Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > problem downloading music (legally)

problem downloading music (legally)

Alan Moorman

I've just made an online purchase of an album, which is presented by
the site as a dozen individual tracks, not as one big file.

When I've clicked on a given track's on screen indicator (no, it
isn't a file name) I can't get the usual menu which includes a: Save
File as.....

Neither a left click nor a right click have that usual option in the
menu, for some reason.

If I simply click on one of the tracks, it apparently begins
"downloading" but what I get is a Quicktime screen, with a progress
bar and with player controls. I can play the track.

I've let several complete "downloading" in this way, but they don't
appear to end up saved on my drives, anywhere.

I've rebooted, tried again, even tried with dreaded Internet
Explorer. With IE a similar, but slightly different thing happens.
I get a "done" after a few seconds, but the dsl activity lights
continue to indicate activity for about as long as it would take to
download the file (my guess).

Still can't find any file on my drives.

I've done several system-wide searches, including "all files of the
type" which would be mp3 and while I came up with several
hundred .mp3 files, none of them were the ones I was trying to
download.

Somehow, I'm guessing that this may be a problem with the website? Is
there anything I can tell the guy who runs it that might result in
his site functioning more normally? (I know him very slightly,
but he's a good guy, and isn't trying to rook anyone out of not
getting product. . .)

Thanks for your kind consideration of this (probably) OT subject!

Alan Moorman

Leonidas Jones

Alan Moorman wrote:
> I've just made an online purchase of an album, which is presented by
> the site as a dozen individual tracks, not as one big file.
>
> When I've clicked on a given track's on screen indicator (no, it
> isn't a file name) I can't get the usual menu which includes a: Save
> File as.....
>
> Neither a left click nor a right click have that usual option in the
> menu, for some reason.
>
> If I simply click on one of the tracks, it apparently begins
> "downloading" but what I get is a Quicktime screen, with a progress
> bar and with player controls. I can play the track.
>
> I've let several complete "downloading" in this way, but they don't
> appear to end up saved on my drives, anywhere.
>
> I've rebooted, tried again, even tried with dreaded Internet
> Explorer. With IE a similar, but slightly different thing happens.
> I get a "done" after a few seconds, but the dsl activity lights
> continue to indicate activity for about as long as it would take to
> download the file (my guess).
>
> Still can't find any file on my drives.
>
> I've done several system-wide searches, including "all files of the
> type" which would be mp3 and while I came up with several
> hundred .mp3 files, none of them were the ones I was trying to
> download.
>
> Somehow, I'm guessing that this may be a problem with the website? Is
> there anything I can tell the guy who runs it that might result in
> his site functioning more normally? (I know him very slightly,
> but he's a good guy, and isn't trying to rook anyone out of not
> getting product. . .)
>
> Thanks for your kind consideration of this (probably) OT subject!
>
> Alan Moorman]

Have you tried right clicking and selecting Save Link As? That should
open Download Manager, and let you select the location of the download.

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I'm out.

Since it failed with both IE and FF, and since we can't test ourselves,
not having made the purchase, I am afraid you have to work with the site
owner. Since you know him, I am sure he can help get the file to you.

Lee

Ed Mullen

Alan Moorman wrote:
> I've just made an online purchase of an album, which is presented by
> the site as a dozen individual tracks, not as one big file.
>
> Somehow, I'm guessing that this may be a problem with the website? Is
> there anything I can tell the guy who runs it that might result in
> his site functioning more normally? (I know him very slightly,
> but he's a good guy, and isn't trying to rook anyone out of not
> getting product. . .)

Absolutely impossible to help without a URL to check out.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Alan Moorman

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:04:26 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Alan Moorman wrote:
>> I've just made an online purchase of an album, which is presented by
>> the site as a dozen individual tracks, not as one big file.
>>
>> When I've clicked on a given track's on screen indicator (no, it
>> isn't a file name) I can't get the usual menu which includes a: Save
>> File as.....
>>
>> Neither a left click nor a right click have that usual option in the
>> menu, for some reason.
>>
>> If I simply click on one of the tracks, it apparently begins
>> "downloading" but what I get is a Quicktime screen, with a progress
>> bar and with player controls. I can play the track.
>>
>> I've let several complete "downloading" in this way, but they don't
>> appear to end up saved on my drives, anywhere.
>>
>> I've rebooted, tried again, even tried with dreaded Internet
>> Explorer. With IE a similar, but slightly different thing happens.
>> I get a "done" after a few seconds, but the dsl activity lights
>> continue to indicate activity for about as long as it would take to
>> download the file (my guess).
>>
>> Still can't find any file on my drives.
>>
>> I've done several system-wide searches, including "all files of the
>> type" which would be mp3 and while I came up with several
>> hundred .mp3 files, none of them were the ones I was trying to
>> download.
>>
>> Somehow, I'm guessing that this may be a problem with the website? Is
>> there anything I can tell the guy who runs it that might result in
>> his site functioning more normally? (I know him very slightly,
>> but he's a good guy, and isn't trying to rook anyone out of not
>> getting product. . .)
>>
>> Thanks for your kind consideration of this (probably) OT subject!
>>
>> Alan Moorman]

>Have you tried right clicking and selecting Save Link As? That should
>open Download Manager, and let you select the location of the download.
>
>If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I'm out.
>
>Since it failed with both IE and FF, and since we can't test ourselves,
>not having made the purchase, I am afraid you have to work with the site
>owner. Since you know him, I am sure he can help get the file to you.
>
>Lee

In fact, it wasn't his problem. It was the Firefox setting about how
to handle mp3 files. It was set to play them with QT (which I guess
was the default).

I changed the setting so that it downloaded them. It works!

Duh!

Alan

==

It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death.
I just think we should take the warning labels off of everything
and let the problem take care of itself.

Leonidas Jones

Alan Moorman wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:04:26 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Alan Moorman wrote:
>>> I've just made an online purchase of an album, which is presented by
>>> the site as a dozen individual tracks, not as one big file.
>>>
>>> When I've clicked on a given track's on screen indicator (no, it
>>> isn't a file name) I can't get the usual menu which includes a: Save
>>> File as.....
>>>
>>> Neither a left click nor a right click have that usual option in the
>>> menu, for some reason.
>>>
>>> If I simply click on one of the tracks, it apparently begins
>>> "downloading" but what I get is a Quicktime screen, with a progress
>>> bar and with player controls. I can play the track.
>>>
>>> I've let several complete "downloading" in this way, but they don't
>>> appear to end up saved on my drives, anywhere.
>>>
>>> I've rebooted, tried again, even tried with dreaded Internet
>>> Explorer. With IE a similar, but slightly different thing happens.
>>> I get a "done" after a few seconds, but the dsl activity lights
>>> continue to indicate activity for about as long as it would take to
>>> download the file (my guess).
>>>
>>> Still can't find any file on my drives.
>>>
>>> I've done several system-wide searches, including "all files of the
>>> type" which would be mp3 and while I came up with several
>>> hundred .mp3 files, none of them were the ones I was trying to
>>> download.
>>>
>>> Somehow, I'm guessing that this may be a problem with the website? Is
>>> there anything I can tell the guy who runs it that might result in
>>> his site functioning more normally? (I know him very slightly,
>>> but he's a good guy, and isn't trying to rook anyone out of not
>>> getting product. . .)
>>>
>>> Thanks for your kind consideration of this (probably) OT subject!
>>>
>>> Alan Moorman]

>> Have you tried right clicking and selecting Save Link As? That should
>> open Download Manager, and let you select the location of the download.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I'm out.
>>
>> Since it failed with both IE and FF, and since we can't test ourselves,
>> not having made the purchase, I am afraid you have to work with the site
>> owner. Since you know him, I am sure he can help get the file to you.
>>
>> Lee

> In fact, it wasn't his problem. It was the Firefox setting about how
> to handle mp3 files. It was set to play them with QT (which I guess
> was the default).
>
> I changed the setting so that it downloaded them. It works!
>
> Duh!
>
> Alan

Just out of curiosity, was this a Firefox setting or a Quick Time
setting? If it was in Firefox, how did you change the setting?

In either case, a right click and Save Link As should have gotten past it.

Lee

Alan Moorman

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:53:47 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Alan Moorman wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:04:26 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Have you tried right clicking and selecting Save Link As? That should
>>> open Download Manager, and let you select the location of the download.
>>>
>>> If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I'm out.
>>>
>>> Since it failed with both IE and FF, and since we can't test ourselves,
>>> not having made the purchase, I am afraid you have to work with the site
>>> owner. Since you know him, I am sure he can help get the file to you.
>>>
>>> Lee

>> In fact, it wasn't his problem. It was the Firefox setting about how
>> to handle mp3 files. It was set to play them with QT (which I guess
>> was the default).
>>
>> I changed the setting so that it downloaded them. It works!
>>
>> Duh!
>>
>> Alan
>>

>Just out of curiosity, was this a Firefox setting or a Quick Time
>setting? If it was in Firefox, how did you change the setting?
>
>In either case, a right click and Save Link As should have gotten past it.
>
>Lee.

....and, of course, if that HAD worked, this thread wouldn't have been
started in the first place. . . . . .

in TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS find the button for VIEW AND EDIT ACTIONS
this opens a menu of various file types, with the action that is
current. Such as "open and view with __________"

I had to change mine from that to "download" in order to make it work
the way I expected.

Any idea why the default would be something like "view" instead of
"download"???

Alan

==

Alan Moorman wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:53:47 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Alan Moorman wrote:

>>> In fact, it wasn't his problem. It was the Firefox setting about how
>>> to handle mp3 files. It was set to play them with QT (which I guess
>>> was the default).
>>>
>>> I changed the setting so that it downloaded them. It works!
>>>
>>> Duh!
>>>
>>> Alan
>>>

>> Just out of curiosity, was this a Firefox setting or a Quick Time
>> setting? If it was in Firefox, how did you change the setting?
>>
>> In either case, a right click and Save Link As should have gotten past it.
>>
>> Lee.

> ...and, of course, if that HAD worked, this thread wouldn't have been
> started in the first place. . . . . .
>
> in TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS find the button for VIEW AND EDIT ACTIONS
> this opens a menu of various file types, with the action that is
> current. Such as "open and view with __________"
>
> I had to change mine from that to "download" in order to make it work
> the way I expected.
>
> Any idea why the default would be something like "view" instead of
> "download"???
>
> Alan

That's why I said should. It may be something in the way the page was
coded, without seeing it we can't tell, and it really doesn't matter anyhow.

As to the setting, its not a default setting, at some point you set it.

If you set up a clean profile, the list in View and Edit Actions will be
blank. The list gets populated when you encounter files, and get the
dialog asking whether you want to open the file, and gives the chance to
select the program with which to open it, or to download it. There is a
box to check, something like Always perform this action with this type
of file.

If you check that box, Firefox remembers the action for that type of
file, and stores that action in the list. At some time, you, or someone
using your profile, must have encountered an mp3, choose the play it
with QT, and selected to remember the action. That's the only way an
action gets in that list.

Lee

Alan Moorman

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:03:23 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Alan Moorman wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:53:47 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Just out of curiosity, was this a Firefox setting or a Quick Time
>>> setting? If it was in Firefox, how did you change the setting?
>>>
>>> In either case, a right click and Save Link As should have gotten past it.
>>>
>>> Lee.

>> ...and, of course, if that HAD worked, this thread wouldn't have been
>> started in the first place. . . . . .
>>
>> in TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOWNLOADS find the button for VIEW AND EDIT ACTIONS
>> this opens a menu of various file types, with the action that is
>> current. Such as "open and view with __________"
>>
>> I had to change mine from that to "download" in order to make it work
>> the way I expected.
>>
>> Any idea why the default would be something like "view" instead of
>> "download"???
>>
>> Alan

>That's why I said should. It may be something in the way the page was
>coded, without seeing it we can't tell, and it really doesn't matter anyhow.
>
>As to the setting, its not a default setting, at some point you set it.

No. I didn't.

>If you set up a clean profile, the list in View and Edit Actions will be
>blank. The list gets populated when you encounter files, and get the
>dialog asking whether you want to open the file, and gives the chance to
>select the program with which to open it, or to download it. There is a
>box to check, something like Always perform this action with this type
>of file.
>
>If you check that box, Firefox remembers the action for that type of
>file, and stores that action in the list. At some time, you, or someone
>using your profile, must have encountered an mp3, choose the play it
>with QT, and selected to remember the action. That's the only way an
>action gets in that list.
>
>Lee

Alan

Haagen-Dazs translates roughly as: