Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No Floppy Drive When Running Network Wizard

No Floppy Drive When Running Network Wizard

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=

I know this sounds silly but I want to run the Netwrok Wizrd to set up file
sharing and printer sharing on my frined's wireless netwrok.

He has a Linksys router that is cabled to his desktop (and cable modem) and
he has two laptops that connect via wireless. He wants to share his printer
(that's attached to his desktop) and files betwene all three computers.

How can I run the Netwrok Wizrd on his desktop if he doesn't have a floppy
drive????
I know that it's one of the last steps of the wizard to write to a floppy
and then take the floppy to the other computers.

How cxan I do that if he doesn't have a floppy on his desktop machine???

Thanks for any tips/tricks!
Tony

Malke

Tony V wrote:

> I know this sounds silly but I want to run the Netwrok Wizrd to set up
> file sharing and printer sharing on my frined's wireless netwrok.
>
> He has a Linksys router that is cabled to his desktop (and cable
> modem) and he has two laptops that connect via wireless. He wants to
> share his printer (that's attached to his desktop) and files betwene
> all three computers.
>
> How can I run the Netwrok Wizrd on his desktop if he doesn't have a
> floppy drive????
> I know that it's one of the last steps of the wizard to write to a
> floppy and then take the floppy to the other computers.
>
> How cxan I do that if he doesn't have a floppy on his desktop
> machine???

Just run the Network Setup Wizard manually on the other machines. This
is to set up the lan for file/printer sharing. For the wireless
connection, all you need to do is enter the encryption key when each
laptop's wireless manager (Windows or the adapter's software) tells you
there is a wireless network available.

Here's a cut/paste about lan sharing:

Run the Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable
File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
matters in your situation.

Shared Documents folder.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

AJR

If running the wizard is your goal - copy it to a CD.

"Tony V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know this sounds silly but I want to run the Netwrok Wizrd to set up file
> sharing and printer sharing on my frined's wireless netwrok.
>
> He has a Linksys router that is cabled to his desktop (and cable modem)
> and
> he has two laptops that connect via wireless. He wants to share his
> printer
> (that's attached to his desktop) and files betwene all three computers.
>
> How can I run the Netwrok Wizrd on his desktop if he doesn't have a floppy
> drive????
> I know that it's one of the last steps of the wizard to write to a floppy
> and then take the floppy to the other computers.
>
> How cxan I do that if he doesn't have a floppy on his desktop machine???
>
> Thanks for any tips/tricks!
> Tony

=?Utf-8?B?ZHdhcm5lcjMwdWs=?=

Thanks AJR, but the wizard doesn't even see my DVD/CD drive ! It reports that
I have no floppy or removable media devices. I'd love to hear usofts answer
to that one.
David