Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Glitches in post-layout (PAR) simulation

Glitches in post-layout (PAR) simulation

Manny

Hey all,

I've managed to synthesize a particular DSP core on Actel's fusion
FPGA. I'm using this as a benchmark to assess their suitability for
further integration. I'm a bit new when it comes to Actel. Anyway, it
seems that when running post-PAR simulation I end up having a periodic
pattern of 1ns wide glitches in my output signal every like 4 or
slightly less sampling periods. My design is fully synchronous. I have
no clue whatsoever about the source of the glitches. I even tried to
leave some temporal margin before doing the final output assignment
(for thigs to settle down) but it didn't work. Would really appreciate
it if anybody can give me an insight on possible problematic sources.
I'm yet to run my design in hardware as I'm still waiting for the kit
to arrive.

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers,

Zara

On 12 Oct 2006 11:55:43 -0700, "Manny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I've managed to synthesize a particular DSP core on Actel's fusion
>FPGA. I'm using this as a benchmark to assess their suitability for
>further integration. I'm a bit new when it comes to Actel. Anyway, it
>seems that when running post-PAR simulation I end up having a periodic
>pattern of 1ns wide glitches in my output signal every like 4 or
>slightly less sampling periods. My design is fully synchronous. I have
>no clue whatsoever about the source of the glitches. I even tried to
>leave some temporal margin before doing the final output assignment
>(for thigs to settle down) but it didn't work. Would really appreciate
>it if anybody can give me an insight on possible problematic sources.
>I'm yet to run my design in hardware as I'm still waiting for the kit
>to arrive.
>
>Thanks in advance guys.
>
>Cheers,

Typically, any synchronous system consist of some asynchronous logic
connected to the input of some synchronous registers, whose ouputs
generate the "result" signals via some asynchronous logic.

You should look at that last part, or at a"outpuit" logic that
combines directly some input signals (optionally plus some synchronous
signals).

For instance, you may have an FSM whihch takes some inputs, and
changes state following this inputs and some feedback.

The statements of the like:

my_output <= async_input when FSM=STATE1 else '0';

are possible sources of glitches

regrads,

Zara

Problem with post-route simulation / timing simulation jasperng VHDL 0 11-27-2008 06:23 AM
virtual PC/Server 2003 hosting glitches... =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?= ASP .Net 3 01-17-2006 05:40 PM
[Media] Only IT certification can help prevent another wave of costly technology glitches T-Bone MCSE 1 02-02-2005 03:50 PM
Glitches? The Weiss Family VHDL 3 07-04-2004 12:23 AM
Deliberate output glitches claire_ess VHDL 1 05-07-2004 04:51 PM

Advertisments