Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Internet Connection Sharing using Bluetooth.

Internet Connection Sharing using Bluetooth.

=?Utf-8?B?U2hpc2hpciBTcml2YXN0YXZh?=

Hi,
First I hope this is the pertinent community for bluetooth related queries
on Windows XP. Apologies if not. Coming to my bedlam..yes that's what I call
it , because of soo many confusions I have created while trying to share the
internet connection using it.

The scenario : I have two bluetooth USB dongles, One PC, One laptop and a
DSL broadband internet connection connected to PC. I wish to create a
wireless connection between my laptop and PC using Bluetooth in order to
access internet wirelessly on my laptop.

The IVT Bluesoleil bluetooth dongles which I have, came along with a
software to connect bluetooth devices with each other using various profiles,
such as PAN, LAP (LAN Access Profile) etc.

Where I stand as of now : I am able to connect the two BT devices attached
on to my PC and laptop respectively using both PAN and LAP connections.

The bedlam: When I am connected only through PAN, the IP adresses assigned
are of the type 192.168.50.X. I get the connection icons in the taskbar on
both of my machines. However I cannot ping any of machines from the other
one. I cannot even open the shared folders on the other machine. And also for
both the connections keep on sending packets but not a single packet is
recieved on either machine.

When I connect the machines usind Bluetooth LAN Access Profile or LAP, I get
a strange connection, which is not of the type LAN or Hi-Speed Internet.
Again the IP address assigned is of the type 192.168.0.141. With this
connection in place, I can only ping from my PC to laptop, but not
vice-versa. I can open my shared folder on laptop from my PC, but the
vice-versa is again not possible.

The setup I did : I have run the Network setup wizard for Home and small
business networking on both the machines and configured everythign in the
manner described in the Windows XP help and support.

My queries : How do I share the internet connection from my PC to laptop. Do
I need to bridge any networks? Bridging itself has some problems, i.e. I
cannot bridge networks which have ICS(Ineternet Connection sharing) enabled.
Also I cannot bridge my broadband internet connection and the bluetooth LAP
connection because they are of different types.

On which connection do I enable ICS, as in on my LAP or my broadband
connections. What are the correct IP addresses which my machines should have
in order to comply with the home networking rules.?

Please can someone help me out and details me as to how to go about doing
the same. Thanks for reading all through the question.

Awating a reply.
TIA and regards,
Shishir