Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Where do I start? What is an MCP or MCSA?? Little confused

Where do I start? What is an MCP or MCSA?? Little confused

ridergroov

HI folks. I am basically wanting ot start on some of my Microsoft
certifications and I am a little confused after reading about them what
which ones are and where I should be starting/going with them? I
currently have my A+ and my Network + certs. I am for the most part a
networker and desktop "engineer" so to speak and I want to know what to
do...opinions anyway. Should I get my MCP and what is that exactly?
Same qeustions for the MCSA. I am a little lost about what each are
after reading from the MS site. I am not sure of what the requirements
are or what will benefit me the most and would appreciate any insight
anyone would have for me. Thanks.

BD [MCNGP]

"ridergroov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Well, first off, most of the exams you pass will get you the MCP
status...for the first one you take. You won't have 7 MCPs if you take 7
exams, it's just that the first exam you take will get you the MCP status.

Now, from what you've described below, you'd probably want to the MCSA/MCSE
route.

I won't do your homework for you, but I will give you a few places where you
can start looking.

First, bookmark this website, I suggest having it as your homepage for a
while until you're used to it. There is alot of great information that comes
up here and M$ is always making changes to it.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/

Next, check out the certifications that you're interested in. In this case,
MCSA and MCSE would be where you would want to start.

Since MCSA is not a pre-requisite to MCSE, but can be obtained on the way to
getting your MCSE, I would suggest looking into the similarities between the
two exams. You will find that many exams that are listed in the MCSA are
also listed in the MCSE (no, you won't have to take them twice) that's what
you need to look at though.

So, from the link above, look at the gray menu on the lefthand side of the
screen. In the 'Certification' section, highlight 'Microsoft Certifications'
then click on the link for either MCSE or MCSA.

As for the requirements, they're simple...knowledge of the discipline and
the cost of the exam fees (which vary depending on your region)...but since
you're here in the US, $125.....BUT, you can get vouchers that will reduce
the cost of the exam.

> HI folks. I am basically wanting ot start on some of my Microsoft
> certifications and I am a little confused after reading about them what
> which ones are and where I should be starting/going with them? I
> currently have my A+ and my Network + certs. I am for the most part a
> networker and desktop "engineer" so to speak and I want to know what to
> do...opinions anyway. Should I get my MCP and what is that exactly?
> Same qeustions for the MCSA. I am a little lost about what each are
> after reading from the MS site. I am not sure of what the requirements
> are or what will benefit me the most and would appreciate any insight
> anyone would have for me. Thanks.

ridergroov

First off, thank you for taking the time to post that message. I did a
little fishing on that link and I did indeed find many answers to my
questons. I think I would probably start working on my MCSA on Server
2003 since that seems like a good direction for me to go in. One thing
I didn't really see without signing up for it was the price of the
classes that they speak of. I'm sure I could do it on my own but if
they have classes that I can take, that woudl be good too. Do you know
if there is a price associated with those? We (work) do have software
assurance on all of our software and I thougth I might have read
somewhere that that can give you access to classes for free but I'm not
finding where I saw that currently. That would be another question for
you. Again, thank you very much for any info that you can provide, I
really appreciate it.

BD [MCNGP] wrote:
> "ridergroov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Well, first off, most of the exams you pass will get you the MCP
> status...for the first one you take. You won't have 7 MCPs if you take 7
> exams, it's just that the first exam you take will get you the MCP status.
>
> Now, from what you've described below, you'd probably want to the MCSA/MCSE
> route.
>
> I won't do your homework for you, but I will give you a few places where you
> can start looking.
>

> First, bookmark this website, I suggest having it as your homepage for a
> while until you're used to it. There is alot of great information that comes
> up here and M$ is always making changes to it.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/
>
> Next, check out the certifications that you're interested in. In this case,
> MCSA and MCSE would be where you would want to start.
>
> Since MCSA is not a pre-requisite to MCSE, but can be obtained on the way to
> getting your MCSE, I would suggest looking into the similarities between the
> two exams. You will find that many exams that are listed in the MCSA are
> also listed in the MCSE (no, you won't have to take them twice) that's what
> you need to look at though.
>
> So, from the link above, look at the gray menu on the lefthand side of the
> screen. In the 'Certification' section, highlight 'Microsoft Certifications'
> then click on the link for either MCSE or MCSA.
>

> As for the requirements, they're simple...knowledge of the discipline and
> the cost of the exam fees (which vary depending on your region)...but since
> you're here in the US, $125.....BUT, you can get vouchers that will reduce
> the cost of the exam.
>

> > HI folks. I am basically wanting ot start on some of my Microsoft
> > certifications and I am a little confused after reading about them what
> > which ones are and where I should be starting/going with them? I
> > currently have my A+ and my Network + certs. I am for the most part a
> > networker and desktop "engineer" so to speak and I want to know what to
> > do...opinions anyway. Should I get my MCP and what is that exactly?
> > Same qeustions for the MCSA. I am a little lost about what each are
> > after reading from the MS site. I am not sure of what the requirements
> > are or what will benefit me the most and would appreciate any insight
> > anyone would have for me. Thanks.

BD [MCNGP]

"ridergroov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
No problem. Yeah, MCSA 2003 would be a good intermediary goal to work
toward. There are only 4 exams that are required for the MCSA 2003. 3 Core
(70-290, 70-291, and either 70-270[XP] or 70-210[2K]) and 1 elective. BUT,
since you already have your A+ and Network+, that elective is already taken
care of. See, so you're already 25% done with your MCSA.

Now, once you've earned your MCSA, I believe you'll only need 3 more exams
before you're an MCSE. It's been a while since I researched it and you've
got a ways to go anyways, so when you're at that point, you can inquire
more.

As for the training classes, there are free courses and I believe there are
courses that can be paid for. I haven't taken the paid courses, but I have
gone through some of the free courses and they helped a little, but most of
your experience should come from OJT anyways. If all your experience comes
from a book, then you're going to be missing out on alot of good
information.

I'm sure there is someone else around here that is "ALL knowledgeable" and
would be able to point you in the right direction.....hey....GetSerious
knows EVERYTHING there is to know about EVERYTHING. He's proven it already
(71).

Seriously though, I'm just being an @$$ about GetSerious because I know he
hates it. There is someone in one of these newsgroups that would be able to
help you out with the Software Assurance thing, I have no idea.

Good Luck to you.

--
BD
MCNGP #51