Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Simulation problem in VHDL Simili from Symphony EDA package.

Simulation problem in VHDL Simili from Symphony EDA package.

Daniel

How do I simulate CLOCK signal?

I'm previous user of ActiveHDL where I could simply choose "stimulators" -
clk, hotkey, forse '0', '1',...

I can't find anything like this in VHDL Simili's Sonata simulator.

Do I have to write a code for CLK signal? I read the official docs, but
couldn't find any information about this,...

Thanks.

Ajeetha

Your best bet will be to write one line code inside your "testbench"
as:

signal clock : std_logic := '0';
clock <= not clock after 10 ns;

HTH
Ajeetha, CVC
www.noveldv.com

Daniel wrote:
> How do I simulate CLOCK signal?
>
> I'm previous user of ActiveHDL where I could simply choose "stimulators" -
> clk, hotkey, forse '0', '1',...
>
> I can't find anything like this in VHDL Simili's Sonata simulator.
>
> Do I have to write a code for CLK signal? I read the official docs, but
> couldn't find any information about this,...
>
> Thanks.

Andy

You've just hit upon the main reason not to use such simulator commands
for stimulus: they're not portable between different simulators!

Better to stimulte from a vhdl testbench wrapper around your
unit-under-test, with a signal assignment such as:

signal clk : std_logic := '1'; -- init val is ok for sim!
signal stop : boolean := false;
constant clk_prd : time : 10 ns; -- change as requiresd
constant sim_time : time := 100 * clk_prd; -- change as required
clk <= not clk after clk_prd / 2 when not stop;

stop <= true after sim_time; -- stop clock

This will work from any vhdl simulator.

Andy

Daniel wrote:
> How do I simulate CLOCK signal?
>
> I'm previous user of ActiveHDL where I could simply choose "stimulators" -
> clk, hotkey, forse '0', '1',...
>
> I can't find anything like this in VHDL Simili's Sonata simulator.
>
> Do I have to write a code for CLK signal? I read the official docs, but
> couldn't find any information about this,...
>
> Thanks.

pitarda

I will take you advice and try to write the code this way.

Thanks.

Andy je napisal:
> You've just hit upon the main reason not to use such simulator commands
> for stimulus: they're not portable between different simulators!
>
> Better to stimulte from a vhdl testbench wrapper around your
> unit-under-test, with a signal assignment such as:
>
> signal clk : std_logic := '1'; -- init val is ok for sim!
> signal stop : boolean := false;
> constant clk_prd : time : 10 ns; -- change as requiresd
> constant sim_time : time := 100 * clk_prd; -- change as required
> clk <= not clk after clk_prd / 2 when not stop;
>
> stop <= true after sim_time; -- stop clock
>
> This will work from any vhdl simulator.
>
> Andy
>

> Daniel wrote:
> > How do I simulate CLOCK signal?
> >
> > I'm previous user of ActiveHDL where I could simply choose "stimulators" -
> > clk, hotkey, forse '0', '1',...
> >
> > I can't find anything like this in VHDL Simili's Sonata simulator.
> >
> > Do I have to write a code for CLK signal? I read the official docs, but
> > couldn't find any information about this,...
> >
> > Thanks.

Vhdl Simili, how to change a signal's value? hamboo VHDL 0 04-10-2008 12:08 AM
VHDL Simli by Symphony EDA. suddy72 VHDL 0 08-23-2007 02:10 PM
Symphony EDA read line error pini VHDL 0 10-28-2004 02:37 PM
VHDL Simili -Sonata VHDL User VHDL 4 09-02-2004 10:02 PM
Does Symphony EDA support altera_mf lib? Peter Sommerfeld VHDL 2 11-18-2003 07:34 PM

Advertisments