Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Multiple Wireless Logins on Same laptop

Multiple Wireless Logins on Same laptop

=?Utf-8?B?cmlnaHRjb2FzdG5vdmljZQ==?=

My laptop connects wirelessly using wep. I can log-on and connect to the
internet as admin. I can log-on and connect to the internet as another user.
However, I cannot log-on as both users and have internet connectivity to
both. I can log-out of one, switch users, and the other will have
connectivity.

Is this an XP issue, or is my wireless router level unable to assign two
different IPs to users on the same computer? DI-624 router.

Doug Sherman [MVP]

The router will only provide one IP per adapter regardless of who is logged
onto the computer. XP does not support having two users logged onto the
computer at the same time. After logging on a user could supply different
credentials in order to establish some other kind of connection - eg. VPN.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"rightcoastnovice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My laptop connects wirelessly using wep. I can log-on and connect to the
> internet as admin. I can log-on and connect to the internet as another

user.
> However, I cannot log-on as both users and have internet connectivity to
> both. I can log-out of one, switch users, and the other will have
> connectivity.
>
> Is this an XP issue, or is my wireless router level unable to assign two
> different IPs to users on the same computer? DI-624 router.

David Hettel

The "Internet" has no real concept of who you are, the Internet does know
about your computer however. You may visit a site on the Internet and log
into that site as anyone you like, this does not generally require a
specific IP address. You can be logged into a number of sites using
different user names and passwords at the same time, I regularly do this.
Perhaps if you explained what you are trying to do we could better explain
how to accomplish your goals.

--
David Hettel

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

confers no rights

"rightcoastnovice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My laptop connects wirelessly using wep. I can log-on and connect to the
> internet as admin. I can log-on and connect to the internet as another
> user.
> However, I cannot log-on as both users and have internet connectivity to
> both. I can log-out of one, switch users, and the other will have
> connectivity.
>
> Is this an XP issue, or is my wireless router level unable to assign two
> different IPs to users on the same computer? DI-624 router.

=?Utf-8?B?cmlnaHRjb2FzdG5vdmljZQ==?=

Thanks. That probably saved me a couple of hours of frustration.