Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Router Recommendations

Router Recommendations

Homer Jay

Hi,

I am trying to decide which wireless router I should buy, and am having a
tough time trying to make a decision. I have (sort of) narrowed it down to
either the Linksys WTR54G or the D-Link WBR2310.

Both are similar price (around $50) and offer similar functions. The main
difference I can see is that the D-Link offers speeds up to 108Mbps Vs the
Linksys 54Mbps.

Any opinions on either of these? or another recommendation for the same
price? I need something that is reliable as will be using it to work from
home, I also need something that will work well with a VoIP phone.

Thanks.

Lem

Homer Jay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to decide which wireless router I should buy, and am having a
> tough time trying to make a decision. I have (sort of) narrowed it down to
> either the Linksys WTR54G or the D-Link WBR2310.
>
> Both are similar price (around $50) and offer similar functions. The main
> difference I can see is that the D-Link offers speeds up to 108Mbps Vs the
> Linksys 54Mbps.
>
> Any opinions on either of these? or another recommendation for the same
> price? I need something that is reliable as will be using it to work from
> home, I also need something that will work well with a VoIP phone.
>
> Thanks.

Personally, I've had good experience with the Linksys WRT54G.

Subjectively, I've seen what seems to me to be a lot of posts in this ng
relating to problems with D-Link products.

Neither of these routers is specifically designed for VoiP. I know that
Linksys has such products, and I imagine that D-Link does too. For
example, the WRT54GP2 has "Two standard phone jacks enable feature-rich
telephone service over your cable or DSL Internet connection" and
Linksys makes models that are said to be specifically for Vonage or
Earthlink phone applications. I have no personal knowledge of any of
these VoiP products.

With respect to 108 Mbs v 54 Mbs, you should consider two facts:

-- The 802.11(g) spec calls for a max of 54Mbps. D-Link devices that
claim 108 Mbps almost certainly only come anywhere near that speed when
communicating between two D-Link devices each of which supports the 108
Mbps rate. Thus, depending on what sort of wireless adapters you have
on your various computers, you may or may not be able to take advantage
of this speed.

-- More importantly, most home DSL/Cable connections are limited to
around 1.5 Mbps to about 3 Mbps. The highest speed currently reported
on DSL Reports is around 10 Mbps (http://www.dslreports.com/archive).
Thus the only time that 54 Mbps (or 108 Mbps) becomes significant is
when you are transferring files between nodes on your own LAN. Unless
you plan on streaming media from one part of your house to another, or
are otherwise going to transfer large files, the speed of your wireless
network is not a limiting factor.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Homer Jay

"Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Homer Jay wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to decide which wireless router I should buy, and am having a
>> tough time trying to make a decision. I have (sort of) narrowed it down
>> to either the Linksys WTR54G or the D-Link WBR2310.
>>
>> Both are similar price (around $50) and offer similar functions. The main
>> difference I can see is that the D-Link offers speeds up to 108Mbps Vs
>> the Linksys 54Mbps.
>>
>> Any opinions on either of these? or another recommendation for the same
>> price? I need something that is reliable as will be using it to work from
>> home, I also need something that will work well with a VoIP phone.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Personally, I've had good experience with the Linksys WRT54G.
>
> Subjectively, I've seen what seems to me to be a lot of posts in this ng
> relating to problems with D-Link products.
>
> Neither of these routers is specifically designed for VoiP. I know that
> Linksys has such products, and I imagine that D-Link does too. For
> example, the WRT54GP2 has "Two standard phone jacks enable feature-rich
> telephone service over your cable or DSL Internet connection" and Linksys
> makes models that are said to be specifically for Vonage or Earthlink
> phone applications. I have no personal knowledge of any of these VoiP
> products.
>
> With respect to 108 Mbs v 54 Mbs, you should consider two facts:
>
> -- The 802.11(g) spec calls for a max of 54Mbps. D-Link devices that
> claim 108 Mbps almost certainly only come anywhere near that speed when
> communicating between two D-Link devices each of which supports the 108
> Mbps rate. Thus, depending on what sort of wireless adapters you have on
> your various computers, you may or may not be able to take advantage of
> this speed.
>
> -- More importantly, most home DSL/Cable connections are limited to
> around 1.5 Mbps to about 3 Mbps. The highest speed currently reported on
> DSL Reports is around 10 Mbps (http://www.dslreports.com/archive). Thus
> the only time that 54 Mbps (or 108 Mbps) becomes significant is when you
> are transferring files between nodes on your own LAN. Unless you plan on
> streaming media from one part of your house to another, or are otherwise
> going to transfer large files, the speed of your wireless network is not a
> limiting factor.
>

> --
> Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Thanks for the input, I went with the WRT54G in the end. I found far more
positive reviews on the Linksys than on the D-Link I was looking at (which I
also discoverd was also basically a repackaged older D-Link).

Also came to the same conclusion as you on the 54 vs 108Mbps debate, my
internet connectioni s 4Mbps. I am unlikely to be transferring too many
files around the house, nor stream any media around the house. All this came
down to the Linksys looking like the better product.

Not sure yet on the VoIP business, but I found some info on Google of people
using VoIP with the Linksys router so will have a look into that in the next
few weeks.

Lem

Homer Jay wrote:
> [...]

>> limiting factor.
>>

>> --
>> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
>>
>> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

> Thanks for the input, I went with the WRT54G in the end. I found far more
> positive reviews on the Linksys than on the D-Link I was looking at (which I
> also discoverd was also basically a repackaged older D-Link).
>
> Also came to the same conclusion as you on the 54 vs 108Mbps debate, my
> internet connectioni s 4Mbps. I am unlikely to be transferring too many
> files around the house, nor stream any media around the house. All this came
> down to the Linksys looking like the better product.
>
> Not sure yet on the VoIP business, but I found some info on Google of people
> using VoIP with the Linksys router so will have a look into that in the next

If you ever have problems with your new router, in addition to coming
here, Linksys chat support is pretty good, and there is a very helpful
user community at http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/

There's a lot of hype about wireless network speed, and many people
succumb to the marketing without thinking of the bottleneck that is
their ISP connection. As to VoiP, I'm sure it can be done with standard
routers like the WRT54G, you just need another box that goes between the
phone and the router.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Darrell

You may also want to consider the Linksys WRT54GL. There is also
aftermarket firmware that makes this router a top choice.

"Homer Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OVGFu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to decide which wireless router I should buy, and am having a
> tough time trying to make a decision. I have (sort of) narrowed it down to
> either the Linksys WTR54G or the D-Link WBR2310.
>
> Both are similar price (around $50) and offer similar functions. The main
> difference I can see is that the D-Link offers speeds up to 108Mbps Vs the
> Linksys 54Mbps.
>
> Any opinions on either of these? or another recommendation for the same
> price? I need something that is reliable as will be using it to work from
> home, I also need something that will work well with a VoIP phone.
>
> Thanks.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Assuming that you are in the USA.
There are D-Link SuperG (10 bundles (Router + Card) for less money.
The current version v5v6 of the WRT54G are not so Hot.
I would spend a little more and take the WRT54L (If necessary, it can be
augmented with 3rd party firmware to add a lot of functions).
If you do not want to play around the best choice among entry level Wireless
Routers is the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. With a matching card it can do its
version of "SuperG" 125Mb/sec. As is it can also work as WDS or Client unit
if necessary, it even can be flashed with 3rd party firmware as the WRT54L.
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...&categoryid=29
Buffalo offers a less expensive similar unit that is not High Power (It has
the same power as the other two mentioned above).
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...&categoryid=30
Jack (MVP-Networking).
Disclaimer, I have no connection with buffalo or any other Brand mentioned
above, my comments are based on hardware that I buy with my own money.

"Homer Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OVGFu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to decide which wireless router I should buy, and am having a
> tough time trying to make a decision. I have (sort of) narrowed it down to
> either the Linksys WTR54G or the D-Link WBR2310.
>
> Both are similar price (around $50) and offer similar functions. The main
> difference I can see is that the D-Link offers speeds up to 108Mbps Vs the
> Linksys 54Mbps.
>
> Any opinions on either of these? or another recommendation for the same
> price? I need something that is reliable as will be using it to work from
> home, I also need something that will work well with a VoIP phone.
>
> Thanks.

Lem

Darrell wrote:
> You may also want to consider the Linksys WRT54GL. There is also
> aftermarket firmware that makes this router a top choice.

> "Homer Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OVGFu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to decide which wireless router I should buy, and am
>> having a tough time trying to make a decision. I have (sort of)
>> narrowed it down to either the Linksys WTR54G or the D-Link WBR2310.
>>
>> Both are similar price (around $50) and offer similar functions. The
>> main difference I can see is that the D-Link offers speeds up to
>> 108Mbps Vs the Linksys 54Mbps.
>>
>> Any opinions on either of these? or another recommendation for the
>> same price? I need something that is reliable as will be using it to
>> work from home, I also need something that will work well with a VoIP
>> phone.
>>
>> Thanks.

Excellent point. Lot's of info re aftermarket firmware at
www.linksysinfo.org

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Rich

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:15:54 -0400, "Homer Jay"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to decide which wireless router I should buy, and am having a
>tough time trying to make a decision. I have (sort of) narrowed it down to
>either the Linksys WTR54G or the D-Link WBR2310.
>
>Both are similar price (around $50) and offer similar functions. The main
>difference I can see is that the D-Link offers speeds up to 108Mbps Vs the
>Linksys 54Mbps.
>
>Any opinions on either of these? or another recommendation for the same
>price? I need something that is reliable as will be using it to work from
>home, I also need something that will work well with a VoIP phone.
>
>Thanks.

you should consider the US Robotics MaxG.

73,
rich, n9dko

Thomas

I had a D-Link 614+ which gave me lots of problems with Skype and also
later with ViaTalk. Their tech support told me to get the WRT54G,
ANYTHING BUT version 5 (since that one has problems), so I got version
6, and since then the call quality has been A+.

Thanks,

Thomas
See review at http://www.BetterPhone.org