 12.2 -> 12.3
> i did the following:
> CISCO# copy tftp flash
> i was asked to confirm erasing the old ios. well, i confirmed that
> k! the new ios was copied to flash and i was told that the flashing
> process went "[OK]" fine!
>
> so i decided to restart the router to take the new ios in place.
> now i have the following situation after power on:
>
> ----------------------console--------------------------------------------
> System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(11r)YV, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) TAC Support:
> http://www.cisco.com/tac Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
> C800/SOHO series (Board ID: 30-132) platform with 32768 Kbytes of main
> memory
>
> program load complete, entry point: 0x80013000, size: 0x95e7d8
> Self decompressing the image : #######################.....[OK]
>
> then the boot-process stops. well, it seems to me because there is
> no more output nor reaction on any input via console
>
> did I do something wrong? did i forget any procedure-step ?
> if there went something wrong? how can i reproduce the old situation?
>
> many thanks in advance
> greets
>
> elmar

elmar bschorer

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:38:11 +0000, Neil wrote:

> Did you check if your router has enough RAM to support the new IOS version?
>
> If you didn't you can try using the link below to find out how much memory
> is required to run the 12.3 image, you'll need a CCO account to use it
> though,

i have none
or just post the exact filename of the image you uploaded and I'll
> check it for you.

thanx very much:
original: c836-k9o3y6-mz.122-13.ZH2.bin
desired: c836-k9o3sy6-mz.123-11.T3.bin

BTW, I could already rstore my old IOS with tftpdnld - so i don't need any
help for booting my old ios but thanks anyway

greets elmar

>> i updated my ios from version 12.2 -> 12.3
>> i did the following:
>> CISCO# copy tftp flash
>> i was asked to confirm erasing the old ios. well, i confirmed that
>> k! the new ios was copied to flash and i was told that the flashing
>> process went "[OK]" fine!
>>
>> so i decided to restart the router to take the new ios in place.
>> now i have the following situation after power on:
>>
>> ----------------------console--------------------------------------------
>> System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(11r)YV, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) TAC Support:
>> http://www.cisco.com/tac Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
>> C800/SOHO series (Board ID: 30-132) platform with 32768 Kbytes of main
>> memory
>>
>> program load complete, entry point: 0x80013000, size: 0x95e7d8
>> Self decompressing the image : #######################.....[OK]
>>
>> then the boot-process stops. well, it seems to me because there is
>> no more output nor reaction on any input via console
>>
>> did I do something wrong? did i forget any procedure-step ?
>> if there went something wrong? how can i reproduce the old situation?
>>
>> many thanks in advance
>> greets
>>
>> elmar

anybody43@hotmail.com

You need 48M DRAM for the later release.

Looks like you have 32.

Neil

That's right you'll need 48M DRAM to run c836-k9o3sy6-mz.123-11.T3.bin and
any of the 12.3 series.

I checked the IOS Upgrade Planner at
http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/suppo...shtml#software and it seems
that 12.2.13-ZH4 is the latest you can run with 32M DRAM

c836-k9o3sy6-mz.122-13.ZH4.bin
Min. Memory: 32
Min. Flash: 8
Date released: 26-MAR-2004

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> You need 48M DRAM for the later release.
>
> Looks like you have 32.

elmar bschorer

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:51:19 +0000, Neil wrote:

> That's right you'll need 48M DRAM to run c836-k9o3sy6-mz.123-11.T3.bin and
> any of the 12.3 series.
>
> I checked the IOS Upgrade Planner at
> http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/suppo...shtml#software and it seems
> that 12.2.13-ZH4 is the latest you can run with 32M DRAM
>
> c836-k9o3sy6-mz.122-13.ZH4.bin
> Min. Memory: 32
> Min. Flash: 8
> Date released: 26-MAR-2004

k! neil, thank you very much for your information even though these are
bad news.

well, i bought this router at ebay. before i bought that router i read the
data-sheet for this model (c836) at cisco.com carefully, especially:
"Table 1. Key Product Features and Benefits" at
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08014ee18.html

there you can find:
- Cisco Intrusion Detection System (IDS)*
- AES encryption*
- URL filtering with WebSENSE and N2H2 software and server*
- IPSec NAT Transparency (NAT Traversal or NAT Aware IPSec)*

all items with that nice "*"

and the footnote:
"*" Features targeted for a future Cisco IOS Software release

hmm, now i am totally confused, on the one hand the data sheet tells that
there is no support for that services (with "*"), but i could enable that
features by updating to a future release!

now, when i have 12.2 running, version 12.3 is obviously the only
chance to update the router, isn`t it? so, if this doesn't work...because
of too less RAM - well, what chance do i have now to get those services to
run!? what does cisco expect me to do?
seems like a kind of "**** take", doesn't it?

greets elmar

elmar bschorer

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:27:35 +0100, elmar bschorer wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:51:19 +0000, Neil wrote:
>
>> That's right you'll need 48M DRAM to run c836-k9o3sy6-mz.123-11.T3.bin and
>> any of the 12.3 series.
>>
>> I checked the IOS Upgrade Planner at
>> http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/suppo...shtml#software and it seems
>> that 12.2.13-ZH4 is the latest you can run with 32M DRAM
>>
>> c836-k9o3sy6-mz.122-13.ZH4.bin
>> Min. Memory: 32
>> Min. Flash: 8
>> Date released: 26-MAR-2004
>>

> k! neil, thank you very much for your information even though these are
> bad news.
>
> well, i bought this router at ebay. before i bought that router i read the
> data-sheet for this model (c836) at cisco.com carefully, especially:
> "Table 1. Key Product Features and Benefits" at
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08014ee18.html
>
> there you can find:
> - Cisco Intrusion Detection System (IDS)*
> - AES encryption*
> - URL filtering with WebSENSE and N2H2 software and server*
> - IPSec NAT Transparency (NAT Traversal or NAT Aware IPSec)*
>
> all items with that nice "*"
>
> and the footnote:
> "*" Features targeted for a future Cisco IOS Software release
>
> hmm, now i am totally confused, on the one hand the data sheet tells that
> there is no support for that services (with "*"), but i could enable that
> features by updating to a future release!
>
> now, when i have 12.2 running, version 12.3 is obviously the only
> chance to update the router, isn`t it? so, if this doesn't work...because
> of too less RAM - well, what chance do i have now to get those services to
> run!? what does cisco expect me to do?
> seems like a kind of "**** take", doesn't it?
>
> greets elmar

k, i will update to the lastest possible release:
c836-k9o3sy6-mz.122-13.ZH4.bin and hope that then all those "*" services
are supported

greets again
elmar

Neil

If you want to run the 12.3 IOS version you can add 16 DRAM module,
MEM820-16D= is the code for the module you'll need, I got this from the link
below which gives you the information about the memory and the upgrade
procedure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800aff5f.html

Heres a link at eBay with the memory you need
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD2V

>> That's right you'll need 48M DRAM to run c836-k9o3sy6-mz.123-11.T3.bin
>> and
>> any of the 12.3 series.
>>
>> I checked the IOS Upgrade Planner at
>> http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/suppo...shtml#software and it
>> seems
>> that 12.2.13-ZH4 is the latest you can run with 32M DRAM
>>
>> c836-k9o3sy6-mz.122-13.ZH4.bin
>> Min. Memory: 32
>> Min. Flash: 8
>> Date released: 26-MAR-2004
>>

> k! neil, thank you very much for your information even though these are
> bad news.
>
> well, i bought this router at ebay. before i bought that router i read the
> data-sheet for this model (c836) at cisco.com carefully, especially:
> "Table 1. Key Product Features and Benefits" at
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08014ee18.html
>
> there you can find:
> - Cisco Intrusion Detection System (IDS)*
> - AES encryption*
> - URL filtering with WebSENSE and N2H2 software and server*
> - IPSec NAT Transparency (NAT Traversal or NAT Aware IPSec)*
>
> all items with that nice "*"
>
> and the footnote:
> "*" Features targeted for a future Cisco IOS Software release
>
> hmm, now i am totally confused, on the one hand the data sheet tells that
> there is no support for that services (with "*"), but i could enable that
> features by updating to a future release!
>
> now, when i have 12.2 running, version 12.3 is obviously the only
> chance to update the router, isn`t it? so, if this doesn't work...because
> of too less RAM - well, what chance do i have now to get those services to
> run!? what does cisco expect me to do?
> seems like a kind of "**** take", doesn't it?
>
> greets elmar

elmar bschorer

Neil, thank you very much again for your great support
i will get some DRAM for my router. but one thing still is strange to me...
after i had flashed the new ios and started the router the decompressing
image progress-bar ended with [OK].
well, to me, outputs like this say that everything went well but
apparently they haven't!
for this case, some kind of notification or just a "[FAILED]" would be
desirable btw

greets
elmar

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:32:14 +0000, Neil wrote:

> If you want to run the 12.3 IOS version you can add 16 DRAM module,
> MEM820-16D= is the code for the module you'll need, I got this from the link
> below which gives you the information about the memory and the upgrade
> procedure.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800aff5f.html
>

> Heres a link at eBay with the memory you need
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD2V
>

>>> That's right you'll need 48M DRAM to run c836-k9o3sy6-mz.123-11.T3.bin
>>> and
>>> any of the 12.3 series.
>>>
>>> I checked the IOS Upgrade Planner at
>>> http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/suppo...shtml#software and it
>>> seems
>>> that 12.2.13-ZH4 is the latest you can run with 32M DRAM
>>>
>>> c836-k9o3sy6-mz.122-13.ZH4.bin
>>> Min. Memory: 32
>>> Min. Flash: 8
>>> Date released: 26-MAR-2004
>>>

>> k! neil, thank you very much for your information even though these are
>> bad news.
>>
>> well, i bought this router at ebay. before i bought that router i read the
>> data-sheet for this model (c836) at cisco.com carefully, especially:
>> "Table 1. Key Product Features and Benefits" at
>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08014ee18.html
>>
>> there you can find:
>> - Cisco Intrusion Detection System (IDS)*
>> - AES encryption*
>> - URL filtering with WebSENSE and N2H2 software and server*
>> - IPSec NAT Transparency (NAT Traversal or NAT Aware IPSec)*
>>
>> all items with that nice "*"
>>
>> and the footnote:
>> "*" Features targeted for a future Cisco IOS Software release
>>
>> hmm, now i am totally confused, on the one hand the data sheet tells that
>> there is no support for that services (with "*"), but i could enable that
>> features by updating to a future release!
>>
>> now, when i have 12.2 running, version 12.3 is obviously the only
>> chance to update the router, isn`t it? so, if this doesn't work...because
>> of too less RAM - well, what chance do i have now to get those services to
>> run!? what does cisco expect me to do?
>> seems like a kind of "**** take", doesn't it?
>>
>> greets elmar

Neil

Well with 32M DRAM there's probably enough RAM for the IOS to fit into
memory, but then there's not enough memory left to run the image and it just
stalls at that point.

> Neil, thank you very much again for your great support
> i will get some DRAM for my router. but one thing still is strange to
> me...
> after i had flashed the new ios and started the router the decompressing
> image progress-bar ended with [OK].
> well, to me, outputs like this say that everything went well but
> apparently they haven't!
> for this case, some kind of notification or just a "[FAILED]" would be
> desirable btw
>
> greets
> elmar
>

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:32:14 +0000, Neil wrote:
>
>> If you want to run the 12.3 IOS version you can add 16 DRAM module,
>> MEM820-16D= is the code for the module you'll need, I got this from the
>> link
>> below which gives you the information about the memory and the upgrade
>> procedure.
>>
>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800aff5f.html
>>

>> Heres a link at eBay with the memory you need
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD2V

>>> k! neil, thank you very much for your information even though these are
>>> bad news.
>>>
>>> well, i bought this router at ebay. before i bought that router i read
>>> the
>>> data-sheet for this model (c836) at cisco.com carefully, especially:
>>> "Table 1. Key Product Features and Benefits" at
>>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08014ee18.html
>>>
>>> there you can find:
>>> - Cisco Intrusion Detection System (IDS)*
>>> - AES encryption*
>>> - URL filtering with WebSENSE and N2H2 software and server*
>>> - IPSec NAT Transparency (NAT Traversal or NAT Aware IPSec)*
>>>
>>> all items with that nice "*"
>>>
>>> and the footnote:
>>> "*" Features targeted for a future Cisco IOS Software release
>>>
>>> hmm, now i am totally confused, on the one hand the data sheet tells
>>> that
>>> there is no support for that services (with "*"), but i could enable
>>> that
>>> features by updating to a future release!
>>>
>>> now, when i have 12.2 running, version 12.3 is obviously the only
>>> chance to update the router, isn`t it? so, if this doesn't
>>> work...because
>>> of too less RAM - well, what chance do i have now to get those services
>>> run!? what does cisco expect me to do?
>>> seems like a kind of "**** take", doesn't it?
>>>
>>> greets elmar

"We're sorry, but something went wrong." : RoR 2.3.5 RichardOnRails C++ 1 03-12-2010 07:25 PM
something went wrong Dev Tri Ruby 15 11-18-2009 12:07 PM
instructions on how to perform an IOS upgrade on a Catalyst 6500 switch (IOS to IOS) Mike Rahl Cisco 1 05-30-2007 05:22 PM
something suddenly went wrong with my project ? folamour Java 15 06-14-2006 09:10 AM
something went wrong Martijn Mulder Java 1 07-20-2005 07:58 PM

Advertisments