Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Am I crazy? Cannot secure my wireless network.

Am I crazy? Cannot secure my wireless network.

=?Utf-8?B?SG9ubmFsZWE=?=

I have a wireless network and attempted to secure my internet connection, but
was unable to do so. I followed the steps, setting it up on my labtop and
copying the connection to my flash drive. I go to my wireless access point
(a Linkseys wireless broadband phone etc.) and it has no USB port. Do I have
to get a new router? or can I do something else.

Sooner Al [MVP]

No, just copy-n-paste the WPA/WEP key to the router... If you forgot what it
is open up the \Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt file on the flash drive and copy the
key from there...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...604.mspx#EJCAC

FWIW I have to do the same thing since my old Buffalo WBR-G54 wireless
access point/router also does not have a USB port...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Honnalea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a wireless network and attempted to secure my internet connection,
>but
> was unable to do so. I followed the steps, setting it up on my labtop and
> copying the connection to my flash drive. I go to my wireless access
> point
> (a Linkseys wireless broadband phone etc.) and it has no USB port. Do I
> have
> to get a new router? or can I do something else.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Using the Routers web interface (look at the manual), set the security on
the Router first.
Copy the Security string and paste it to the Wireless Client.
This page describes the principle,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july28.mspx
Jack (MVP-Networking).