Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless networking an XP system and a ME system

wireless networking an XP system and a ME system

=?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=

I have somewhat successfully networked 2 PC's in my home. 1 is running XP.
the othe is using Me. They can both ping each other. My XP can view files on
the other, but the Me cannot see files or the printer on the XP. I've played
with the firewalls. What can I be missing?
--
kp

Patty

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:06:02 -0700, kp wrote:

> I have somewhat successfully networked 2 PC's in my home. 1 is running XP.
> the othe is using Me. They can both ping each other. My XP can view files on
> the other, but the Me cannot see files or the printer on the XP. I've played
> with the firewalls. What can I be missing?

Have you enabled File and Printer Sharing on the XP System? Is the XP
system Home or Pro? If Pro, you may need to set permissions on the XP
system or set the XP system to Simple File Sharing.

Patty

=?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=

Patty,
I've got XP home. I've enabled file and print sharing every way I can find.
I've turned off windows firewall and McAfee firewall. Is there anything I
have to do as far as determining which PC is the host? Or are there stttings
for peer to peer?
--
kp

"Patty" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:06:02 -0700, kp wrote:
>
> > I have somewhat successfully networked 2 PC's in my home. 1 is running XP.
> > the othe is using Me. They can both ping each other. My XP can view files on
> > the other, but the Me cannot see files or the printer on the XP. I've played
> > with the firewalls. What can I be missing?

> Have you enabled File and Printer Sharing on the XP System? Is the XP
> system Home or Pro? If Pro, you may need to set permissions on the XP
> system or set the XP system to Simple File Sharing.
>
> Patty

Patty

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:36:01 -0700, kp wrote:

> Patty,
> I've got XP home. I've enabled file and print sharing every way I can find.
> I've turned off windows firewall and McAfee firewall. Is there anything I
> have to do as far as determining which PC is the host? Or are there stttings
> for peer to peer?

You said you can "ping" the XP computer. Can you see it within the ME
system by going to "My Network Places", then "Entire Network". Can you see
your workgroup name? Can you doubleclick on the workgroup and see both the
ME and the XP computer?

Have you specifically shared any folders on the XP System by right-clicking
and then selecting Sharing? A window should open asking if you want to
share that folder on the network. You then give it a name. After that
point, the ME computer should see that folder.

Patty

GTS

On the XP machine, turn on "Enable NetBIOS over TCP". This is in the
advanced TCP settings (WINS tab) of your network connection properties.

If you still have a problem, open a command prompt on the ME machine and
type >start \\XPPCNetname (using the net name of your XP PC). If this
results in an error message, report back with the error code.
--

"kp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Patty,
> I've got XP home. I've enabled file and print sharing every way I can
> find.
> I've turned off windows firewall and McAfee firewall. Is there anything I
> have to do as far as determining which PC is the host? Or are there
> stttings
> for peer to peer?
> --
> kp
>

> "Patty" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:06:02 -0700, kp wrote:
>>
>> > I have somewhat successfully networked 2 PC's in my home. 1 is running
>> > XP.
>> > the othe is using Me. They can both ping each other. My XP can view
>> > files on
>> > the other, but the Me cannot see files or the printer on the XP. I've
>> > played
>> > with the firewalls. What can I be missing?

>> Have you enabled File and Printer Sharing on the XP System? Is the XP
>> system Home or Pro? If Pro, you may need to set permissions on the XP
>> system or set the XP system to Simple File Sharing.
>>
>> Patty

=?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=

GTS
tried the netbios over tcp. no luck. when I type start\\(name of PC) at the
command prompt, it tells me that windows doesn't recognize that name. Same
thing happens when I try this on the XP PC, looking for the Me PC.
--
kp

"GTS" wrote:

> On the XP machine, turn on "Enable NetBIOS over TCP". This is in the
> advanced TCP settings (WINS tab) of your network connection properties.
>
> If you still have a problem, open a command prompt on the ME machine and
> type >start \\XPPCNetname (using the net name of your XP PC). If this
> results in an error message, report back with the error code.
> --
>
> "kp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Patty,
> > I've got XP home. I've enabled file and print sharing every way I can
> > find.
> > I've turned off windows firewall and McAfee firewall. Is there anything I
> > have to do as far as determining which PC is the host? Or are there
> > stttings
> > for peer to peer?
> > --
> > kp

> >> Have you enabled File and Printer Sharing on the XP System? Is the XP
> >> system Home or Pro? If Pro, you may need to set permissions on the XP
> >> system or set the XP system to Simple File Sharing.
> >>
> >> Patty

=?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=

Patty
tried all that, except give it a name? already has a name? where I select to
"share", there is a "shared name", but I don't seem to be able to change it
--
kp

"Patty" wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:36:01 -0700, kp wrote:
>
> > Patty,
> > I've got XP home. I've enabled file and print sharing every way I can find.
> > I've turned off windows firewall and McAfee firewall. Is there anything I
> > have to do as far as determining which PC is the host? Or are there stttings
> > for peer to peer?

> You said you can "ping" the XP computer. Can you see it within the ME
> system by going to "My Network Places", then "Entire Network". Can you see
> your workgroup name? Can you doubleclick on the workgroup and see both the
> ME and the XP computer?
>
> Have you specifically shared any folders on the XP System by right-clicking
> and then selecting Sharing? A window should open asking if you want to
> share that folder on the network. You then give it a name. After that
> point, the ME computer should see that folder.
>
> Patty

=?Utf-8?B?a3A=?=

i should also mention that on the ME machine, under entire network I can see
the network and the XP machine. when I double click that station, I get "not
accessable, no permission" messages. I've turned off every protection I can
think of.
--
kp

"GTS" wrote:

> On the XP machine, turn on "Enable NetBIOS over TCP". This is in the
> advanced TCP settings (WINS tab) of your network connection properties.
>
> If you still have a problem, open a command prompt on the ME machine and
> type >start \\XPPCNetname (using the net name of your XP PC). If this
> results in an error message, report back with the error code.
> --
>
> "kp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Patty,
> > I've got XP home. I've enabled file and print sharing every way I can
> > find.
> > I've turned off windows firewall and McAfee firewall. Is there anything I
> > have to do as far as determining which PC is the host? Or are there
> > stttings
> > for peer to peer?
> > --
> > kp

> >> Have you enabled File and Printer Sharing on the XP System? Is the XP
> >> system Home or Pro? If Pro, you may need to set permissions on the XP
> >> system or set the XP system to Simple File Sharing.
> >>
> >> Patty

=?Utf-8?B?dHlkYXM=?=

"Patty" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:06:02 -0700, kp wrote:
>
> > I have somewhat successfully networked 2 PC's in my home. 1 is running XP.
> > the othe is using Me. They can both ping each other. My XP can view files on
> > the other, but the Me cannot see files or the printer on the XP. I've played
> > with the firewalls. What can I be missing?

> Have you enabled File and Printer Sharing on the XP System? Is the XP
> system Home or Pro? If Pro, you may need to set permissions on the XP
> system or set the XP system to Simple File Sharing.
>
> Patty

Patty

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:55:02 -0700, kp wrote:

> Patty
> tried all that, except give it a name? already has a name? where I select to
> "share", there is a "shared name", but I don't seem to be able to change it

Well, I don't know then. I have a home network using 3 XP Pro Computers,
one ME, and one XP Home. I recently replaced a Windows 98SE system with
the XP Home. Everyone sees everyone fine and everyone can print to
everyone's printers (providing I share them). I use a LinkSys switch, a
Linksys wired router and a Linksys Wireless Access Point. 2 computers (one
XP Home and one XP Pro) are wireless the rest are wired.

My XP Home allows me to put whatever I want into thw share name. Is the
entry box grayed out? Have you checked the "Share this folder on the
Network" box which should open up the field to allow you to name the share.
Does it do the same when you try to share a printer? Are you
right-clicking the item you want to share and selecting the "Sharing" tab?
XP Home should be fairly easy to share since it uses simple file sharing by
default. In My Computer, do you see a little hand on the device you want to
share?

What are your XP firewall settings? Have you enabled "File and Printing
Sharing" on the Exceptions tab?

When you click on your Network settings for your network, what things are
listed (open My Network Places, then right-click your network and select
properties).

In a peer-to-peer network no one computer is the "host". All computers can
share whatever resources they have. It's much different from a dedicated
server network. The dedicated server generally runs a specific network OS
such as 2000 Server or 2003 Server (we have one at work that still runs NT4
Server).

Patty