Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > connectivity

connectivity

=?Utf-8?B?QWw=?=

I am running xp pro sp2 on a thinkpad r50e on a wireless network in my home
office with 31 other laptop and a desktop set up with a usb connection

I recently installed Thinkvantage Access Connection.

Ever since the setting states always 11mps

Previously it had varied fro 36 to 54 mps

Does this slow me down any since the connection only shows me 11mps?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Al <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I am running xp pro sp2 on a thinkpad r50e on a wireless network in
> my home office with 31 other laptop and a desktop set up with a usb
> connection
>
> I recently installed Thinkvantage Access Connection.
>
> Ever since the setting states always 11mps
>
> Previously it had varied fro 36 to 54 mps
>
> Does this slow me down any since the connection only shows me 11mps?

If all you're connecting to is the internet, then it won't really matter (as
you can't drive a Ferarri at its maximum speed on a tiny little parkway),
but if you're trying to connect to other local network resources that are at
a higher speed, then yes, it'll slow you down.

Check the IBM access connections properties for this particular location
profile - there's a "wireless mode" setting that may not be appropriate. Try
Auto, or try forcing G.

David Hettel

Yes I agree it sounds like you have the location profile configured
incorrectly. When you are only connecting at 11 mps do this;
| Start (menu) | All Programs | ThinkVantage | Access Connections | In the
new window that appears, you'll see Locations: Note the name here. This is
the one you wish to edit | Locations | Manage Profiles... | click on the
profile you noted above to highlight it, if it is not highlighted. | Profile
Action | Edit... | click on the Wireless Settings (tab) at the top, 3.
Wireless mode should be Auto, if not change to Auto. Then Ok.

David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

news:%234BYPQ%(E-Mail Removed)...