Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Catalyst 5500 - Modules ??

Catalyst 5500 - Modules ??

Brian Ipsen

Hi,

I just got my hands on a Catalyst 5500 switch - and I've been asked to
upgrade it with more ports.

The chassis has 13 slots, where slot 1 & 2 has been used for Supervisor II
modules ... Another slot is used for the Router (layer 3) module .. Besides
this, another 4 slots are occupied...

So slots 8-13 are available - but as far as I remember, one or more of the
slots can only be used for certain type of modules (slot 13 seem to have a
special connector on the backplane).

Can I polulate slot 8-12 with e.g. WS-X 5224 modules - and everything will
work (all added ports will be available) ??

Regards,

/Brian

Andrey Tarasov

Hello, Brian!
You wrote on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:34:54 +0100:

BI> The chassis has 13 slots, where slot 1 & 2 has been used for
BI> Supervisor II modules ...

BI> Another slot is used for the Router (layer 3) module .. Besides this,
BI> another 4 slots are occupied...

BI> So slots 8-13 are available - but as far as I remember, one or
BI> more of the slots can only be used for certain type of modules
BI> (slot 13 seem to have a special connector on the backplane).

BI> Can I polulate slot 8-12 with e.g. WS-X 5224 modules - and
BI> everything will work (all added ports will be available) ??

Here is part of Catalyst 5500 Switching System Data Sheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08009260b.html

The Catalyst 5500 is a 13-slot chassis with two dedicated slots---slots 1 and
13. Slot 1 is dedicated for the Supervisor Engine that monitors all system
components and is responsible for all frame-switching and forwarding functions
in the switch. Supervisor Engine II or Supervisor III is required for operation
of the Catalyst 5500. A Supervisor II is a 1.2Gbps switch fabric. A Supervisor
III is a 3.6Gbps crossbar switching fabric. Slot 13 is the second dedicated slot
and is reserved for the LS1010 ATM Switch Processor (ASP) module or Catalyst
8510 Switch Route Processor (SRP). The ASP or SRP modules are 10Gbps switching
fabrics and are required if interface modules from the LightStream 1010 or
Catalyst 8510 are to be used in the Catalyst 5500.

The Catalyst 5500 architecture is based on a combination of two high-capacity
switching fabrics integrated into a single platform. This architecture ensures
optimal performance whether the Catalyst 5500 is used as a high-density cell or
a frame switch. All Catalyst 5000 Family interface modules can be used in slots
2 to 12, whereas LightStream 1010 or Catalyst 8510 modules can be used in slots
9 to 12. Slot 2 is a dual-purpose slot that can be used for either a redundant
Supervisor Engine or any Catalyst 5000 family interface module.

With best regards,
Andrey.