Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Is key length important when using WPA-PSK Encryption ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Is key length important when using WPA-PSK Encryption ?

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
The default key that came with my DSL modem/router/switch is 10 characters
long. I was planning to change the key and make it longer, but a DSL tech
support person with my ISP indicated a longer key wouldn't be any more secure
than a 10 digit key and that a longer key could/would cause my home network
to slow down because of unnecessary overhead. Is this tech on top of his
game?
--
So much to learn... So little time.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Hettel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2006
In simple words NO!

The longer the key the more secure it is. Short keys in WPA can make it less
secure than WEP!

--
David Hettel

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights


"Roughneck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The default key that came with my DSL modem/router/switch is 10 characters
> long. I was planning to change the key and make it longer, but a DSL tech
> support person with my ISP indicated a longer key wouldn't be any more
> secure
> than a 10 digit key and that a longer key could/would cause my home
> network
> to slow down because of unnecessary overhead. Is this tech on top of his
> game?
> --
> So much to learn... So little time.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006
Thanks for the reply, David.

Would a 10 character key be considered a "short" key?

Is there any consensus or generally accepted rules in regards to how many
characters would be needed in a key for it to be considered
poor/fair/good/better/best? (I'm assuming the key does not consist of any
words or combination of words that could be found in a dictionary.)

Is there a point at which the benefit from increasing the number of
characters might begin to fall off and/or begin to adversely affect network
traffic?

I assume there's a limit as to the number of characters that can be used in
a key. If so, do you know what it is?

Thanks so much for any additional help you can give.
--
So much to learn... So little time.


"David Hettel" wrote:

> In simple words NO!
>
> The longer the key the more secure it is. Short keys in WPA can make it less
> secure than WEP!
>
> --
> David Hettel
>
> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights
>
>
> "Roughneck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The default key that came with my DSL modem/router/switch is 10 characters
> > long. I was planning to change the key and make it longer, but a DSL tech
> > support person with my ISP indicated a longer key wouldn't be any more
> > secure
> > than a 10 digit key and that a longer key could/would cause my home
> > network
> > to slow down because of unnecessary overhead. Is this tech on top of his
> > game?
> > --
> > So much to learn... So little time.

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon May
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006
http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/

read through this page, he gives some good advice

GM


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006
Interesting! And I was wondering if I would be over-doing it with a 20
character key.
--
So much to learn... So little time.


"Gordon May" wrote:

> http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/
>
> read through this page, he gives some good advice
>
> GM
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006
On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 15:35:02 -0700, Roughneck
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The default key that came with my DSL modem/router/switch is 10 characters
>long. I was planning to change the key and make it longer, but a DSL tech
>support person with my ISP indicated a longer key wouldn't be any more secure
>than a 10 digit key and that a longer key could/would cause my home network
>to slow down because of unnecessary overhead. Is this tech on top of his
>game?


i use a 64-character WAP key on my wireless router. i've noticed no
problems. if there is any slowdown its negligible.

73,
rich, n9dko
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006
On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:20:02 -0700, Roughneck
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply, David.
>
>Would a 10 character key be considered a "short" key?
>
>Is there any consensus or generally accepted rules in regards to how many
>characters would be needed in a key for it to be considered
>poor/fair/good/better/best? (I'm assuming the key does not consist of any
>words or combination of words that could be found in a dictionary.)
>
>Is there a point at which the benefit from increasing the number of
>characters might begin to fall off and/or begin to adversely affect network
>traffic?


at the rate at which data is processed the extra time needed must be
infinitestimal.

>
>I assume there's a limit as to the number of characters that can be used in
>a key. If so, do you know what it is?


64. longer is better.
>
>Thanks so much for any additional help you can give.


i think i typed "WAP" in an earlier post when i meant "WPA". in any
case use the longer key and rest easy.

73,
rich, n9dko

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Um91Z2huZWNr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006
Thanks again, everyone--you're help is VERY much appreciated. I'll get the
key beefed up right away.
--
So much to learn... So little time.


"Roughneck" wrote:

> The default key that came with my DSL modem/router/switch is 10 characters
> long. I was planning to change the key and make it longer, but a DSL tech
> support person with my ISP indicated a longer key wouldn't be any more secure
> than a 10 digit key and that a longer key could/would cause my home network
> to slow down because of unnecessary overhead. Is this tech on top of his
> game?
> --
> So much to learn... So little time.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Philip Doragh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2006
"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 15:35:02 -0700, Roughneck
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The default key that came with my DSL modem/router/switch is 10 characters
>>long. I was planning to change the key and make it longer, but a DSL tech
>>support person with my ISP indicated a longer key wouldn't be any more
>>secure
>>than a 10 digit key and that a longer key could/would cause my home
>>network
>>to slow down because of unnecessary overhead. Is this tech on top of his
>>game?

>
> i use a 64-character WAP key on my wireless router. i've noticed no
> problems. if there is any slowdown its negligible.
>
> 73,
> rich, n9dko


The tech is completely wrong and has no earthly clue about how WPA-PSK is
designed and implemented. The PSK (Pre-Shared Key) is not used to actually
encrypt the data and its length does not change the length of the encryption
key. The PSK is used by the client and AP to authenticate each other and
produce the encryption key through a known shared algorithm (TKIP for WPA,
AES for WPA2).

Phil Doragh


 
Reply With Quote
 
Axel Hammerschmidt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2006
Philip Doragh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

> The tech is completely wrong and has no earthly clue about how WPA-PSK is
> designed and implemented. The PSK (Pre-Shared Key) is not used to actually
> encrypt the data and its length does not change the length of the encryption
> key. The PSK is used by the client and AP to authenticate each other and
> produce the encryption key through a known shared algorithm (TKIP for WPA,
> AES for WPA2).


True, but a short key can be broken using a dictionary- or brute force
attack. That said, the way WPA-PSK is implemented in no way slows down
the connection because the RC4 cipher still uses the hardware on the
chipset the same way as WEP.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PGP Encryption by using recipients key Deepa General Computer Support 0 09-02-2009 06:39 AM
Which hard drive encryption program has the strongest tested encryption & security? =?iso-8859-1?Q?-=3D|__=28=BAL=BA=29__|=3D-____o=3D=5B:::::::::::::::=BB?= Computer Security 6 02-20-2008 01:35 PM
Replace Tab Key to Return Key (Enter Key) from Web Forms? M P ASP General 1 08-06-2004 08:32 AM
How to get length of string? length() problems Mitchua Perl 5 07-17-2003 12:08 AM



Advertisments